After all the "rage" over Rage...it's really a great game.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 BSC14
Member since 2002 • 4187 Posts

I know a lot of people are unhappy over the driver issues and whatnot but it really is a great game. I hate that it's been bashed into the ground because it's one of the better FPS I have played in a while.

Just my opinion...but if you have passed on it over the driver issues you really should give it a chance. It does not really do anything "new" but still good fun imo.

MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#2 MyopicCanadian
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts

What bothered me the most is reports on game length, especially considering it's a $60 game. I can deal with technical issues.

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

What bothered me the most is reports on game length, especially considering it's a $60 game. I can deal with technical issues.

MyopicCanadian

It's longer than most other first-person shooters releasing this generation.

Also, I very much agree with you TC. Maybe my love for John Carmack is getting in the way, but I don't see why people are still completely bashing the game.

CUDGEdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 CUDGEdave
Member since 2010 • 2597 Posts

Yep,There was too much moaning about RAGE ,It's a good game not an award winner but good,Also I played on MP last night and that was good fun.

ShoTTyMcNaDeS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 ShoTTyMcNaDeS
Member since 2011 • 2784 Posts
RAGE is good, but I think that Borderlands content and gameplay wise offers a very similar but better experience!!
MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#6 MyopicCanadian
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts

[QUOTE="MyopicCanadian"]

Phoenix534

It's longer than most other first-person shooters releasing this generation.

Also, I very much agree with you TC. Maybe my love for John Carmack is getting in the way, but I don't see why people are still completely bashing the game.

"Most" other first-person shooters also have a strong multiplayer component. What's RAGE's again? Car deathmatch?
AR-15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 AR-15
Member since 2003 • 261 Posts

RAGE is good, but I think that Borderlands content and gameplay wise offers a very similar but better experience!!ShoTTyMcNaDeS

This.

Rage isn't a badgame, it just isn't as good as many people felt it could have been.

In my opinion, Borderlands is a much better game in pretty much every way, and when you consider the amount of time spent developing Rage, it makes Borderlands even more impressive.

id needs to really step it up with Doom 4.

Brean24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Brean24
Member since 2007 • 1659 Posts
Rage certainly isn't a bad game, but it could have been so much more. The story was underdeveloped and quite disappointing, and the ending was horrible. It is also very short for a open-world game, I beat it in 10 hours and 16 minutes on Normal Difficulty. That includes all the side quests and most of the races. While that is longer than most FPS games, for a game that's been in development for 6 years, 10-12 hours is really not that long, and nowhere near the 15 hours that id promised.
BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BSC14
Member since 2002 • 4187 Posts

RAGE is good, but I think that Borderlands content and gameplay wise offers a very similar but better experience!!ShoTTyMcNaDeS

really? Man, I hate Borderlands....not sure what it was but just did not feel that one.

Avatar image for IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
IxX3xil3d0n3XxI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#10 IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
Member since 2006 • 1508 Posts
Rage should be a longer game considering Carmack said hes been working on it for 6 years....
Gladestone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Gladestone1
Member since 2004 • 5695 Posts

Rage should be a longer game considering Carmack said hes been working on it for 6 years....IxX3xil3d0n3XxI

With all the sidequests it is a longer game..Its not bad about 20 hours with all the quests and such..Driving quests also are in there..Its worth it more than some crummy short 10 hour games ive played..He worked on the engine for maybe 4 years and the game itself id say maybe 3 ..New engines take a long time to make..

jedikevin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#12 jedikevin2
Member since 2004 • 5263 Posts
Personally I don't see it worth buying at a 60 dollar price tag expecially on Pc. Wtih other FPs shooters this year being ok and within 3-4 months costing literally 1/2 the price, I just can't see justifying paying so much for a shooter like that. Probably will pick it up a year for now for 10 dollars like I did bulletstorm.
Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Phoenix534

Rage should be a longer game considering Carmack said hes been working on it for 6 years....IxX3xil3d0n3XxI

He had to build the engine before he could could get id working on the rest of the game.

Brean24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Brean24

[QUOTE="IxX3xil3d0n3XxI"]Rage should be a longer game considering Carmack said hes been working on it for 6 years....Gladestone1

With all the sidequests it is a longer game..Its not bad about 20 hours with all the quests and such..Driving quests also are in there..Its worth it more than some crummy short 10 hour games ive played..He worked on the engine for maybe 4 years and the game itself id say maybe 3 ..New engines take a long time to make..

