5870...performance issues

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SmokieX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SmokieX
Member since 2005 • 2412 Posts

So I just built my first pc last week and had some problems with the 5870. Games run fine, but when anything is moving horizontally, it doesn't look smooth. It looks like it's jittering or something. Like there's some slight pauses. I tried lowering some setting's in the games but nothing helps. Is it also normal for every game to have screen tearing? It seems like playing in windowed mode minimizes it, but in fullscreen it's very noticeable. I know vsync helps but is it possible to not have screen tearing wothout vsync? Here are my specs if it helps

ASUS 5870

Intel i7 860

ASUS P755D EVO motherboard

Windows 7 premium 64-bit

Corsair Dominator 4gb DDR3

CellAnimation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 CellAnimation
Member since 2007 • 6116 Posts
Your games are just running too fast for your monitor. Enable v-sync/triple buffering or deal with it. :)
wklzip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 wklzip
Member since 2005 • 13925 Posts
Your games are just running too fast for your monitor. Enable v-sync/triple buffering or deal with it. :)CellAnimation
I can interpret: "Get a bigger monitor" :P
SmokieX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SmokieX

I guess I'll leave vsync on then for my games. But can you guys explain why movement doesn't feel smooth when I'm gaming?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 29121994
Member since 2008 • 1166 Posts

I guess I'll leave vsync on then for my games. But can you guys explain why movement doesn't feel smooth when I'm gaming?

SmokieX
If i were you, i'd just get used to screen tearing as i have because it can make a lot of games lose a fair bit of performance, also it might just be that you're constantly looking for lag in your games which is why it might seem that way. I had similar suspicions when running games until i ran fraps and saw that i was getting normal frame rates.
CellAnimation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 CellAnimation
Member since 2007 • 6116 Posts
[QUOTE="CellAnimation"]Your games are just running too fast for your monitor. Enable v-sync/triple buffering or deal with it. :)wklzip
I can interpret: "Get a bigger monitor" :P

Fair call... do this...
SmokieX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SmokieX

[QUOTE="SmokieX"]

If i were you, i'd just get used to screen tearing as i have because it can make a lot of games lose a fair bit of performance, also it might just be that you're constantly looking for lag in your games which is why it might seem that way. I had similar suspicions when running games until i ran fraps and saw that i was getting normal frame rates.

I forgot to metion that I also used fraps and the fps were consistent. It's just not smooth when I'm moving the mouse around.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 29121994
Member since 2008 • 1166 Posts

[QUOTE="29121994"][QUOTE="SmokieX"]

SmokieX

I forgot to metion that I also used fraps and the fps were consistent. It's just not smooth when I'm moving the mouse around.

What games are you playing? With a rig like yours you should be able to run just about anything out there. I can run just about any game on the highest settings with my 5870, at very decent frame rates. What sort of fps are you getting from which games? I'd make the microstuttering call now if you had a dual gpu graphics card but games shouldn't lag for you like that. I also move the mouse around sometimes to see if games are lagging and a lot of the time i can pick up on when it's lagging but that was only before i upgraded my graphics card.
superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts
You want your refresh rate and framerate the same at all times. Without VSync enabled, several images will be forced onto your screen at once, which is what screen tearing actually is...
Chris_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#10 Chris_53
Member since 2004 • 5513 Posts

SmokieX
I thought this exact same thing when I got myself back into PC gaming. I couldnt understand why there was a faint jitter whenever i move around. I can assure you its perfectly normal and you will proberbly just get used to it over time, like i did. As for screen tearing, that is also a very common issue which can only be avoided by enabling V-Sync which i only reccomend if your fps is very high as it is, or you are playing games which take place in dark enviroments with a lot of lighting effects. Dead Space, Bioshock and FEAR to name a few.