720p HDTV + PS3 or just a 1080p HDTV?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

testament1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 testament1
Member since 2004 • 334 Posts

Okay, I'm finally wanting to take the plunge and upgrade to HDTV. I have about a $800 budget, so I want to get the most bang for my buck. I currently do not own a PS3 or Xbox, so I'm wanting to get one of those as well(PS3). But I'm having a hard time deciding on the TV that I want to get. Here are the TV's I'm currently looking at:

720p

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-PN42C430-42-Inch-Plasma-Black/dp/B0036WT3UW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=tv&qid=1274066099&sr=1-1

or

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-PN42C450-42-Inch-Plasma-Black/dp/B0036WT3V6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=tv&qid=1274066099&sr=1-2

1080p

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-TC-P42U2-42-Inch-1080p-Plasma/dp/B00392141U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=tv&qid=1274113156&sr=1-1

Okay, so those are the sets I've come down to. I decided on plasma, because if I'm spending $6-800 on a TV, I want the most beautiful picture available.

But I'm wondering if the upgrade to 1080p is worth it? I measure my viewing distance last night, and my couch is about 7-8 feet away from where the TV is, and my recliner will be closer to 8-9 feet. I've done a bit of research, and apparently with my viewing distance, I won't even notice the 1080p. Is that true?

I would love to save the money, and just invest that in a PS3, but I also want to take full advantage of my PS3, while also ensuring my TV is a little more future proof. Will the 720p TV provide me with the same level of quality and lifespan that a 1080p set? Will I feel cheated if I try to watch a Bluray movie on a 720p set?

A couple other questions as well:

1: What's the difference between the two 720p sets I listed? The first is like $50 cheaper, but I can see no difference between the two.

2: Plasma burning and ghosting...should I be afraid of this? I've read about this, and some people say it's really bad, while others say it's exaggerated. I want the quality of plasma, but I don't want to look like an idiot in a year when there's a news ticker permanently burned onto my screen.

3: Lifespan of HDTV's. How much repair and maintenance will my HDTV require? Will I have to constantly replace bulbs and expensive components, or will it last about as long as a SDTV, while requiring about the same amount of maintenance?

4: Also, what will SDTV be like on these HDTV's? I plan on upgrading my Dish to HDTV once I get the set, but there will still be lot's of channels I watch that will be SD. Will it look horrible?

5: And finally, is ordering a TV online from Amazon safe? Does anyone have experience buying HDTV's from Amazon? I'm just worried about damage during delivery. In addition, how would returns and warranties work through Amazon?

As one can tell, I'm a total HDTV newb, and I don't want to make a large purchase, only to regret it. Any help would be appreciated. I'm sure you guy's get these types of questions all the time, but I really want to make a smart and educated decision about this.

Thanks.

Gregoroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Gregoroth
Member since 2005 • 2552 Posts

You shouldn't worry about burn in, in this day and age. You may get some image retention with a new set but imo, LCD motion blur, backlight bleed/inconsistency, narrow viewing angles and glowing grey-blacks are far worse.

3: Lifespan of HDTV's. How much repair and maintenance will my HDTV require? Will I have to constantly replace bulbs and expensive components, or will it last about as long as a SDTV, while requiring about the same amount of maintenance?testament1

As far as I know, a plasma or LCD should require zero maintenance over its life.

4: Also, what will SDTV be like on these HDTV's? I plan on upgrading my Dish to HDTV once I get the set, but there will still be lot's of channels I watch that will be SD. Will it look horrible?testament1

SD will generally look better on a HD ready plasma than a HD ready LCD (unless it features excellent SD upscaling) due to slightly lower horizontal resolution, besides the excellent motion performance, colour/blacks and viewing angles. Don't forget, this also hides (to an extent) jaggies in games better too.

5: And finally, is ordering a TV online from Amazon safe? Does anyone have experience buying HDTV's from Amazon? I'm just worried about damage during delivery. In addition, how would returns and warranties work through Amazon?testament1

The packaging of the TV's should be designed to keep the TV safe. You would be unlucky to have a damaged set and from what I've seen, Amazon are always easy to deal with for returns.

