A question to those who use game pads to play games....

This topic is locked from further discussion.

zerosaber456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 zerosaber456
Member since 2005 • 1363 Posts

So as a PC gamer, I obviously thing KB/M is the way to go. The only controller I use is a joystick for my flight sim games (like TIE Fighter and Freespace 2). For the life of my I could never figure out any reason you would rather use a gamepad over kb/m. Why not just an xbox360/ps3/wii

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#2 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
Some games control better with a gamepad - fighting games (few as they are on the PC), platformers, and racing games. They're also more comfortable to use if you're playing a game on an HDTV and sitting on a couch.
zombie91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 zombie91
Member since 2005 • 567 Posts
Driving in GTA 4 is a pain with the keyboard. You can't finesse a turn. It's jerky or a power slide because you can't just slightly turn the wheel. So when I play I use my controller just to drive......UNLESS I'm after someone where I have to shoot them. Then keyboard/mouse is 100% than that stupid ole pad. Gotta love driving and aiming with a mouse.
chandu83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#4 chandu83
Member since 2005 • 4864 Posts
I use a gamepad for racing games such as NFS.
CellAnimation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 CellAnimation
Member since 2007 • 6116 Posts
Why? Because some games just play better with a gamepad. I wonder what I'd think of Dirt 2 playing that with a keyboard and mouse. Or what about Street Fighter IV? I bet that would be fun. So why PC and not a console? What a silly question, we all know the answer to that. Better graphics (most of the time), the modding community (thanks guys), the online support (360 comes close, PS3... meh), and for me Steam. Games are just so cheap over Steam! Even though I own a Wii, PS3, and a few old school consoles (Atari, Dreamcast, etc) the PC is the best of both worlds. I want to play a FPS with a keyboard/mouse combo, I can do that. I want to play a great console port like Batman: AA with a 360 controller I can do that. I want to play Street Fighter IV with an arcade stick I can do that.
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#6 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

I have a few controllers for pc for two reasons.

1. Fighting games/Racing games/Sports (soccer and basketball)

2. For friends who come over and have never used a keyboard and mouse and are just use to the controller.

I preffer K+M 95% of the time, but once in awhile I do like a controller for the games i listed above.

zerosaber456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 zerosaber456
Member since 2005 • 1363 Posts
[QUOTE="CellAnimation"]Why? Because some games just play better with a gamepad. I wonder what I'd think of Dirt 2 playing that with a keyboard and mouse. Or what about Street Fighter IV? I bet that would be fun. So why PC and not a console? What a silly question, we all know the answer to that. Better graphics (most of the time), the modding community (thanks guys), the online support (360 comes close, PS3... meh), and for me Steam. Games are just so cheap over Steam! Even though I own a Wii, PS3, and a few old school consoles (Atari, Dreamcast, etc) the PC is the best of both worlds. I want to play a FPS with a keyboard/mouse combo, I can do that. I want to play a great console port like Batman: AA with a 360 controller I can do that. I want to play Street Fighter IV with an arcade stick I can do that.

ok for racing and fighting games I can understand by why Batman:AA? I thought the controls were just fine with KB/M
CellAnimation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 CellAnimation
why Batman:AA? I thought the controls were just fine with KB/Mzerosaber456
Why not? It's a console port, it plays great with a controller. You've already said you've got no interest in playing with a controller so while you think the game controlled fine with a KB/M you've got nothing to compare it too. I've never understood the I MUST PLAY WITH A MOUSE AND KEYBOARD BECAUSE I'M A PC GAMER attitude. Some games are just more fun using other control types.
Rehehelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Rehehelly
Member since 2005 • 165 Posts
Some games play better and a controller is more ergonomic with button placement. I'll use a keyboard and mouse for FPS/RTS stuff like that, games that play BETTER with a keyboard and mouse.. but in my experience, games such as the last remnant, devil may cry and prototype, play better with a controller. Also, I have a laptop already, I don't however have a TV so I can't bring my xbox to uni with me to play the games on that (which are bloody expensive too)
T-Baggimus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 T-Baggimus
Member since 2009 • 96 Posts

Unless I'm playing a FPS or RTS, I find using a standard controller pretty relaxing.

Lox_Cropek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#11 Lox_Cropek
Member since 2008 • 3555 Posts

Controllers are better for Racing, Fighting, Beat'em Up, Platformer, Action Adventure and some Third-Person Shooters

felixiration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 felixiration
Member since 2009 • 433 Posts

I do sometimes so that I can sit back or lie down and still play. Doing that with a kb/m just doesn't work.

