7nm Geforce confirmed by Nvidia mid 2020 & possibly substantial power boost!

#1 Posted by DaVillain- (36927 posts) -

Taken from: PC Games

Nvidia confirms “substantial” Samsung 7nm graphics card production in 2020

Nvidia has now officially announced that its next-gen 7nm graphics processors are going to be built on Samsung’s 7nm EUV node.

amsung itself had apparently touted Nvidia as one of its 7nm launch partners, which would peg a mid-2020 release date for the potential Ampere GPUs.

Seems all too good but I can imaging this would lower the prices $1,200 such as 2080Ti. Should be PCI-E 4.0/5.0 with HDMI 2.1 8K and I'm positive the fastest Samsung memory chips available.

#2 Posted by R4gn4r0k (31210 posts) -

I won't be buying if the prices are as expensive as the RTX series again. I will just lower my settings.

#3 Posted by Random_Matt (4247 posts) -

The 5700XT is probably a sufficient buy for more price conscious consumers and it is not a power hog that people on here were saying, it's total board power is fairly low.

But yeah, I do not tend to buy Nvidia often because of their pricing, ampere will likely be the same price point. Another question is when does Nvidia lower prices? You must live in an alternative universe.

#4 Posted by Horgen (120599 posts) -

Might get top end or second to top. Hopefully RT performance is much better. Would be nice with Cybepunk 2077.

#5 Posted by PredatorRules (12447 posts) -
@davillain- said:

Nvidia has now officially announced that its next-gen 7nm graphics processors are going to be built on Samsung’s 7nm EUV node.

amsung itself had apparently touted Nvidia as one of its 7nm launch partners, which would peg a mid-2020 release date for the potential Ampere GPUs.

Seems all too good but I can imaging this would lower the prices $1,200 such as 2080Ti. Should be PCI-E 4.0/5.0 with HDMI 2.1 8K and I'm positive the fastest Samsung memory chips available.

Nvidia - lowering prices? while leading the GPU industry?

#6 Posted by Grey_Eyed_Elf (6453 posts) -

@horgen: Cyberpunk is what tipped me over the edge to get a 2080 Ti... Hopefully the card is enough to run it at 1440/60 with Ray Tracing features on moderate or better settings and the core game on High/Ultra.

#7 Posted by with_teeth26 (9556 posts) -
@R4gn4r0k said:

I won't be buying if the prices are as expensive as the RTX series again. I will just lower my settings.

that or switch to team red

#8 Posted by Horgen (120599 posts) -

@with_teeth26 said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

He might as well stay with nVidia and use anything made after 2016 then. :P

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

@horgen: Cyberpunk is what tipped me over the edge to get a 2080 Ti... Hopefully the card is enough to run it at 1440/60 with Ray Tracing features on moderate or better settings and the core game on High/Ultra.

That card.. Wanted it but damn it is expensive.

#9 Posted by R4gn4r0k (31210 posts) -

@with_teeth26 said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

I kinda signed a pact with the devil.

I'm using a Gsync monitor now, and that stuff is so sweet that I can not buy a AMD card now :P

But at least Intel and AMD will offer competition and that is a good thing for Nvidia users aswell.

#10 Posted by osan0 (15441 posts) -

......Come one my ickle RX580...you have 1 more year in ya.

i really want to hold out for the RTX 3000series/ Radeon 6000 series and of course intel will be entering the fray. that could throw a big spanner in the works.

#11 Posted by with_teeth26 (9556 posts) -
@R4gn4r0k said:
@with_teeth26 said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

I kinda signed a pact with the devil.

I'm using a Gsync monitor now, and that stuff is so sweet that I can not buy a AMD card now :P

But at least Intel and AMD will offer competition and that is a good thing for Nvidia users aswell.

yea, i'm in the same boat. hopefully Nvidia are a bit more sane with their pricing next gen

#12 Posted by DaVillain- (36927 posts) -

@PredatorRules said:
@davillain- said:

Nvidia - lowering prices? while leading the GPU industry?

LOL I was hoping with the upcoming 7nm, Nvidia would at least considering lowering 2080Ti price but even I admit, that's a pipe man's dream.

@osan0 said:

......Come one my ickle RX580...you have 1 more year in ya.

i really want to hold out for the RTX 3000series/ Radeon 6000 series and of course intel will be entering the fray. that could throw a big spanner in the works.

5700 XT looks pretty good now that AMD lower the price and it seems to be on par with the 1080Ti.

#13 Posted by osan0 (15441 posts) -

@davillain-: Yeah it looks solid. But i just think now is a really bad time to get a GPU. I tend to buy high (the 580 was an exception due to the mining boom).

i'm looking for a card that just really nails 4K properly and hits the sweet spot in price v performance to get the job done. its hard to say exactly what form that card will take but i will know it when i see it.

you know the cards: slightly insane at launch but they tend to age very well. the 8800GTX. the HD 7970. the myths...the legends :P.

the 2080TI is the closest to that at the moment but its too expensive and the RTX side of the card is going to let it down in future i think. 1-2 years from now itll be "oh yeah: the 2080Ti can take anything at 4K you throw at it...just turn the RTX stuff way down or off and you are good to go". but next year i think nvidia will find a better balance.

Intel are also entering the fray so that could be very interesting (though i suspect they are more interested in the data center and possibly mining side of the business rather than the gaming...but who knows?).

AMD may surprise too. 12 more months of R&D and 3 successful gens of ryzen means they can start throwing more money at GPU R&D again. Navi is a good start in catching up but there is still a lot more to do.

In saying that im also looking at getting into VR this year and i suspect my RX580 is going to struggle with the workload an index will throw at it. so i may bite the bullet and get a 5700XT and hold onto that for a few years.

#14 Posted by appariti0n (2783 posts) -

@osan0: I'm kind of the same. I tend to hold out until I can at least double my gpu power for the same relative price paid for the previous card.