Aftermarket cooler yes or no.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Installing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Installing
Member since 2010 • 678 Posts

I have a Phenom 955 (90w) CPU. It came with a cheap aluminium cooler (it seems that the 125w version of the CPU comes with a better stock cooler with heatpipes.)

My temperatures are about 45 degrees idle (or 37-38 degrees with cool n quiet turned on and the CPU underclocked.)

The temperature never really goes past 50 degrees,

The stock cooler seems like a bit of a joke that it came with a phenom, but perhaps it being 90w it doesn't really need such a great cooler.

I have no intention to overclock. That being the case and the temperatures I just mentioned, do you think it would be a waste of money investing in an aftermarket cooler? Perhaps I could get the CPU down 5 degrees or so, but perhaps it isn't necessary.

Marfoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Marfoo
Member since 2004 • 6002 Posts
[QUOTE="Installing"]

I have a Phenom 955 (90w) CPU. It came with a cheap aluminium cooler (it seems that the 125w version of the CPU comes with a better stock cooler with heatpipes.)

My temperatures are about 45 degrees idle (or 37-38 degrees with cool n quiet turned on and the CPU underclocked.)

The stock cooler seems like a bit of a joke that it came with a phenom, but perhaps it being 90w it doesn't really need such a great cooler.

I have no intention to overclock. That being the case and the temperatures I just mentioned, do you think it would be a waste of money investing in an aftermarket cooler? Perhaps I could get the CPU down 5 degrees or so, but perhaps it isn't necessary.

If you're not going to overclock don't get a new cooler. Those temps are fine. The only reason I could think of that you would want to upgrade is maybe the stock cooler is too loud and you want a quieter solution.
Installing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Installing
Member since 2010 • 678 Posts
[QUOTE="Marfoo"][QUOTE="Installing"]

If you're not going to overclock don't get a new cooler. Those temps are fine. The only reason I could think of that you would want to upgrade is maybe the stock cooler is too loud and you want a quieter solution.

I see. It's not loud at all really. I guess I was just surprised that such a cheap cooler would seem to work well enough. No copper base or heatpipes or anything. Just a cheap bit of aluminum with a small fan. I think most athlons come with this cooler too.
SubGum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SubGum
Member since 2003 • 1740 Posts

Prety much all modern day CPUs come with coolers designed to sufficiently cool the CPU under heavy load at stock clock speeds.

So since you're not overclocking, I'm pretty confident that that cooler will be perfectly fine for you as long as your case is properly ventilated.

Avatar image for -GeordiLaForge-
-GeordiLaForge-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 -GeordiLaForge-
Member since 2006 • 7167 Posts
Why not overclock? Do you game? Overclocking can dramatically improve performance, if you have good cooling that is... C2D e8400 @ 4.7GHz + SLI G92 8800's > > > Stock i7 920 + GTX 295...
Avatar image for Richard_The_Gr8
Richard_The_Gr8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 Richard_The_Gr8
Member since 2009 • 620 Posts

you're missing out not overclocking the 955, get a £15 cooler like AC freezer 7 or hyper 212+ and you can OC to 4Ghz... bingo bango

Avatar image for Richard_The_Gr8
Richard_The_Gr8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 Richard_The_Gr8
Member since 2009 • 620 Posts

btw what website is that where you can compare your pc against others?

danjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 danjammer69
Member since 2004 • 4331 Posts

While your stock cooler should be fine if you are not overclocking, it can never hurt to upgrade in order to keep temps down even further.