Sharpie125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#13 Sharpie125
Member since 2005 • 3904 Posts

Competitively, controllers are more or less a joke. That being said, I still find myself more comfortable with the 360 gamepad over my mouse and keyboard. One reason could be that my wireless mouse really sucks though. Also I have pretty shaky hands, which makes sniping a nightmare.

lucfonzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lucfonzy
Member since 2008 • 1835 Posts

Controllers are used on PC's for a much wider range of games tbh, as people have said, most beat em ups, racers, flight sims (to some extent) and platformers.

These games are more relaxed and dont require the accuracy that a mouse provides. Sometimes sitting back in your chair is more comfortable than leaning face first into your screen :P.

But of course the KB/M rules over FPS, RTS, RPG's etc etc, so i think you should look for a more valid argument which would be, why do console gamers insist gamepads are better on COD. Why? because they are ignorant fan boys, that's why.

psp-freak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 psp-freak
Member since 2005 • 528 Posts
Kb/m is the best setup in my opinion, but i do like to play games with a controller everyone once in a while just to switch things up. My bed folds into a couch too, so sometimes i like to sit down on that and play casually. It's the only way I play Fallout 3. With the kb/m i got bored of the game easily, but being able to casually sit back and play with my controller kept the game fun. I still don't prefer it over kb/m, but its nice to use sometimes.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#16 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
[QUOTE="zerosaber456"]why Batman:AA? I thought the controls were just fine with KB/MCellAnimation
Why not? It's a console port, it plays great with a controller. You've already said you've got no interest in playing with a controller so while you think the game controlled fine with a KB/M you've got nothing to compare it too. I've never understood the I MUST PLAY WITH A MOUSE AND KEYBOARD BECAUSE I'M A PC GAMER attitude. Some games are just more fun using other control types.

Agreed. Arkham Asylum controls fantastically with a gamepad because it was designed that way - nowhere in the game does it require the extreme precision of a mouse for aiming your grapple and the combat system feels much more natural on a pad as well.
Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts

I dont understand the need for the question.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts
I do not understand why people on the PC use a game pad either. Just get a console.
Xeros606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Xeros606
Member since 2007 • 11126 Posts
I find that KB/M is really only superior for FPS, RTS, and RPGs.
CellAnimation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 CellAnimation
I do not understand why people on the PC use a game pad either. Just get a console.millerlight89
So why PC and not a console? What a silly question, we all know the answer to that. Better graphics (most of the time), the modding community (thanks guys), the online support (360 comes close, PS3... meh), and for me Steam. Games are just so cheap over Steam!CellAnimation
Gotta love the fanboys...
DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts
[QUOTE="zerosaber456"]why Batman:AA? I thought the controls were just fine with KB/MCellAnimation

just cause its a console port doesn't mean it plays better with a controller look at mirrors edge that game was meant to be played on pc.
The-Mosher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22 The-Mosher
Member since 2009 • 1885 Posts

I only use a gamepad on my PC for Fighters, Racers, or Sports games.

CellAnimation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 CellAnimation
just cause its a console port doesn't mean it plays better with a controller look at mirrors edge that game was meant to be played on pc.DJ_Headshot
Way to NOT read the thread in context. The TC was asking me specifically about Batman: AA. If he had have asked me about Mirrors Edge I would have said I played it with a mouse/keyboard. This is not about 1 being better than the other for all situations, it's about having a choice that consoles don't give us.
NLahren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#24 NLahren
Member since 2009 • 1927 Posts
for for some sport games, racing and fighting games i preffer a game pad, easyer to use
Avatar image for deactivated-5926b7362eeb7
deactivated-5926b7362eeb7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5926b7362eeb7
Member since 2009 • 126 Posts

I whole-heartedly agree with the general consensus of the replies.

Depends on the game, I prefer KB/M for shooters and RTS, RPG's and a controller for the Action/Adventure, Racing and what-not.

As for the the OP question about why use a game controller on PC when you can just use a console... well, PC games can run in higher resolutions, everything's prettier. You do know they had to tone down the graphics on many PC games so that the consoles could run them right? PC has always been good for customization. You can do anything on it, hence why I believe its the superior platform.

Altho, securom software, one off activation codes, NEEDING the internet to activate games (which gives a lot of PC games NO re-sell value) may shoot PC gaming in the foot.

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DJ_Headshot
[QUOTE="DJ_Headshot"]just cause its a console port doesn't mean it plays better with a controller look at mirrors edge that game was meant to be played on pc.CellAnimation
Way to NOT read the thread in context. The TC was asking me specifically about Batman: AA. If he had have asked me about Mirrors Edge I would have said I played it with a mouse/keyboard. This is not about 1 being better than the other for all situations, it's about having a choice that consoles don't give us.

