Advent Rising - this game is Incredible.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Energenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Energenix
Member since 2006 • 576 Posts

I have just completed Advent Rising for the PC, and I am just totally blown away buy it. There is so much good about this game it's scary! Though the graphics are not the best, they are definitely acceptable, as are the cutscenes. Gameplay, however, is off the scale. If you like mythical, supernatural powers, third-person adventure, or first-person shooting action, then this game has what you want in some form, Im telling you. But the most incredible element of this game is undoubtedly its gripping storyline, crafted by Orson Scott Card (Ender series, anybody?).

I have been reading about this game's developer going under, upstart Glyphx Games. Though this is the studio's first title and they have some areas to improve on, they hit the nail on the head with this one. Advent Rising has action-packed gameplay backed by a story that knocks the socks off of most other games (and movies) out there. I highly recommend you give this one a try. You'll want the second one trust me. Here's to Glyphx!

WhiteSnake5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 WhiteSnake5000
Member since 2005 • 12454 Posts
I dunno I'll go with what gamespot says about it, not worth it!
Energenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Energenix
I dunno I'll go with what gamespot says about it, not worth it!WhiteSnake5000
Have you played it yet? If not, then you really should try it. Apparently GS has no interest in a great story and innovative gameplay.
WhiteSnake5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 WhiteSnake5000
I played it on xbox at a friends house a long time ago, didn't see the big deal. I don't really remember though.
wurn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#5 wurn
Member since 2004 • 2258 Posts
Orson Scott Card, ive read some of his books and they are good. Will read some reviews on the game and see if i'll get it. Hopefully its as good as you say it is.

I have just completed Advent Rising for the PC, and I am just totally blown away buy it. There is so much good about this game it's scary! Though the graphics are not the best, they are definitely acceptable, as are the cutscenes. Gameplay, however, is off the scale. If you like mythical, supernatural powers, third-person adventure, or first-person shooting action, then this game has what you want in some form, Im telling you. But the most incredible element of this game is undoubtedly its gripping storyline, crafted by Orson Scott Card (Ender series, anybody?).

I have been reading about this game's developer going under, upstart Glyphx Games. Though this is the studio's first title and they have some areas to improve on, they hit the nail on the head with this one. Advent Rising has action-packed gameplay backed by a story that knocks the socks off of most other games (and movies) out there. I highly recommend you give this one a try. You'll want the second one trust me. Here's to Glyphx!

Energenix
Energenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Energenix
I played it on xbox at a friends house a long time ago, didn't see the big deal. I don't really remember though. WhiteSnake5000
According to what Ive read, the Xbox had a lot of issues, to include laggy frame-rates. But the PC version apparently is free of these issues. You should pick it up for the PC and try it anew, its only $20 after all, and its well-spent.
WhiteSnake5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 WhiteSnake5000
[QUOTE="WhiteSnake5000"]I played it on xbox at a friends house a long time ago, didn't see the big deal. I don't really remember though. Energenix
According to what Ive read, the Xbox had a lot of issuesto include laggy frame-rates. But the PC very apparently is free of these issues. You should pick it up for the PC and try it anew, its only $20 after all, and its well-spent.

Maybe if the game appealed to me lol man what am I doing in this topic, my bad... I'm out.
capthavic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#8 capthavic
Member since 2003 • 6478 Posts

I dunno I'll go with what gamespot says about it, not worth it!WhiteSnake5000

Yeah I might get it if it drops to like $15. Even without the bugs it just didn't look different enough to justify buying it.

namuseta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 namuseta
Member since 2005 • 321 Posts
jeah it was a fun game on of the few "fps" games that i have played and liked in a long time the story was good little been there seen that but good never the less. but i would not pay the full price for it mayby 15-20 its rather short game after all and no replay value because the story is its best part ofter all
Energenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Energenix
[QUOTE="namuseta"]jeah it was a fun game on of the few "fps" games that i have played and liked in a long time the story was good little been there seen that but good never the less. but i would not pay the full price for it mayby 15-20 its rather short game after all and no replay value because the story is its best part ofter all

Well, a lot of people read a good book more than once, so why not a game? [spoiler] You can also choose who you leave behind on the space station, which affects things later. [/spoiler] There were also many levels I found challenging. Hell, I'll play it again just to watch the story unfold and the cutscenes. Oh yeah , one last thing. Unlike even some high-budget touting games, this one has very good voice acting.
beckoflight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 63

