A Good American Civil War game, we need one!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ZalBal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ZalBal
Member since 2005 • 49 Posts

Yall, lots of great stradagy games are comong/are out: Medieval 2 Total War (an their new expansion pack), Company of Heros (and their new expansion pack) aswell as LOTR:BFME 2 (and the expansion pack), Surpreme Commander, SW:EAW (and the expansion pack [except for the new faction that sucks,but thats for another topic]), and there are more. BUT we NEED a good American Civil War strady game. One that has the latest graphics. One that you take controll of the Confederacy or the union. One that has a stratigic map (one like in Medieval 2 Total War) and you build units, artillary, infantry, cavarly and then you move on the enemy and class in epic real time battles! Fight across the terrain of Virginia, thourgh the hills of Tennesse, the plains of Texas, or move up and fight in Marlyland, Pennsilvania. Fight at cities like, Richmond, Fredricksburg, Gettysburg, Washington DC and many more towns and cities across the land east of the Mississippi (and Texas). We need a great Civil War game. Aswell we also need a great Napolianic War game! Don't yall agree?

(PS-sorry for any misspelled words, don't think i did though)

NoRemnants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 NoRemnants
Member since 2006 • 3351 Posts

Yall, lots of great stradagy games are comong/are out: Medieval 2 Total War (an their new expansion pack), Company of Heros (and their new expansion pack) aswell as LOTR:BFME 2 (and the expansion pack), Surpreme Commander, SW:EAW (and the expansion pack [except for the new faction that sucks,but thats for another topic]), and there are more. BUT we NEED a good American Civil War strady game. One that has the latest graphics. One that you take controll of the Confederacy or the union. One that has a stratigic map (one like in Medieval 2 Total War) and you build units, artillary, infantry, cavarly and then you move on the enemy and class in epic real time battles! Fight across the terrain of Virginia, thourgh the hills of Tennesse, the plains of Texas, or move up and fight in Marlyland, Pennsilvania. Fight at cities like, Richmond, Fredricksburg, Gettysburg, Washington DC and many more towns and cities across the land east of the Mississippi (and Texas). We need a great Civil War game. Aswell we also need a great Napolianic War game! Don't yall agree?

ZalBal

Yep I would like to have one too.

Vfanek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Vfanek
Member since 2006 • 7719 Posts
[QUOTE="ZalBal"]

Yall, lots of great stradagy games are comong/are out: Medieval 2 Total War (an their new expansion pack), Company of Heros (and their new expansion pack) aswell as LOTR:BFME 2 (and the expansion pack), Surpreme Commander, SW:EAW (and the expansion pack [except for the new faction that sucks,but thats for another topic]), and there are more. BUT we NEED a good American Civil War strady game. One that has the latest graphics. One that you take controll of the Confederacy or the union. One that has a stratigic map (one like in Medieval 2 Total War) and you build units, artillary, infantry, cavarly and then you move on the enemy and class in epic real time battles! Fight across the terrain of Virginia, thourgh the hills of Tennesse, the plains of Texas, or move up and fight in Marlyland, Pennsilvania. Fight at cities like, Richmond, Fredricksburg, Gettysburg, Washington DC and many more towns and cities across the land east of the Mississippi (and Texas). We need a great Civil War game. Aswell we also need a great Napolianic War game! Don't yall agree?

XBSHX

Yep I would like to have one too.

I would first of all like to have some columns. I'm tired, I can't read that :/ 

bogaty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 bogaty
Member since 2003 • 4750 Posts
Go grab a copy of Take Command: 2nd Manassas.  Great game and the AI is fantastic.  Unlike the braindead AI in MII:TW, it'll definitely give you a challenge.
Djmaster214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Djmaster214
Member since 2005 • 3240 Posts
uhhh. theres one by the hidtory chanel at target civil war a nation divided. at target its like 19.99
Eadara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Eadara
Member since 2006 • 2163 Posts
Are there any for the Napoleonic wars?  I don't really keep track of RTS's
thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
Age of Empire 3
lokstah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 lokstah
Member since 2005 • 1213 Posts

Age of Empire 3thusaha

I don't think the topic creator is asking for a game which offers some American Civil War-esque combat, or Napoleanic War-esque combat... especially not as part of a larger sequence of eras, like you've got in the AOE games.