I'd forget the 1080p plasma. Imo, it's not worth the asking price. Personally, I'd wait until critic reviews for the LG 42PJ350 start appearing before making a decision. I'm in the same boat and currently looking at the Samsung PS42C450 and the PJ350. The Samsung (50") had a great review on AVForums which also mentioned no noticeable input lag for gaming and very low power consumption.

Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts
These numbers don't really correspond with the numbers of your questions, they are just the points I wanted to keep separate. 1 - if you can get both an hdtv and a ps3, I'd say go for it. Most games look great in 720p anyway. 2 - If there's no difference other than price, it may come down to who the seller is on the site. 3 - Amazon is just as safe or un-safe as winning something from ebay. There may or may not be any actions you could take in the case of an undelivered item. You really just have to trust that you will receive what you pay for. 4 - SDTV on HDTV really depnds on how picky you are. I, for one, run everything full-screen stretched and don't really mind things as old as NES or Sega Genesis on my tv. Keep in mind an SDTV tends to be less sharp and when you get a screen that is completely sharp, the difference is noticeable - it's really how much it bothers you.
LoserMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 LoserMike
Member since 2003 • 4915 Posts

Depends on how many Blu-Rays you want to watch, other than some games, that's the only thing that is 1080p.

WiiRocks66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 WiiRocks66
Member since 2007 • 3488 Posts

At that viewing distance, you will never tell the difference between 720p and 1080p on a 42 inch set. So go with the 720p and PS3. And I don't feel like typing out a long reply and answering your other questions now, but I'll edit and answer tomorrow.

YoungSinatra25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 YoungSinatra25
Member since 2009 • 4314 Posts
Gregoroth pretty much hit it on the head... I'd go for Tv and System personally. I'll be getting a 42" Plasma when I can appropriate the funds. Most likely a Sammy cause the new Panni's have issues... Also your gonna need speakers.
ramansingh3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 ramansingh3
Member since 2007 • 57 Posts

Go with 720p and a playstation 3, reason being is that all HDTV channels look great in 720p and about 90% of playstation 3 games are displayed in native 720p. The difference between the 2 is virtually unnoticable unless you get a 50'' or bigger.

shawty1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 shawty1984
Member since 2007 • 938 Posts

Go with 720p and a playstation 3, reason being is that all HDTV channels look great in 720p and about 90% of playstation 3 games are displayed in native 720p. The difference between the 2 is virtually unnoticable unless you get a 50'' or bigger.

ramansingh3

Wrong, you have not mentioned viewing distance, so how you can state that baffles me.

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

1080p is only worth it if you watch a lot of blu-rays and use a gaming PC on your TV. Otherwise go with 720p. I say that because:

1. X360 and PS3 games display at a max of 720p. The consoles claim 1080p but this is only true for games with simplistic graphics (ie PSN and Arcade games). Games that claim 1080p output mean that they either allow upscaling to that resolution or have some movies that display in that resolution. The X360 and PS3 simply do not have the power to play games at resolutions higher than 720p and still keep graphics detail at an acceptable level.

2. All HDTV broadcasts are in 720p or 1080i.

Thus you will actually get better picture with a 720p set since the TV won't be upscaling anything when you watch HDTV or play console games.

shawty1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 shawty1984
Member since 2007 • 938 Posts

1080p is only worth it if you watch a lot of blu-rays and use a gaming PC on your TV. Otherwise go with 720p. I say that because:

1. X360 and PS3 games display at a max of 720p. The consoles claim 1080p but this is only true for games with simplistic graphics (ie PSN and Arcade games). Games that claim 1080p output mean that they either allow upscaling to that resolution or have some movies that display in that resolution. The X360 and PS3 simply do not have the power to play games at resolutions higher than 720p and still keep graphics detail at an acceptable level.

2. All HDTV broadcasts are in 720p or 1080i.

Thus you will actually get better picture with a 720p set since the TV won't be upscaling anything when you watch HDTV or play console games.

gameguy6700

Number one makes no sense. All though I can understand what you are trying to say, you are contradicting yourself. On one hand you are saying the PS3 and Xbox 360 can not do 1080p and straight after you are saying they can.

The correct answer of course is they can, so having a 1080p TV will take advtange of that. But as you say, very few games are native 1080p.

Numver 2 is pretty wrong. Most broadcasts in the UK are 1080i. Thus having a 1080p TV, will make the broadcast look better than what it would if you were viewing on a 720p set.