Advice needed. Is this worth it?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sal_stinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 sal_stinger
Member since 2004 • 778 Posts

Alienware mx14 r1

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit OS (6.1, build 7601)
Intel Core i7 2760QM CPU @ 2.40 GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.4Ghz
720 GB SATA HDD @ 7,200 RPM
8,192MB ram 1333mhz
nVidia GeForce GT 555m with 3,072MB of dedicated DDR3 graphics card memory
DVD+RW 
6 cell Li-ion battery 

Also comes with 104 new games installed through his Steam account

He's asking for $850. I think it's a good purchase but then again I'm not too well versed when it comes to laptops/PC. The reason why I want to buy a gaming laptop is because I'm always traveling and always on the go. I haven't been into gaming for over 6 years now (I do own a vita but not too content with the game library). I currently own an n5010 i5 2.5 Ghz but it has integrated HD which means it doesn't really handle games well. Advice/comments/concerns? Thank you

nilzg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 nilzg
Member since 2008 • 753 Posts
I'm not commenting on the Alienware laptop aside from that I wouldn't do it because I don't like Alienware. But how will you get his steam account? if he doesn't give you his password you're screwed..
sal_stinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 sal_stinger
He said he'll be giving his Steam and battle.net account. May I ask why people dislike Alienware?
Socijalisticka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Socijalisticka
Member since 2011 • 1555 Posts

Terrible.  Build your own.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

He said he'll be giving his Steam and battle.net account. May I ask why people dislike Alienware? sal_stinger

they tend to be very overpriced.

slabber44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 slabber44
Member since 2004 • 985 Posts
Main reason why Alienware gets trashed is that they are overpriced. You pay more for the name then what's inside your rig. It's not that their bad rigs, it's just that you pay way more than you would for a similar rig without the Alienware name. To answer your first question. As long as you can trust and have him give you his Steam profile and password and you are "with him" when you change everything over to your new password and make sure that a new e-mail (yours) is used as the second security protection you should be fine. If you have worries, make sure you have a friend who knows about how Steam is set up with you so you don't get screwed. Not a bad deal as long as you cover all your bases! GOOD LUCK,
PlusFour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 PlusFour
Member since 2011 • 125 Posts

He said he'll be giving his Steam and battle.net account. May I ask why people dislike Alienware? sal_stinger

Generally it seems when you buy an alienware machine you're paying for the brand rather than the product. Honestly can't say if it's still the same but when i was getting my new comp (2/3 years ago) it was much cheaper to build my own machine for better specs then pay for an alienware machine. Ofc this was from them directly and not a third party seller. :P

sal_stinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 sal_stinger

I assumed since it's $850 for an alienware it would be just enough for a decent gaming laptop. I'm always on the go so I will not be investing in a gaming desktop. Should I go through with it or build my own laptop? Thank you for your responses

slabber44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 slabber44

Terrible.  Build your own.

Socijalisticka
Kind of hard to build your own laptop! He wants something portable. Please read everything before saying build your own.
slabber44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 slabber44

I assumed since it's $850 for an alienware it would be just enough for a decent gaming laptop. I'm always on the go so I will not be investing in a gaming desktop. Should I go through with it or build my own laptop? Thank you for your responses

sal_stinger
I game mainly on a laptop for the same reason. I don't have an Alienware so can't comment on that. I love my laptop (ASUS G74S) and it is great for me with all the traveling I do with my job. If you are happy with it then it's your money and that's all that matters.
Jetsfan122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Jetsfan122
Member since 2011 • 124 Posts

If you get his steam games it seems worth it, but I think the alienware is overpriced. Look into Lenovo's (IBM) website, specifically the Y-series of laptops . For $850 you get an I-7 processor with a GT 750m graphics card, or if u want to splurge for $1000 you can upgrade to the Y-580 which comes with a GTX 660m graphics card which is vastly superior to the other cards . Do you know this person you are buying from ? Do you trust him to give you his steam password or if the alienware laptop is in good working order ? I personally would prefer the newer tech . Steam is always having sales , so you can pretty much get plenty of games 75% off ( the summer sale is right around the corner ) .

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
Might be a good deal because of the games but I believe you could get a much faster laptop for brand new at around that price. I'm talking significantly faster. I've seen laptops with SLI 650M videocards going at that price. Just one of those 650M videocards is a lot faster than the videocard in that Alienware. You'd get a bigger screensize too.
GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

I guess it's a case of whether you want a 2nd hand Alienware laptop with games or a more powerful brand new laptop for the same money but you'd have to build you're own games library.

Personally with the Steam summer sale immanent I'd probably go for a new more powerful machine and see what games I could pick up for cheap in a month or so.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Do you know him? Has he taken good care of it?

I've seen too many laptops die to buy a second hand one.

JohnFifteen12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 JohnFifteen12
Member since 2012 • 205 Posts

Also comes with 104 new games installed through his Steam account

sal_stinger

Have you seen the list of games that you will be getting? I'm just wondering if they are current "AAA" type games, or if a lot of them are inexpensive, low budget games that not many people like.

That would obviously make a big difference when it comes to the value of his collection.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#16 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

people dislike alien ware the most is because the price for what you getting 

umm i wouldn't be too good on the accounts.

he can change pass words or contact steam and tell them the account been taken. same goes for battlenet 

Falconoffury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Falconoffury
Member since 2003 • 1722 Posts

There are many better deals on better laptops on newegg, just to name one website. Check this one out.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152388