A little advice for my new GPU?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The-Neon-Seal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 The-Neon-Seal
Member since 2011 • 612 Posts

Hi guys! I'm in the process of ordering parts for my third build. So far I have gone for a Crosshair V formula z motherboard -my first build used an original crosshair and it is still amazing 7 years on!- with an FX8350 processor, a Zalman CNPS9700 CPU fan to keep it nice and cold and a level 10 case -because I made the mistake of buying a smallish case for my last build!

I already know I'm getting 16gb of RAM so the only problem I have now is picking the GPU. I want something that is quite powerful -can run current games at ultra- and gives a fair bit of future proofing, but I don't want to sell a kidney for a titan -I'm fine without being able to play Star Citizen on ultra! This has led me to the conclusion that I should go for a 4gb card and I had two in mind.

First I saw the Gigabyte AMD R9 270X OC (4GB, DDR5, PCI-E) -with 3 fans to keep it cold!- but then I saw the MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 Gaming 4GB DDR5 Twin Frozer IV FAN PCI-E. The Nvidia is about £50 more, but I've always gone with Nvidia and don't really see the diffrence.

Which would be best, or are there better cards I could go for?

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Coseniath
Member since 2004 • 3183 Posts

Well from those two cards GTX760 is faster and completely silent (a friend has the 2GB version model), but I think its overkill (the 4GB VRAM) unless you are planing to SLI them.

Ofcourse there are better cards although GTX760 is usually the sweet spot, but not the 4GB version. This depends heavily on your budget. So what 's your budget for GPU?

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23832 Posts

Both of those gpu's with 4gb is pointless they dont have the memory bus nor the processing power to correctly utilize that much memory. Go for a GTX 760 2gb, the 760 is faster then the 270x. If you get one with a good cooler you can overclock it quite abit. My Gigabyte Windforce X3 GTX 760 is at 1.3 ghz and it matches stock GTX 770.

The-Neon-Seal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 The-Neon-Seal

Thanks for the input guys. I admittedly know very little about GPU's and appreciate the help. Taking advice onboard, I found this card: Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 DirectCU II OC 2GB GDDR5. Would this be better for my rig?

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23832 Posts

ASUS GTX 760 is a good card , on another note you dont need to spend so much on a motherboard if you dont plan on using all that motherboard offers.

Here are some suggestions, ASUS M5A99X EVO, ASUS M5A99FX PRO, ASrock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer,Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3. or even MSI 970 Gaming motherboard

The-Neon-Seal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 The-Neon-Seal

@04dcarraher: Thanks, dude. I think I'll stick with the crosshair though as my first was a cross hair and I was highly impressed. Plus it sounds like it has a good onboard sound system.

Daious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Daious
Member since 2013 • 2315 Posts

@The-Neon-Seal:

My advice for a new gpu is wait a month. The r9 275 and r9 285 are coming out and the current prices of the r9 270x and r9 280x are going to plummet.

the r9 280x is already close to 220 dollars after rebates and the r9 270 has been dipping below 150 for the past month.

Just wait.

The-Neon-Seal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 The-Neon-Seal

@daious: I've always been an Nvidia user though, and I'm hoping to have the MkIII up and running within the month. Plus the card I've seen is supposed to be pretty good.

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Coseniath

@The-Neon-Seal:This GTX760 Asus is great graphics card and since I have too an Asus ROG product I would choose crosshair mobo too.

Now about waiting a bit for GPU. If AMD releases new GPUs better than Nvidia's at lower prices, this will force Nvidia to lower their prices too. SO instead of GTX760 you might end with a GTX770.

Also keep in mind that we are in the begining of Gamescom. In Gamescom, Nvidia will probably reveal new architecture of GPUs (Maxwell based GTX860, GTX870, GTX880).

Gamescom as you can read at their site ends at 17.08.2014. I would suggest to wait 4 days :).

The-Neon-Seal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 The-Neon-Seal

@Coseniath: Didn't think/know they'd reveal or release stuff soon, and I can't build it for atleast too weeks anyway so I'll wait those four days! My budget is roughly the £200 mark, so if prices drop further on Nvidia cards that would be great... Funds saved can be used on other parts!

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Coseniath
@The-Neon-Seal said:

@Coseniath: Didn't think/know they'd reveal or release stuff soon, and I can't build it for atleast too weeks anyway so I'll wait those four days! My budget is roughly the £200 mark, so if prices drop further on Nvidia cards that would be great... Funds saved can be used on other parts!

Well I don't think that GTX860 will cost more than £200, so go for it!

Although all Nvidia DX11 GPUs will be able to use DX12, Maxwell GTX8xx series will also use some exclusive DX12 features :)

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12809 Posts

@The-Neon-Seal said:

Hi guys! I'm in the process of ordering parts for my third build. So far I have gone for a Crosshair V formula z motherboard -my first build used an original crosshair and it is still amazing 7 years on!- with an FX8350 processor, a Zalman CNPS9700 CPU fan to keep it nice and cold and a level 10 case -because I made the mistake of buying a smallish case for my last build!

I already know I'm getting 16gb of RAM so the only problem I have now is picking the GPU. I want something that is quite powerful -can run current games at ultra- and gives a fair bit of future proofing, but I don't want to sell a kidney for a titan -I'm fine without being able to play Star Citizen on ultra! This has led me to the conclusion that I should go for a 4gb card and I had two in mind.

First I saw the Gigabyte AMD R9 270X OC (4GB, DDR5, PCI-E) -with 3 fans to keep it cold!- but then I saw the MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 Gaming 4GB DDR5 Twin Frozer IV FAN PCI-E. The Nvidia is about £50 more, but I've always gone with Nvidia and don't really see the diffrence.

Which would be best, or are there better cards I could go for?

AMD TEAM: R9 280 or 290

Nvidia TEAM: GTX770 or 780

You're seriously throwing money on 16Gb of RAM, Formula MOBO and Level 10 case but you're getting cheap on the GPU? I think you should reconcider or rearange your budget

Daious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#13 Daious
Member since 2013 • 2315 Posts

@The-Neon-Seal said:

@daious: I've always been an Nvidia user though, and I'm hoping to have the MkIII up and running within the month. Plus the card I've seen is supposed to be pretty good.

Given the performance of the new AMD cards at the price point, Nvidia would be crazy not to price cut 760/770.