A Brilliant Ideea...well,maybe..i guess

This topic is locked from further discussion.

znoop2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 znoop2006
Member since 2005 • 375 Posts
Hmm...Im was thinking last night "i couldn't sleep" ..what if: they made games and you could interact voicely with the person from the game..i mean example: GTA4.....Your at some boss to take a job and depend on what are you sayin in the mic' the boss could reply with some other sentence....or, example: rob a bank and say in the mic' "hands up all of ya this is a bank robbery" and the "people" just lay down on  the floor the guardian trys to take his gun out yada yada yada...And it aint so impossible....for exemple they implement some words in the game, and depend what sentence do you use they interect like that.....well..i think it would be very cool....at least in my opinion "sry for the bad english"
Lytnin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#2 Lytnin
Member since 2003 • 186 Posts
Interesting.  But then you have people that mumble into the mic while robbing a store.  "Gimme all your dough!"  becomes "get me that to go".  Instead of a bag of cash you get a burger and fries.  That'd suck.
Neon_Tool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Neon_Tool
Member since 2005 • 281 Posts
Your idea is quite unique, but the problem is that voice recognition, even though having come far in terms of reliability, is still not good enough to be used as a key element in gameplay. The fact that the player would quite probably be too excited to say something in a relaxed way would give a lot of problems to the speech recognition system and therefore ruining the whole experience. But a nice idea though.
*Parrotman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 *Parrotman
Member since 2005 • 521 Posts
There was a survival-horror game for the PS2 that had this function, but I can't remember the name......
EntwineX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#5 EntwineX
Member since 2005 • 5858 Posts
Prolly in the future it might even be used more, personally I don't like talking to myself alone, my roommates would think I've gone crazy ..or crazier anyway.
gamerchris810

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 gamerchris810
Member since 2007 • 2372 Posts
i agree its very strange when on counter strike shouting ok guys go! then my mum walks in
geitenvla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 geitenvla
Member since 2006 • 960 Posts
Bassicly what you want is a computer with the capabilities of C3PO... I guess we have to wait for that a looooooooooooooooooooooooong time. It would be very cool though.
Velocitas8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Velocitas8
Member since 2006 • 10748 Posts
It'll be a while before we're at that point, but UT3 will have bots capable of following specific voice commands given by the player to the point where they can tie commands to specific places or objects in the map. One example used in an interview was that you could tell a certain bot team-mate (by first addressing them using his/her name) to "kill the sniper in that tower."

It's a cool feature, but I'll be playing online so I guess I won't be using it much.

Edit: Many don't realize it but UT2004 also had basic voice recognition for bots. You had to use the bot's assigned callsign (Bravo, Charlie, etc) and you could give them commands like "Cover Me, Attack, Defend, etc" I guess Epic is taking the next step with UT3 and significantly expanding on that.
Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#9 Oni
Member since 2002 • 1649 Posts
Once they have the technology that can do what you ask, that's what they'll do, precisely.
corky842

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 corky842
Member since 2004 • 257 Posts
There was a survival-horror game for the PS2 that had this function, but I can't remember the name......Parrotman

I remember reading about that...
Searching Google...
LifeLine
h0wtehnub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 h0wtehnub
Member since 2006 • 730 Posts
Im imagining someone with a heavy accent trying to give out voice commands...
basersx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 basersx
Member since 2005 • 6222 Posts

No one would want that for the same reason voice recognition never caught on.  People don’t like to sit in an empty room and talk to their computers.  It feels weird.  Sitting in a room with other people and talking to your computer is even worse.

That’s why no one uses voice recognition; the software has gotten so good that it really does work like “Star Trek” etc.  But still people just don’t like talking to their computers.

geitenvla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 geitenvla
Member since 2006 • 960 Posts

No one would want that for the same reason voice recognition never caught on. People don’t like to sit in an empty room and talk to their computers. It feels weird. Sitting in a room with other people and talking to your computer is even worse.

That’s why no one uses voice recognition; the software has gotten so good that it really does work like “Star Trek” etc. But still people just don’t like talking to their computers.

basersx

QFE
Correct... it is possible, give or take some mistakes. (I love this video) The threshold is intelligent feedback. That's why I said we needed a C3PO earlier. At this time talking to a computer is the same as talking to a submarine (or whatever). When that changes, my guess is talking to "computers" will be a normal day thing. Question is, do we live to see it.
Harpy170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Harpy170
Member since 2007 • 33 Posts
The best utilization I've seen of this up to now has been in the Rainbow Six series, hollering zulu never got old lol, I used it with my xbox and xbox live headset.
DarKre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DarKre
Member since 2003 • 9529 Posts
IT would still be extremly linear, as the number of pre-programmed voice commands the DEV's could make would be very limited.