Its not even close to 20 hours with all the quests. I completed the game in 10 hours with all the side quests on the normal Difficulty.
Zubinen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Zubinen
Member since 2011 • 2555 Posts
Content wise, yes, it offers more, but that's not always a good thing for a game that's effectively like an mmorpg but offline. In fact, if any mmorpg weren't massively multiplayer, you'd say the gameplay is horrific, and well, such games thrive on addiction and false hope of achievement, as opposed to actually having fun. Not sure what you're talking about, RAGE has best-in-class AI, procedurally generated animations, and thanks to the non-repeating virtual textures, every single area of the game world looks unique, not to mention its solid combat mechanics(even when only comparing it to other AAA titles) and vehicles that handle quite well, as opposed to the wonky garbage we saw Gearbox give us with Borderlands. If anything, the fact that you don't have to grind endlessly on monotonous addiction driven quests is a pro, not a con, and if we remove such actions from Borderlands, we'd have much less content than what we see in RAGE. As for whether it actually resembles RAGE or not, yes, both RAGE and Borderlands are heavily inspired by Mad Max :)
Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

It's not worth 60 bucks for the issues it had. It may be an awesome game, but I have no great urge to play it until it goes on sale. Not to mention I have a boatload of other games that need to be played.

Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts

I agree, and being AMD, I felt the full force of the driver issues :D

The gameplay is solid, I don't care much for the car combat, but it's easily the most fun shooter I've played this gen.

I hope id, either doesn't bother with story for Doom4 or, steps it up a lot and gets the presentation and everything really solid. Sota sad that Rage's story is meaningless and disjunct, and the initial presentation is just... bad, it really doesn't transition from beginning into "here's your gun, kill stuff" very smoothly.

Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts

I'm loving it. Great gameplay, atmosphere and graphics.

telefanatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 telefanatic
Member since 2007 • 3008 Posts

I love the game, its something fresh from everything else i been playing.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#20 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Besides having a bad attempt at a story, I quite enjoyed the game. Gunplay was very good and I enjoyed the atmosphere and AI movements.

Far from perfect but a solid 8/10 for me, even if it was clearly made for consoles.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#21 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

[QUOTE="Gladestone1"]

[QUOTE="IxX3xil3d0n3XxI"]Rage should be a longer game considering Carmack said hes been working on it for 6 years....Brean24

Its not even close to 20 hours with all the quests. I completed the game in 10 hours with all the side quests on the normal Difficulty.

Took one of my friends 18 hours to beat it on normal, another it took 11 hours on normal.. everyone is different

SickStench

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SickStench
Member since 2010 • 495 Posts

I know a lot of people are unhappy over the driver issues and whatnot but it really is a great game. I hate that it's been bashed into the ground because it's one of the better FPS I have played in a while.

Just my opinion...but if you have passed on it over the driver issues you really should give it a chance. It does not really do anything "new" but still good fun imo.

BSC14

I'm personally enjoying RAGE myself. Although I seem to have found myself in a dilemma, like I have been lately. It seems that most developers don't want to release the game with the graphics that they promised it would have. So I buy the game assuming they will, and then find out during mid-play they're going to be updating the graphics. I love RAGE so far, and I have played about 8 hours, mostly goofing around and finding the secert stashes or just doing stupid stuff. Now I'm faced with, do I wait for the upsampled texture patch to come out, or do I go ahead and finsih my play through and not worry about that graphics patch? I think overall the graphics are great, but upclose a total fail. Also, I don't even seem to be able to play a non multi-player game twice. So should I complete the game, or wait and then complete it? :((((((((

SickStench

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SickStench
Member since 2010 • 495 Posts

[QUOTE="Brean24"][QUOTE="Gladestone1"]

kozzy1234

Took one of my friends 18 hours to beat it on normal, another it took 11 hours on normal.. everyone is different

Yeah, it really depends if you're blazing through the game, or wandering around doing other things. Personally, I'm wandering around doing other things.

yonyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 yonyz
Member since 2008 • 651 Posts
I hate it when every major developer out there is developing their own engine, which takes them years to develop, master and optimize. Why not use some standard engines, like Unreal 3? I love this engine. It looks amazing (Arkham Asylum!), it runs so much better than most other engines out there, it's multiplatform, and it works great with old hardware. Too much time is wasted on developing new graphics technologies. Just focus your time on gameplay and stories, develpers! Let Epic or Valve create the next engine. :)
TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 TerrorRizzing
Member since 2010 • 4232 Posts
I dont think borderalnds feels the same at all, the gunplay is just much much better in rage.
Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Inconsistancy

I hate it when every major developer out there is developing their own engine, which takes them years to develop, master and optimize. Why not use some standard engines, like Unreal 3? I love this engine. It looks amazing (Arkham Asylum!), it runs so much better than most other engines out there, it's multiplatform, and it works great with old hardware. Too much time is wasted on developing new graphics technologies. Just focus your time on gameplay and stories, develpers! Let Epic or Valve create the next engine. :)yonyz

Valve? Why Valve? Source is the furthest thing from a 'good' engine, it's basically a 2003 engine with a few updates. If anything, Valve should stop using Source, I don't think they have the talent in-house to make a great engine.

id wanted something that no engine offered, and id's still (even with the hate) the best at programming/optimization and achieved what they wanted (while running into a ton of technical limitations...). The story (the only really weak point of Rage) could have been focused on before the engine was finished, it was just a poor design decision that didn't seem to have much thought to it. And the gameplay (purely from a shooting perspective) is better than any Valve game anyway.