Frankly, I agree with his request. Sure, there are games which offer snippets of these worlds (like AOE), and sure, there are serious niche strategy titles which take us there (like 2nd Manassas), but are there any marquee Civil War or Napoleanic RTS titles which offer the same polish and depth of WWII champ Company of Heroes, or the various Total War games? Nope, not yet.

I'd love to see one.

LordNorris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 LordNorris
Member since 2006 • 39 Posts

It's 11 years old, but Sid Meier's Gettysburg is still the best game I've ever played.

You can find it as freeware now I think.

BenTheJamin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 BenTheJamin
Member since 2005 • 927 Posts
if you have half-life or half-life 2 there is a mod called battlegrounds thats the civil war i think. it might be the revolutionary war.
oscar530

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 oscar530
Member since 2005 • 4430 Posts
Wasn't there a Civil War game released like...last month or something? It had something to do with the History Channel and I know this because I saw it at Best Buy.
linkthewindow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 linkthewindow
Member since 2005 • 5654 Posts
What about Company of Heroes done Civil War-could be interesting. The only bad thing about a civil war game, is that it will be unrealistic, because I dobt that the majority of PC gamers will want to wait 5 minutes to fire an inaccurate shot out of a musket. Op. Flashpoint: Civil War?
lokstah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 lokstah

Wasn't there a Civil War game released like...last month or something? It had something to do with the History Channel and I know this because I saw it at Best Buy. oscar530

There's weird bargain-bin Civil War stuff released every so often, but rarely anything polished, or good, for that matter. There was a horrible-looking Civil War-themed FPS churned out last year. The topic creator is sharing a valid daydream: how about a Civil War (or Napoleanic) title with serious muscle behind it? Something on par with Company of Heroes, or Total War, in terms of scope, scale, detail and presentation?

What about Company of Heroes done Civil War-could be interesting. The only bad thing about a civil war game, is that it will be unrealistic, because I dobt that the majority of PC gamers will want to wait 5 minutes to fire an inaccurate shot out of a musket. Op. Flashpoint: Civil War?linkthewindow

Company of Heroes, though friggin' awesome, is a bad model for this topic. It's all about squad-scale combat: maneuvering and positioning small numbers of guys, carefully, over detailed, complex maps. The Civil War is memorable, however, as a dying gasp of the Napoleanic model of warfare--a good Civil War game would focus on bigger, broader troop movements--more in line, I suppose, with what you see in Total War battles.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts
Didn't make it before Bogaty :D Seriously Take Command 2 is recent and it fricking rocks(finaly something surpassed Sid Meier's Gettysburg)
lazynerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 lazynerd
Member since 2002 • 1449 Posts

Didn't make it before Bogaty :D Seriously Take Command 2 is recent and it fricking rocks(finaly something surpassed Sid Meier's Gettysburg)AdrianWerner

Take Command: Second Manassas is uber sweet.. great pitched battles and very realistic.

JesusFreak1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 JesusFreak1990
Member since 2007 • 1298 Posts

Yall, lots of great stradagy games are comong/are out: Medieval 2 Total War (an their new expansion pack), Company of Heros (and their new expansion pack) aswell as LOTR:BFME 2 (and the expansion pack), Surpreme Commander, SW:EAW (and the expansion pack [except for the new faction that sucks,but thats for another topic]), and there are more. BUT we NEED a good American Civil War strady game. One that has the latest graphics. One that you take controll of the Confederacy or the union. One that has a stratigic map (one like in Medieval 2 Total War) and you build units, artillary, infantry, cavarly and then you move on the enemy and class in epic real time battles! Fight across the terrain of Virginia, thourgh the hills of Tennesse, the plains of Texas, or move up and fight in Marlyland, Pennsilvania. Fight at cities like, Richmond, Fredricksburg, Gettysburg, Washington DC and many more towns and cities across the land east of the Mississippi (and Texas). We need a great Civil War game. Aswell we also need a great Napolianic War game! Don't yall agree?