#11 beckoflight
Member since 2006 • 848 Posts

Its a great game don't lsten to gamespot

jakyl996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 jakyl996
Member since 2003 • 160 Posts

I got the game. I played it for 6 hours. I really feel that the game is trying to rip halo off far to much. The action in this game is very repetitive. The story line is ok. I really wanted to like it but it is just too repetive and boring. By boring I mean not the story but the actual game play. I am a PC gamer so I expect more from my games than thousands of enemies, wave after wave. I even enabled god mode in hopes to see the story thru to the end. I didn't do that until hour 5 after dying from the 3000nth wave of endless repetive boring enemies that was thown at me.  Then the vehicle sequence where you actually drive off of a ship and die no matter what. I finally threw my hands in the air and gave up.

hamumu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 hamumu
Member since 2005 • 1967 Posts
I played it, but never got around to finishing it. It was quite boring, movement was buggy, and the enemies all looked almost the exact same.
Bringing_Death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Bringing_Death
Member since 2003 • 26 Posts
omg pal, advent rising incredible? way too much praise for a game that in my eyes deserves a score between 7.5-8, ive played it and beat it, it was easy, graphics were ok, a little bland. however ur most likely a young teen, and that is what the game was geared towards. advent rising, nothing special.
indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

I played and beaten the game sometime back.

IMO ... it is a underated game.It is really a incredible game.I enjoyed the game immensely on P.C.

And i think it's prequel also being made cause the last cutscene says 'to be continued ...'

BLiTZv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 BLiTZv3
Member since 2006 • 882 Posts
Advent Rising is an awesome game. Its bad that Gamespot didn't give much scores.
wafflehead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17 wafflehead
Member since 2005 • 836 Posts
Hmm ...I might check this game out.
johnnyb47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 johnnyb47
Member since 2004 • 408 Posts
Yup, the game (at least on PC) isn't bad at all, I finished it once. I believe that all the bugs that were present on the X-Box must have seriously detracted from the game's value. I also read the Ender series, so probably my appreciation of Orson Scott Card's writing makes me a bit subjective when analyzing this game.

As for a sequel, this game was originally planned to be part one of a trilogy, but the developer's website doesn't mention any sequel being in production.
Energenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Energenix

omg pal, advent rising incredible? way too much praise for a game that in my eyes deserves a score between 7.5-8, ive played it and beat it, it was easy, graphics were ok, a little bland. however ur most likely a young teen, and that is what the game was geared towards. advent rising, nothing special.Bringing_Death

You shouldnt make ignorant assumptions about people, specifically me, who you do not know. I happen to be slightly past my teen years, and still believe that this game is great. My age doesnt have an impact on my opinion here, it simply pulls my strings in all the right ways I guess. Im very draw by a good plot, particularly when it isnt a rehash. I think it is interesting that people think its trying to immitate Halo gameplay, when in actuality, the attacks, movements, and powers bear no resemblance to said game. Granted some of the weapons look Halo-ish, but they dont operate in a similiar fashion.

As for bugs, this game NEVER crashed on me, no matter how long I played. Even the highest budget games out there cant make that boast. Ive had Oblivion crash, CS:S, UT 2k4, Halo, Doom 3, but not Advent Rising. (Note: The Xbox version of AR was buggy compared to the PC version)

Energenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Energenix
ur most likely a young teenBringing_Death
Have you looked at my userbar?
neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#21 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4401 Posts

For those out there that don't think Advent Rising is up to par with todays games, then you're sadly mistaken or you just don't care for these types of games.

I've heard too many people compare Advent Rising to Halo and say that it is just a take off from Halo. IMHO, I see Advent Rising as what Halo should have been. If the frame rate issues, the touchy "flick targeting" and slight graphical issues that popped up here and there were squashed and if you were able to actually rely more on your weapons towards the end of the game instead of just your super-human powers, Advent Rising would blown Halo out of the water. Then, tack on some multi-player that is as equally as good as Halo or the UT series and you'd have something even better out on the market today.

Check out the player reviews to perhaps help you make your final decision about this game: http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/adventrising/players.html

For those that care, Advent Rising can be purchased on Steam for about $15.00 right now, if you wish to give this underrated game a try.

Fuseking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22 Fuseking
Member since 2006 • 2102 Posts
I'll just stick with the books Orson has written. New on called Empire just came out and supposedly they are supposed to make a game on it.