I'm personally enjoying RAGE myself. Although I seem to have found myself in a dilemma, like I have been lately. It seems that most developers don't want to release the game with the graphics that they promised it would have. So I buy the game assuming they will, and then find out during mid-play they're going to be updating the graphics. I love RAGE so far, and I have played about 8 hours, mostly goofing around and finding the secert stashes or just doing stupid stuff. Now I'm faced with, do I wait for the upsampled texture patch to come out, or do I go ahead and finsih my play through and not worry about that graphics patch? I think overall the graphics are great, but upclose a total fail. Also, I don't even seem to be able to play a non multi-player game twice. So should I complete the game, or wait and then complete it? :((((((((

SickStench

Don't want to release with the graphics they 'promised'? Rage's graphics are exactly what was always promised, if you watched any interviews with Carmack you would have known where it's limitations were and what the 'promise' was.

Brean24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Brean24

[QUOTE="Brean24"][QUOTE="Gladestone1"]

kozzy1234

Fair enough, but despite everyone being different, there is not nearly as much content as there should have been. That being said after playing the multiplayer modes, Rage is certainly bigger than the average first person shooter, but still quite a disappointment for what it could have been. The story could have been so good, unfortunately the narrative suffers near the end of the middle and the end, and though the characters were actually very decent, they really weren't used to their potential.
yonyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 yonyz
Member since 2008 • 651 Posts

[QUOTE="yonyz"]I hate it when every major developer out there is developing their own engine, which takes them years to develop, master and optimize. Why not use some standard engines, like Unreal 3? I love this engine. It looks amazing (Arkham Asylum!), it runs so much better than most other engines out there, it's multiplatform, and it works great with old hardware. Too much time is wasted on developing new graphics technologies. Just focus your time on gameplay and stories, develpers! Let Epic or Valve create the next engine. :)Inconsistancy

Valve? Why Valve? Source is the furthest thing from a 'good' engine, it's basically a 2003 engine with a few updates. If anything, Valve should stop using Source, I don't think they have the talent in-house to make a great engine.

id wanted something that no engine offered, and id's still (even with the hate) the best at programming/optimization and achieved what they wanted (while running into a ton of technical limitations...). The story (the only really weak point of Rage) could have been focused on before the engine was finished, it was just a poor design decision that didn't seem to have much thought to it. And the gameplay (purely from a shooting perspective) is better than any Valve game anywayInconsistancy

I think Source still looks good (TF2, Portal, Portal 2 all look amazing). It's all about the artistic design. Battlefield 3 is technologically advanced more than Source, but TF2 has a unique, beautiful, artistic design. Oh, and the Source engine runs great too.

Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Inconsistancy

[QUOTE="Inconsistancy"]

[QUOTE="yonyz"] yonyz

id wanted something that no engine offered, and id's still (even with the hate) the best at programming/optimization and achieved what they wanted (while running into a ton of technical limitations...). The story (the only really weak point of Rage) could have been focused on before the engine was finished, it was just a poor design decision that didn't seem to have much thought to it. And the gameplay (purely from a shooting perspective) is better than any Valve game anywayInconsistancy

I think Source still looks good (TF2, Portal, Portal 2 all look amazing). It's all about the artistic design. Battlefield 3 is technologically advanced more than Source, but TF2 has a unique, beautiful, artistic design. Oh, and the Source engine runs great too.

Source runs great 'cause it's a joke from a technical standpoint... Art can be done in any engine, Source just forces it since it has nothing else.
iamrob7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#30 iamrob7
Member since 2007 • 2138 Posts

It is a good game in a lot of respects, reasonably enjoyable. However for an open world RPG/FPS it is very short. The story is virtually non existent, the characters and world are wooden...the areas are linear and absurdly limited (even in Doom 3 I could jump over 3 foot high railings).

It is very similar to Borderlands in feel, except Borderlands was much bigger, much longer, more creative/inventive, had better looting + RPG elements and 4 player Coop. Rage is better in some ways though, the driving, the shooting, some animations etc. It just lacks the quality you would want and expect of such a release.

