8 gig ram too much?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ryuketsu2043

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Ryuketsu2043
Member since 2004 • 1899 Posts

So i just built my pc and i have 8 gigs of ram in there and people are saying im crazy, but im a heavy gamer who plays lots of mmos and i want to play BF3 and other upcoming games at close to mx if i can. I had the extra money so through in 8 gigs. Whats everyone's opinion on this?

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
Never too much,but it won't help you in games
gravitygamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 gravitygamer
Member since 2010 • 948 Posts
6 would be fine.
BLaZiNg_SPEED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 BLaZiNg_SPEED
Member since 2009 • 406 Posts

8 GB RAM is more future proof. Of-course for now you don't need that much RAM at all. 6 GB is more than enough.

But maybe in 5 years time when games require more RAM. Then 8 GB RAM will be needed.

Basically for now it's a waste of money. I would only upgrade to 6 if I was you. In 5 years time if you are gonna need more RAM you upgrade then. RAM will be even cheaper than, than it is now.

jernas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#5 jernas
Member since 2005 • 1514 Posts

8 GB RAM is more future proof. Of-course for now you don't need that much RAM at all. 6 GB is more than enough.

But maybe in 5 years time when games require more RAM. Then 8 GB RAM will be needed.

Basically for now it's a waste of money. I would only upgrade to 6 if I was you. In 5 years time if you are gonna need more RAM you upgrade then. RAM will be even cheaper than, than it is now.

BLaZiNg_SPEED

Let's make it 2 or 3 years. 5 years seems a bit far away.

danjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 danjammer69
Member since 2004 • 4331 Posts

I went with 8 gig also.

It causes no harm and the price difference is minimal with RAM prices these days.

Just enjoy your future proofiness.

In games and such with heavy use, I have reached 3.5 gigs of usage. I wouldn't want to have done that with only 4 gigs. but Windows 7 is kinda weird, The more RAM you have, the more it will use.

Avatar image for hartsickdiscipl
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 hartsickdiscipl
Member since 2003 • 14787 Posts

If you're building a rig today with a decent budget to work with, it makes sense to go with 8gb. While there aren't many tasks (certainly not many games) that will use over 4gb right now, this is a great time to buy RAM. DDR3 looks to be firmly entrenched for at least the next couple of years, so it's a good investment. DDR3 is so damn cheap right now that it makes sense to snatch up 8gb. I know that I plan on transferring my 8gb over to my next rig, which will probably use whatever comes after the current gen of CPUs/mobos (after Bulldozer/Sandy Bridge). I'll be pissed if we move onto something other than DDR3, but ehh.. I'll always be able to sell it for something.

danjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 danjammer69

If you're building a rig today with a decent budget to work with, it makes sense to go with 8gb. While there aren't many tasks (certainly not many games) that will use over 4gb right now, this is a great time to buy RAM. DDR3 looks to be firmly entrenched for at least the next couple of years, so it's a good investment. DDR3 is so damn cheap right now that it makes sense to snatch up 8gb. I know that I plan on transferring my 8gb over to my next rig, which will probably use whatever comes after the current gen of CPUs/mobos (after Bulldozer/Sandy Bridge). I'll be pissed if we move onto something other than DDR3, but ehh.. I'll always be able to sell it for something.

hartsickdiscipl
It's funny, cuz if you have an older rig say ddr2 or older, it costs a fortune next to ddr3. I remember when RAM used to be so expensive.
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#9 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

I went with 8 gig also.

It causes no harm and the price difference is minimal with RAM prices these days.

Just enjoy your future proofiness.

In games and such with heavy use, I have reached 3.5 gigs of usage. I wouldn't want to have done that with only 4 gigs. but Windows 7 is kinda weird, The more RAM you have, the more it will use.

danjammer69
Agreed. 8 gigs is good, you never know when developers will fully move over to a 64-bit environment. It will come, possibly sooner than we think. Single-player RPGs are fairly huge, soon filesize & RAM constraints will push devs into 64-bit.
jedinat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jedinat
Member since 2003 • 3560 Posts
Yeah, it's so cheap right now, there's no reason not to go 8GB... just bought 8GB of Corsair ddr3 1600 for $54 shipped.
AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts
8 isnt really needed yet but considering its only like few bucks more when you buy it in a combo pack I think its worth it
James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

8 is really not needed, but i plan on upgrading during christmas time. To 8.

If you have the money go for it.

nchan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 nchan
Member since 2004 • 1059 Posts
lol, with ram so cheap, i bought another 4 gigs for 50 bucks. it never hurts to have more ram.
danjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 danjammer69

Why are people staying to stick with 4 gig or trying to show him other ram options?

He said in his post that he already has 8 gigs of RAM.

Gee whiz people.

middle-earth88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 middle-earth88
Member since 2006 • 1262 Posts

You can buy 8GB of DDR3 now for the same price I paid for 4GB of DDR3 earlier this year. It is totally worth it, I might be biased though because I run dual monitors now.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

I remember a mate of mine arguing with a college lecturer about how 4mb RAMwould never be enough to future proof a computer, the lecturer was of the opinion that no one would ever have any need for more than that.

Basically you can never have too much RAM

Hekynn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Hekynn
Member since 2003 • 2164 Posts
Never too much man 8gb is perfect for gaming it will come in handy when Skyrim Rage Battlefield 3 and all the new titles that's coming out this fall.
danjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 danjammer69
[QUOTE="GarGx1"]

I remember a mate of mine arguing with a college lecturer about how 4mb RAMwould never be enough to future proof a computer, the lecturer was of the opinion that no one would ever have any need for more than that.

4MB? When the hell were you in college?
AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts

[QUOTE="GarGx1"]

danjammer69

4MB? When the hell were you in college?

I remember getting a new computer with 8mb of ram and a CD rom drive it was freaking awesome upgrade from my old computer it also had a 500mb harddrive. My old computer only had like 20mb harddrive. 66mhz of pure awesomeness.

jedinat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jedinat
Member since 2003 • 3560 Posts

I remember getting a new computer with 8mb of ram and a CD rom drive it was freaking awesome upgrade from my old computer it also had a 500mb harddrive. My old computer only had like 20mb harddrive. 66mhz of pure awesomeness.AutoPilotOn

lol. My first computer had a 400MB hard drive and Windows took up like half of it... It was 486 upgraded to Pentium 100... I'd often have to uninstall one game to make room for another... those were the days.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

I really like all the "8 Gigs is too much, but 6 gigs is fine" posts.

All matched pairs of ram are either 4 gigs or 8 gigs when it is dual channel, so getting 6 gigs is extra effort.

halokillerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 halokillerz
Member since 2004 • 3406 Posts

All matched pairs of ram are either 4 gigs or 8 gigs when it is dual channel, so getting 6 gigs is extra effort.

GummiRaccoon
unless u have tri-channel :P
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts
[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

halokillerz
unless u have tri-channel :P

Or Corsair muck up your RMA and return you 2x2GB when you sent them 1x2GB. :D