Adobe Premiere Alternative

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Maverick6585

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Maverick6585
Member since 2013 • 220 Posts

Hey guys, I'm looking for a free alternative to Adobe Premiere pro for YouTube video editing. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Windows movie maker lol

Seriously, I haven't heard of any decent free video editors, sorry.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

You don't need a fancy video editor for YT. Windows Movie Maker should be enough. It's free with Windows although I would stick with Vista/Win 7 or Windows 8.1. The original one in Windows XP was crash-happy.

verbalfilth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By verbalfilth
Member since 2006 • 5043 Posts

Something that's free, simple, has limited options but gets the job done? Windows Movie maker.

Something that's free and complicated? Blender 3d

Good luck.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@Maverick6585 said:

Hey guys, I'm looking for a free alternative to Adobe Premiere pro for YouTube video editing. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Apart from Windows Movie Maker (which the new version is actually a lot better), you also have Nero Video:

http://www.nero.com/ena/products/nero-video/whats-new.php

It's not free but it's a perfect balance between Movie Maker and Premier.

Gamartto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 Gamartto
Member since 2003 • 1987 Posts

Take a look at Movie Studio from sony is not free but also not that expensive as Premiere. I tried the different products from sony creative and Movie Studio has a similar UI than Vegas Pro. Take a look at their comparison chart http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/moviestudiope/compare and try some demos.

Also read: http://www.techradar.com/news/software/applications/best-free-video-editing-software-9-top-programs-you-should-download-1136264/2#articleContent . Focus on Lightworks. Keep in mind that the free version can only export up to 720 (Which is not a bad thing considering that most people watch youtube videos at 480p-720p).

Cya.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

@verbalfilth said:

Something that's free, simple, has limited options but gets the job done? Windows Movie maker.

Good luck.

Blender isn't a video editor. Compositing inside of Blender will be an absolute nightmare.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jun_aka_pekto

If you have a Mac, iMovie is pretty decent.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@jun_aka_pekto said:

You don't need a fancy video editor for YT. Windows Movie Maker should be enough. It's free with Windows although I would stick with Vista/Win 7 or Windows 8.1. The original one in Windows XP was crash-happy.

Couldn't disagree more, the new Windows Movie Maker is too barebones and can't do half the useful things the original could

Maverick6585

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By Maverick6585
Member since 2013 • 220 Posts

@Gamartto said:

Take a look at Movie Studio from sony is not free but also not that expensive as Premiere. I tried the different products from sony creative and Movie Studio has a similar UI than Vegas Pro. Take a look at their comparison chart http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/moviestudiope/compare and try some demos.

Also read: http://www.techradar.com/news/software/applications/best-free-video-editing-software-9-top-programs-you-should-download-1136264/2#articleContent . Focus on Lightworks. Keep in mind that the free version can only export up to 720 (Which is not a bad thing considering that most people watch youtube videos at 480p-720p).

Cya.

I'll check out that article, and make sure to check out Lightworks. The 720 thing doesn't matter because that's what I upload in anyway. Thanks!

@FelipeInside said:

@Maverick6585 said:

Thanks in advance!

Apart from Windows Movie Maker (which the new version is actually a lot better), you also have Nero Video:

http://www.nero.com/ena/products/nero-video/whats-new.php

It's not free but it's a perfect balance between Movie Maker and Premier.

I'll check it out, but I love Premier, I just don't want to have to pay so much for it

@jun_aka_pekto said:

If you have a Mac, iMovie is pretty decent.

Windows

Everyone else: I just upgraded to Windwos 8.1, so I'll check out the new Movie Maker. Thanks, everyone!

NeoGen85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 NeoGen85
Member since 2003 • 4270 Posts

I definitely recommend Sony Vegas. Although it's not free, it's very easy to use.

verbalfilth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By verbalfilth
Member since 2006 • 5043 Posts

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

@verbalfilth said:

Good luck.

Blender isn't a video editor. Compositing inside of Blender will be an absolute nightmare.

What do you mean? Blender is a very powerful and versatile tool that allows users to tackle multiple projects, including video editing. (see embeded videos as quick examples)

I'd recommend it anyday to people who want complex video editing capabilities without having to shell out big bucks. The only downside is that it will have a huge learning curve.

Loading Video...

Loading Video...

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

@verbalfilth said:

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

@verbalfilth said:

Good luck.

What do you mean? Blender is a very powerful and versatile tool that allows users to tackle multiple projects, including video editing. (see embeded videos as quick examples)

I'd recommend it anyday to people who want complex video editing capabilities without having to shell out big bucks. The only downside is that it will have a huge learning curve.

Loading Video...

Loading Video...

There is literally no point to do compositing inside of blender except for your own blender animations.

Nobody even on the Blender forums would recommend it for compositing outside video, it's just worse than premiere/after effects.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jun_aka_pekto

@KHAndAnime said:

@jun_aka_pekto said:

Couldn't disagree more, the new Windows Movie Maker is too barebones and can't do half the useful things the original could

I rather have a stable Movie Maker with less features and more output formats than the XP Movie Maker. Plus, the later versions of Movie Maker seem to support GPU processing. They render way quicker than the original Movie Maker. Does the XP Movie Maker even output .mp4?

I haven't really checked. But, what exactly is missing in the later versions of Movie Maker?

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#16  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

I like using Sony Vegas but that's because I'm already experienced with it.

Camtasia is a good alternative to Windows Movie Maker.

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#17 Star67  Online
Member since 2005 • 5168 Posts

Just for Youtube, Imovie or MovieMaker would be fine......HOWEVER

If you are looking for something more professional, LightWorks is the best free option. http://www.lwks.com/

28 Days Later was edited with this software as well as other big budget movies. Its free, but the learning curve is steep. But its by far the best free video editor.

Hope that helps

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@jun_aka_pekto said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@jun_aka_pekto said:

I rather have a stable Movie Maker with less features and more output formats than the XP Movie Maker. Plus, the later versions of Movie Maker seem to support GPU processing. They render way quicker than the original Movie Maker. Does the XP Movie Maker even output .mp4?

I haven't really checked. But, what exactly is missing in the later versions of Movie Maker?

Windows XP movie maker never crashed for me, across the multiple systems I used it on. You could add any output formats you wanted to Windows XP maker. The later versions I've used had limited title options, limited transitions, very limited editing options, and very limited ability to edit sound in relation to the image onscreen. For example, I couldn't can't add a sound and balance the level of sound to match sound in the video. I could only use the later Windows movie maker to import and export, the editing you can do with that program is beyond barebones.

Having said that, it's worth getting any free alternative editor instead unless you're doing barebones editing.

Gamartto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 Gamartto
Member since 2003 • 1987 Posts

Just wanted to stop by to say that at the time of this writing Sony Movie Studio Suite 13 is only $50 on Amazon. Not a bad price considering it comes with other programs and it has the ability to upload directly to Youtube.

www.amazon.com/Sony-Movie-Studio-Suite-Download/dp/B00I3O2QFM/