deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

As for now it looks like RDR2 isn't getting a physical PC release kinda of bummed about it. Rockstar was one of the last developers left where I could still get a boxed copy on PC. I have more digital games now of course but I'm going to miss getting a retail version of a Rockstar game. I been gaming on PC for about 14 years now and it's kinda of sad to see a end of this tradition.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

CDs are thing of the past, BUT if I'd be Rockstar I'd charge extra for CD or might even switch to Disk on Key form - for the physical copy fans.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#3  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17803 Posts

I bought GTA V physical and the amount of DVDs is ridiculous. It took forever to install it. Much quicker just downloading it. I think the lack of support of blu-ray games on PC accelerated the death of physical PC games.

neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#4 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4400 Posts
@BassMan said:

I bought GTA V physical and the amount of DVDs is ridiculous. It took forever to install it. Much quicker just downloading it. I think the lack of support of blu-ray games on PC accelerated the death of physical PC games.

I'd still much rather have a physical copy over a digital. I suppose mostly for nostalgia, lots of fond memories growing up with physical media (5.25" floppy and 3.5" disks, CDs and DVDs) and having an awesome manual or book with a backstory to the world you're going to dive into....

Now it just feels kind of empty. Download and play - 99% of it is all digital now and feels very detached, I guess that's the best way to describe it.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#5  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17803 Posts

@neatfeatguy: I used to like the that stuff too, but as I got older, I realized that it just creates clutter. I would rather just download the game and launch it without having to worry about swapping discs or any bullshit. I don't even need to bring a game anywhere. I can just login to my account on any PC and have access to my games, Digital is much better. Besides, manufacturing all the discs and packaging is bad for the environment.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

Think of the environment, all that wasted paper and plastic. Digital is the future.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56060 Posts

@BassMan said:

Diablo 3 was the last physical format I have ever purchase and I can tell you now, I do NOT miss physical gaming at all and when this gen start, I went digital and never look back. Believe me, I was a pro physical gamer but too much stuff was getting in the way in my house and digital makes my gaming life much easier and I still own my games, despite it's all digital.

To be honest, I still use my DVD drive install into my PC just in case if I find any older PC games that you can only find in physical. Never hurts to have it install in my PC after all.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

Make your own box.

That's a thing people do.

Boxed copies of modern games are super boring anyway.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 horgen
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@davillain- said:
@BassMan said:

Diablo 3 was the last physical format I have ever purchase and I can tell you now, I do NOT miss physical gaming at all and when this gen start, I went digital and never look back. Believe me, I was a pro physical gamer but too much stuff was getting in the way in my house and digital makes my gaming life much easier and I still own my games, despite it's all digital.

To be honest, I still use my DVD drive install into my PC just in case if I find any older PC games that you can only find in physical. Never hurts to have it install in my PC after all.

After building my own computer, 2012-2013 I think, I have never had a DVD drive. Do wonder if I should get an external blu-ray one to copy my blu-rays over to PC...

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#10 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

I Fully support any company moving away from physical copies. Its just pointless garbage generation at this point

haven't bought a physical copy of a game in years. i think Total War Shogun 2 was the last PC game I bought a physical copy of.

It'd beUncharted 4 on consoles but i've switched to buying digital on there as well, even though its more expensive and prevents reselling of games.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

I fully despise any broadband company that puts on any data caps under 1TB a month.

FFS. Here's your faster internet! But you can only use it x amount!

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

Last physical disc copy of a game I bought was Bioshock Infinite. Even then, I'd already gone mostly digital, and only got the physical copy because I preordered and got the collector's edition with alternate box art. Looks awesome. Also, I still didn't even install off the discs. Just registered the CD key on steam and downloaded. Faster than physical install.

urbangamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 urbangamez
Member since 2010 • 3511 Posts

sad to see it end this way but evolution must continue

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

I haven't bought a physical PC game in at least a decade (I was still getting pocket money), except for Quake 2 from the op-shop in mint condition a few months ago.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58299 Posts

@gerygo said:

CDs are thing of the past, BUT if I'd be Rockstar I'd charge extra for CD or might even switch to Disk on Key form - for the physical copy fans.

Yeah maybe a steelcase collector's edition or something. Sometimes I do miss manuals, game guides, art books, and all the assorted stuff that used to come with physical packages.

It could include a Trevor plush doll, too, to cuddle up with whilst falling asleep.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46222 Posts

@with_teeth26 said:

I Fully support any company moving away from physical copies. Its just pointless garbage generation at this point

haven't bought a physical copy of a game in years. i think Total War Shogun 2 was the last PC game I bought a physical copy of.

It'd beUncharted 4 on consoles but i've switched to buying digital on there as well, even though its more expensive and prevents reselling of games.

I don't buy games on consoles digitally because honestly most of the stores are just awful and take way too long to get anywhere.

It's unnecessary sure, but Rockstar games always had that extra care when it comes to their physical version: their posters doubling as maps for the game world. I still have a lot of those. Though I think they stopped doing that with GTA V.

Also RDR2 has a companion app so I'll use that for a map.

As for RDR2 and buying it digitally. I'm gonna strap in and wait for the Steam version, I love sharing my screenshots on there and I think this game looks mindblowing so I don't really want it on another storefront.

Not in a hurry, November is Jedi: Fallen Order month ^_^

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#18 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:
@with_teeth26 said:

I don't buy games on consoles digitally because honestly most of the stores are just awful and take way too long to get anywhere.

It's unnecessary sure, but Rockstar games always had that extra care when it comes to their physical version: their posters doubling as maps for the game world. I still have a lot of those. Though I think they stopped doing that with GTA V.

Also RDR2 has a companion app so I'll use that for a map.

As for RDR2 and buying it digitally. I'm gonna strap in and wait for the Steam version, I love sharing my screenshots on there and I think this game looks mindblowing so I don't really want it on another storefront.

Not in a hurry, November is Jedi: Fallen Order month ^_^

look forward to seeing your screenshots! i'm sure it'll be gorgeous on PC

R-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 R-Gamer
Member since 2019 • 2221 Posts

@tenaka2: Who throws away the case to a video game?

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13663 Posts

I've never liked physical games on the PC. It's just easier to manage them from a client.