a Question on Quad core usage on old games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GTR2addict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 GTR2addict
Member since 2007 • 11863 Posts
il get my new pc in 2-3 weeks, and il be using a q6600 G0, and i play lots of old games (doom 3, far cry, GTR2, Race 07, and a few older ones) but i.e. GTR2 only fully uses 1 core, and with the low clock of that core, i think performance will be affected, what do u think?
ch5richards

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 ch5richards
Member since 2005 • 2912 Posts
One core of the Q6600 at stock is more than enough for those games.
fynne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 fynne
Member since 2002 • 8078 Posts
Programs have to be specially coded to be able to use multi-core CPUs. If those old games are single threaded (and they probably are) then they will only use one of the cores. The OS will still be pretty snappy though since it'll run on another core.
champmanfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 champmanfan
Member since 2005 • 256 Posts

Firstly, all cores will be the same speed. In BIOS make sure SpeedStep is off & any Core Throttling that saves power.

It will spread the load across the cores, but some older games could dominate just the 1st core. Also, you can clock the CPU to an easy 3Ghz & any slowdown using the 1 core will dissappear. I Seriously doubt you'll get any slowdowns at all but you'll want your monies worth out of the CPU. Its VERY OC'able when you come to play DOOM3, COD4 or whatever takes your fancy.

Try this: 1) Add in your GTR2 properties shortcut and in the commandline put +fullproc to see if it uses more than 25% of your CPU. If not, then 2) load GTR2, press Alt+Tab at the same time. Go to task manager Ctrl+Alt+Del (Processes). Right click GTR2.exe, then go to set affinity. Put a check in cpu-1 because cpu-0 should already be ticked. You can do No.2 to any game.

Also make sure you patch all the games to latest versions as they will improve support for multiple cores, widescreen & with DOOM3 1.3 patch you get EAX hardware support provided you have installed ALchemy on a XFI soundcard.

GTR2addict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 GTR2addict
Member since 2007 • 11863 Posts

Firstly, all cores will be the same speed. In BIOS make sure SpeedStep is off & any Core Throttling that saves power.

It will spread the load across the cores, but some older games could dominate just the 1st core. Also, you can clock the CPU to an easy 3Ghz & any slowdown using the 1 core will dissappear. I Seriously doubt you'll get any slowdowns at all but you'll want your monies worth out of the CPU. Its VERY OC'able when you come to play DOOM3, COD4 or whatever takes your fancy.

Try this: 1) Add in your GTR2 properties shortcut and in the commandline put +fullproc to see if it uses more than 25% of your CPU. If not, then 2) load GTR2, press Alt+Tab at the same time. Go to task manager Ctrl+Alt+Del (Processes). Right click GTR2.exe, then go to set affinity. Put a check in cpu-1 because cpu-0 should already be ticked. You can do No.2 to any game.

Also make sure you patch all the games to latest versions as they will improve support for multiple cores, widescreen & with DOOM3 1.3 patch you get EAX hardware support provided you have installed ALchemy on a XFI soundcard.

champmanfan

thx man!! and... i have a sound blaster audigy SE on my pc, n il pass it to my new pc, and il also get the logitech Z-5300 speakers so...