Yeah I agree. I was thinking a while back that they should make one for the Total War series.

ZalBal
JesusFreak1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JesusFreak1990
Wasn't there a Civil War game released like...last month or something? It had something to do with the History Channel and I know this because I saw it at Best Buy. oscar530
Yeah but I heard that game stunk. Oh yeah, I just remembered, DUDE the Age of empires 3 game is civil war!
lokstah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 lokstah

[QUOTE="oscar530"]Wasn't there a Civil War game released like...last month or something? It had something to do with the History Channel and I know this because I saw it at Best Buy. JesusFreak1990
Yeah but I heard that game stunk. Oh yeah, I just remembered, DUDE the Age of empires 3 game is civil war!

Why do people keep saying that? Age of Empires III isn't a Civil War game; it's not even close. It spans an era which includes the mid-19th century, and it involves North American combat, but no-way-no-how can it be interpreted as a game based on the conflict between the USA and the seccesionist CSA, fought in the 1860s.

The topic creator is proposing a game as dedicated to the American Civil War as Company of Heroes is dedicated to WWII, not another sandbox game which happens to have a mid-19th century era available for play.

JesusFreak1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 JesusFreak1990

[QUOTE="JesusFreak1990"][QUOTE="oscar530"]Wasn't there a Civil War game released like...last month or something? It had something to do with the History Channel and I know this because I saw it at Best Buy. lokstah

Why do people keep saying that? Age of Empires III isn't a Civil War game; it's not even close. It spans an era which includes the mid-19th century, and it involves North American combat, but no-way-no-how can it be interpreted as a game based on the conflict between the USA and the seccesionist CSA, fought in the 1860s.

The topic creator is proposing a game as dedicated to the American Civil War as Company of Heroes is dedicated to WWII, not another sandbox game which happens to have a mid-19th century era available for play.

Oh, sorry. Guess I should not have said anything because I only played the demo for Age of Empires 3 and I thought it was Civil War, Besides I checked the person who posted this topics profile and they already have AOE 3.

CTBrewer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 CTBrewer
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

I'm bringing this thread back from the dead because I still have this question.

I see 3 strategy ACW games from Matrix which are new and cover the entire war. Any recommendations on the best of them?

I prefer turn based vs real time.

bogaty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 bogaty

I'd suggest you take a look at AGEOD's American Civil War. It's a very interesting game system which can take some time getting used it, but it's rewarding once you do.

A lot of serious wargamers praise Forge of Freedom from Matrix, but I just don't care for the game engine myself. Feels too much like I'm playing a spreadsheet.

Avatar image for deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4
deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22 deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4
Member since 2007 • 10077 Posts
Empire: Total War sounds perfect for you.
bogaty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 bogaty

Empire: Total War sounds perfect for you.bangell99

Yes. The way Empire: Total War comprehensively avoids covering the American Civil War at all would make it perfect for someone looking for a game that covers the American Civil War.

Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#24 Staryoshi87
Member since 2003 • 12760 Posts
The history channel one sucked, but was interesting because it was so bad. The Half Life 2 mod wasn't very good.
F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 F1_2004
Member since 2003 • 8009 Posts
An american civil war game wouldn't have an audience outside of the US because nobody else gives a damn.
bogaty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 bogaty

An american civil war game wouldn't have an audience outside of the US because nobody else gives a damn.F1_2004

I don't buy that argument. I'm not an American yet I enjoy ACW games. I also enjoy games about Napoleonic Warfare, Romans, 19thC British colonial expansion, etc...

RedDanDoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 RedDanDoc
Member since 2005 • 3720 Posts
An american civil war game wouldn't have an audience outside of the US because nobody else gives a damn.F1_2004
Dont betray your intelligence ! The USA civil war is one of the most fascinating and most studied theatres of modern warfare it after all was the first modern war. I'm a Brit and I can assure you that I and many like me do give a damn. Its fascinating stuff and i'd love to play a game like Company of Heroes but set during the The US civil war .