Adding more ram can help gain performance ?

Hashim19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 Hashim19
Member since 2007 • 1324 Posts

Currently i am using 4 gb of ram , my specs includes i3 and hd 7850 2 gb graphics card. Watch dogs at 1080p running quite well for my system specs , did adding more 4 gb of ram help in gaining more fps in gaming ?

And Also what you suggest should i purchase 4 gb of ram or should i buy 8 gb ddr3 separetly ?

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

You won't see an increase in maximum fps, at least not by much, but you can expect less "hickups", smoother alt-tabing, etc. Also, you can leave more programs opened with no performance penalty. You should have 2x4GB, so it can run in symetric dual channel mode. You can also have 4x2GB, in theory it's a little slower but you won't notice it. Just make sure all memory modules are the same (same brand, timings, MHz and voltage).

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

It'll help jitters and such. 4gb of ram is quite low nowadays, so I would definitely upgrade it to 8gb.

Right now I'm idling at 7.8 gigs/16. Only a few programs and chrome are up, so Windows will be happy to give your pc a bit of a speed boost if you have more ram.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127502 Posts

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

It'll help jitters and such. 4gb of ram is quite low nowadays, so I would definitely upgrade it to 8gb.

Right now I'm idling at 7.8 gigs/16. Only a few programs and chrome are up, so Windows will be happy to give your pc a bit of a speed boost if you have more ram.

How do idle at that much? I'm at 3.5GB atm, Opera and Afterburner is the only programs open. Even when playing Watch Dogs I keep it under 6GB.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By JigglyWiggly_

@horgen said:

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

How do idle at that much? I'm at 3.5GB atm, Opera and Afterburner is the only programs open. Even when playing Watch Dogs I keep it under 6GB.

I don't turn my pc off, so that's probably why it's pretty high.

Avatar image for deactivated-58e19e160226c
deactivated-58e19e160226c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By deactivated-58e19e160226c
Member since 2014 • 30 Posts

The answer is no. I've tested. RAM makes no difference, as long as the program doesn't start to run out. Once you get pretty close though, either the garbage collector will go on overdrive (sometimes for ALL applications), causing worse performance, or C++ programs will start crashing. But unless you're REALLY close, it's not something to worry about. Also, you should be idling at no more than 2 gigs if you run windows 8 and anything more is abnormal, and have a standard set of background and foreground programs open.

@JigglyWiggly_: I used to go for times of multiple MONTHS (record 4 months) without turning off my computer or any restarts, and had all sorts of background stuff installed (I am a programmer and I end up with tons of background programs open from testing things, as well as various software I tried and didn't get rid of yet) and never even get near that with tons of programs open. Press control + alt + delete, and go to more details, and press "ram" and see WTF is taking that all. That's the kind of activity you might see from malware.

(And I actually currently run Ubuntu Linux on dual boot with windows, and normally run windows, but I'm saying that from when I used windows only)

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By JigglyWiggly_

@zeusoflightning said:

The answer is no. I've tested. RAM makes no difference, as long as the program doesn't start to run out. Once you get pretty close though, either the garbage collector will go on overdrive (sometimes for ALL applications), causing worse performance, or C++ programs will start crashing. But unless you're REALLY close, it's not something to worry about.

@JigglyWiggly_: I used to go for times of multiple MONTHS (record 4 months) without turning off my computer or any restarts, and had all sorts of background stuff installed and never even get near that with tons of programs open. Press control + alt + delete, and go to more details, and press "ram" and see WTF is taking that all. That's the kind of activity you might see from malware.

(And I actually currently run Ubuntu Linux on dual boot with windows, and normally run windows, but I'm saying that from when I used windows only)

It makes a difference for loading assets especially if you have a ssd. There is no malware. 4 gigabytes is not enough for modern games, you will randomly stutter.

Idling at 9.6 gigs at the moment, Windows just uses all your ram for whatever. SpiderOak does not have a memory leak, it always uses that much ram, same for Crashplan.

Yes, on any Linux distro you won't get anywhere near that amount of use for idling. If I open an application that uses a ton of ram Windows clears some cache.

On Debian 5 I idled below 2 gigabytes typically, but that's way old.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

Windows 7&8 handle memory usage pretty well, and will pause and dump items onto paging file if more ram is needed for the main task at hand. 4gb is not a "low amount" or "not enough for modern gaming". It depends on the user's background tasks running too. The only time adding more ram will improve game performance is in loading, stutter effect that happens if you do saturate the system ram.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JigglyWiggly_

@04dcarraher said:

Windows 7&8 handle memory usage pretty well, and will pause and dump items onto paging file if more ram is needed for the main task at hand. 4gb is not a "low amount" or "not enough for modern gaming". It depends on the user's background tasks running too. The only time adding more ram will improve game performance is in loading, stutter effect that happens if you do saturate the system ram.

That isn't true

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/forum/threadview/2955065670099340020/

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@Hashim19 said:

Currently i am using 4 gb of ram , my specs includes i3 and hd 7850 2 gb graphics card. Watch dogs at 1080p running quite well for my system specs , did adding more 4 gb of ram help in gaining more fps in gaming ?

And Also what you suggest should i purchase 4 gb of ram or should i buy 8 gb ddr3 separetly ?

If you can find the exact same RAM module you already have go ahead and buy another 4Gb kit, if not go and buy a brand new 8Gb.

If the game requires 6Gb of RAM and you have a 4 which 1-2Gb are used for OS (depends on the version) than you're in trouble.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By 04dcarraher

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

@04dcarraher said:

That isn't true

lol one game out of what actually uses more then 4gb if your running high- max settings. Plus BF4 memory usage isnt the best. there was a well known memory leak after one patch in January

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By JigglyWiggly_

@04dcarraher said:

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

@04dcarraher said:

That isn't true

lol one game out of what actually uses more then 4gb

Modern games: Watch dogs, Crysis 3, unreal 3 engine games with large maps (e.g tribes ascend), upcoming UE4 games, etc.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 04dcarraher

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

@04dcarraher said:

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

@04dcarraher said:

That isn't true

lol one game out of what actually uses more then 4gb

Modern games: Watch dogs, Crysis 3, unreal 3 engine games with large maps (e.g tribes ascend), upcoming UE4 games, etc.

Those modern games run just fine with 4gb. Crysis 3 requires 2gb and recommends 4gb , Watchdogs 6gb requirement is false and the game tends to use around 3gb. UE3 based games run just fine on 4gb. Even these new games engines coming out have to fit these new consoles limits so many of games will only have 2-3gb system usage. Unless your maxing out games.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By JigglyWiggly_

They stutter, you will also have to close all applications in the background. Xbox one and ps4 have 8 gigabytes of ram.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By 04dcarraher

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

They stutter, you will also have to close all applications in the background. Xbox one and ps4 have 8 gigabytes of ram.

It all depends on what your running, and how your system is setup. But stuttering isnt an issue if you know what your running. Running a dozen programs and multple tabs of a web browser well yeah your going to run into a storage.

Also the consoles do not have the 8gb of ram for full use. Their OS's and features eat 3-3.5gb from the pool leaving the games 4.5-5gb for both game/system cache and Vram.