Incidentally I never experienced a single problem with the game bar some weird graphical tearing on the title screen. It's not a terrible game and there isn't anything hugely wrong with it. It just suffers from an extreme lack of ambition and scope. Personally it also comes with a list of petty complaints that is alarmingly long. Whilst none of those things are any major issue by themselves, or even several of them. All of them combined add up to a missed opportunity.

Goro69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Goro69
Member since 2011 • 98 Posts
It's not a great game at all. The amount of detail and artwork is great, that's about it. I find the game fun, but it's a 7/10 game that isn't worth 60 $. Should have spent my money on NBA 2k12, which is fun but lasts way longer than Rage, I could have bought that and another.
anthraxcpp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 anthraxcpp
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
I'm only about 5 hours into rage (just finished destroying the shrouded RC cars) and I honestly can't tell what the point of the main story is. Yeah sure the, these bandits are attacking our city, kill them blah blah and the authority is this figure trying to kill me, but there is just no point in the story for me. It doesn't urge me to do something important like it should. But if you forget the story (which is honestly one of the worst I have even seen so far, even though I'm not far in) it's still a great game. Gunfights are awesome, driving through the wasteland is amazing, the characters are well developed. Graphics are very nice (I played this game on Xbox btw).
Gooeykat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#33 Gooeykat
Member since 2006 • 3412 Posts
Yeah, it's a good game, not great. Not enough money for what you get. MP is really lite and this suprising given this is an id game. SP was good but it was too linear, there wasn't enough to do for such a big world. It very solid in the action department (shooting felt fantastic and the racing was fun). Art Design was fantastic in my opinion, a beautiful game over and it runs perfectly.
trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 trastamad03
Member since 2006 • 4859 Posts

I liked it... but 60$ didn't justify it.

Gooeykat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#35 Gooeykat
Member since 2006 • 3412 Posts
[QUOTE="ShoTTyMcNaDeS"]RAGE is good, but I think that Borderlands content and gameplay wise offers a very similar but better experience!!TerrorRizzing
I dont think borderalnds feels the same at all, the gunplay is just much much better in rage.

Agree, I like Borderlands but the gunplay is far superior in RAGE. Plus Borderlands ran like a fat cow on my rig and I'm way above the recommended.
Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36 Daytona_178
Member since 2005 • 14962 Posts

[QUOTE="IxX3xil3d0n3XxI"]Rage should be a longer game considering Carmack said hes been working on it for 6 years....Phoenix534

He had to build the engine before he could could get id working on the rest of the game.

Ha, you make it sounds like he did all the hard work of making the engine.
SaintJimmmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SaintJimmmy
Member since 2007 • 2815 Posts
I've heard so many mixed views on this i have no idea if it warrants a buy or not
Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Phoenix534

[QUOTE="Phoenix534"]

[QUOTE="IxX3xil3d0n3XxI"]Rage should be a longer game considering Carmack said hes been working on it for 6 years....Daytona_178

Ha, you make it sounds like he did all the hard work of making the engine.

He does do a majority of the work for the engines. While most of id is working on Doom 4, him and some of the coders are working on id Tech 6.

bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts
the game is good but I dont feel $60 is justified.
Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Inconsistancy
the game is good but I dont feel $60 is justified.bonafidetk
Why do people keep saying it's 60$? I'm pretty sure it was 43$.
Brean24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Brean24
[QUOTE="bonafidetk"]the game is good but I dont feel $60 is justified.Inconsistancy

It's 60 dollars on steam, direct2drive, all retail stores, and I paid 60 dollars for it as well.
Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Inconsistancy
[QUOTE="Inconsistancy"][QUOTE="bonafidetk"]the game is good but I dont feel $60 is justified.Brean24

It's 60 dollars on steam, direct2drive, all retail stores, and I paid 60 dollars for it as well.

That's what sales are for, D2D has them so often even.
Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#43 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

I imported it from the Uk for 40 dollars. You just have to put a little effort in searching the best deals.

staserman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 staserman
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
BTW , did anyone noticed the editing tools ? are there any mods made for this game ? thanks.
illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#45 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

I imported it from the Uk for 40 dollars. You just have to put a little effort in searching the best deals.

Baranga
That's what I did. $40 Australian dollars it ended up being. It's $90 in our Steam store.
Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Inconsistancy
BTW , did anyone noticed the editing tools ? are there any mods made for this game ? thanks.staserman
Mod tools aren't out yet. :cry:
shanewiso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 shanewiso
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
I agree, not an award winner... but I enjoyed it overall. Cheers, shanewiso