I'm not arguing whether or not batman AA is better with a mouse or gamepad. You stated it being a console port as a reason for it being better with a gamepad which i consider a false statement as alot of ports from console are equal or better on the pc with a mouse and keyboard. Of course stuff like devil may cry 4 i won't even bother trying to play with a mouse and keyboard
Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts

Controller all the way for games like..

ALL racing games

Trine

LEGO games (Batman, Star Wars, etc..)

Bob came in pieces

Braid

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 DJ_Headshot

Controller all the way for games like..

ALL racing games

Trine

LEGO games (Batman, Star Wars, etc..)

Bob came in pieces

Braid

Johnny_Rock

I agree with racing games the lego games. But not trine and braid. The mouse and keyboard is far better the wizard drawing stuff with a controller is slow and difficult(i could actually use him as a combat class when using him in 3 player co-op when using a mouse.) And the thief and knight i enjoyed more with the keyboard and mouse but they pretty much equal. and braid is a 2d platformer it controls fine with the arrow keys.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
I use my gamepad for some games, just like I use my wheel or joystick for others.
scoots9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#30 scoots9
Member since 2006 • 3505 Posts

Honestly I thought it played better with kb+m than with my 360 controller.

redneckdouglas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 redneckdouglas
Member since 2005 • 2977 Posts

Keyboard on NBA 2k = ultra hard. Gamepad does serves its services on some games.

CellAnimation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 CellAnimation
Honestly I thought it played better with kb+m than with my 360 controller.scoots9
Cool, no one is trying to change your mind. I prefered it with a controller... life goes on.
blooddog28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 120

#33 blooddog28
Member since 2008 • 2049 Posts
ive always used keyboard and mouse and I always will!
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

I use keyboard and mouse, and for racing I use a wheel lol. Controllers are only for old console games on pc.

the_mitch28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 the_mitch28
Member since 2005 • 4684 Posts

Because while the keyboard and mouse are greatly superior in some games it is also vastly inferior in other games.

Gamepads are made for gaming, not consoles.

RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#37 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts
Saying that keyboard and mouse combination is superior in every way is a lie. Some games, such as platformers and action titles, are designed to be played with a controller. Just like controllers are designed for gaming, keyboard isn't.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
Saying that keyboard and mouse combination is superior in every way is a lie. Some games, such as platformers and action titles, are designed to be played with a controller. Just like controllers are designed for gaming, keyboard isn't. RK-Mara
Except a keyboard is useful, and you can actually bind stuff to it or w/e. A joystick is much slower for something like a fps. 2d action adventures work fine on a keyboard, I play Sonic on em.
Dante2710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#39 Dante2710
Member since 2005 • 63164 Posts
Gamepads work great with sanbox games (GTA) and action games (Batman); platformers would also fall under this category for me. I strictly use K/M with shooters, and RTS.
Avatar image for RichardStallman
RichardStallman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 RichardStallman
Member since 2009 • 1233 Posts
[QUOTE="CellAnimation"]Why? Because some games just play better with a gamepad. I wonder what I'd think of Dirt 2 playing that with a keyboard and mouse. Or what about Street Fighter IV? I bet that would be fun. So why PC and not a console? What a silly question, we all know the answer to that. Better graphics (most of the time), the modding community (thanks guys), the online support (360 comes close, PS3... meh), and for me Steam. Games are just so cheap over Steam! Even though I own a Wii, PS3, and a few old school consoles (Atari, Dreamcast, etc) the PC is the best of both worlds. I want to play a FPS with a keyboard/mouse combo, I can do that. I want to play a great console port like Batman: AA with a 360 controller I can do that. I want to play Street Fighter IV with an arcade stick I can do that.

Street Fighter is a lot more intuitive with a keyboard than with a gamepad. Because it actually resembles an arcade.
RealKilla_789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#41 RealKilla_789
Member since 2007 • 3669 Posts

Most games I use kb/m but there are a lot of games taht I'd prefer using the controller scheme.

jpph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#42 jpph
Member since 2005 • 3337 Posts

I do sometimes so that I can sit back or lie down and still play. Doing that with a kb/m just doesn't work.

felixiration

this. it has a much more relaxed feel than the kb+m, which is nice. also, im getting better at aiming with it, so now its fun. gta 4, arkham asylum, assassins creed are all games that are by far the best with a controller. im a little concerned how mafia 2 will play out in the controller/mouse regard.

CellAnimation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 CellAnimation
Street Fighter is a lot more intuitive with a keyboard than with a gamepad. Because it actually resembles an arcade.RichardStallman
Yeah I remember seeing heaps of QWERTY keyboards when I was playing Street Fighter 2 back in the arcades. :P I think I'll stick to my X-Arcade TankStick or my Hori.