urbangamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 urbangamez
Member since 2010 • 3511 Posts

anybody playing games and watching movies with these new tech?

is there a great improvement, do games look better with it on or off, the few that have it, do movies look great the few that have it or it just the same.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

Isnt this an OT question?

Anyways, upscaled 4k and HDR look awesome, but more so the HDR bit, 4k is meh.

joseph_mach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 joseph_mach
Member since 2003 • 3898 Posts

Of the two, HDR is the biggest improvement by my eyes. My main monitor has a resolution of 3440x1440, while I also have a Samsung 9500 series downstairs (4K/HDR) that I occasionally lug my heavy case down to game on. Watching movies at 4K w/HDR (for those that offer it) is really great and both technologies add quite a bit of value to the movie experience. For gaming however, I by far enjoy the 21:9 aspect ratio of my ultrawide monitor and higher refresh rate over playing games at 4K. Sure, it looks a little better, but I think HDR, higher refresh rates (120hz+), ultrawide displays (personal opinion) bring far more to the gaming experience than the pixel jump to 4K does. Especially with technologies like DSR from Nvidia that clean up graphics to a near 4K look on lower resolution screens.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

i don't have an hdr capable tv so i can't say.There are no decent hdr monitors either.

There is the samsung CHG70 is guess but it doesn't have the right amount of brightness for it.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58270 Posts

is HDR new'ish? I am having a tough timing finding a lot of moderate-sized monitors (like 20-30 inch) with that tech on it.

Really don't need a 35" screen three feet from me. Or maybe I do?

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6  Edited By skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

I have only seen screen shots of HDR and it just looks like the colour vibrant is increased. Is that what it does as I have this in NVidia control panel called digital vibrance.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7701 Posts

I do have HDR tv and while I much enjoy watching Netflix and stuff with it, I still rather game on 1440p 144hz monitor even tho it's not HDR

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GTR12

@mrbojangles25 said:

is HDR new'ish? I am having a tough timing finding a lot of moderate-sized monitors (like 20-30 inch) with that tech on it.

Really don't need a 35" screen three feet from me. Or maybe I do?

HDR monitors don't exist, and I'm not counting that 1 monitor...

@skipper847 said:

I have only seen screen shots of HDR and it just looks like the colour vibrant is increased. Is that what it does as I have this in NVidia control panel called digital vibrance.

Nope, not even close.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7701 Posts

@skipper847 said:

You can't really demo HDR footage on non HDR display, the comparison shots are just mocups, you need a HDR display and then toggle it on and off to see the real difference

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

I have two 4k Tvs and a 4k monitor, one of the Tvs has HDR. HDR does make a huge difference. I know because I watched some episodes from the same Netflix HDR series on both Tvs and the colors look so much better on the TV with HDR despite the new HDR Tv costing a fifth of what I paid for the "old" 4k Tv.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SaintSatan
Member since 2003 • 1986 Posts

@urbangamez said:

anybody playing games and watching movies with these new tech?

is there a great improvement, do games look better with it on or off, the few that have it, do movies look great the few that have it or it just the same.

HDR is a massive improvement. 4K is an improvement but not as much as HDR is.

HDR off vs HDR on. Look at the clouds, mountains, and background scenery...

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#12  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17795 Posts

@saintsatan: Any changes that you are noticing through a photo can be replicated on an SDR display by tweaking the game. The real benefits of HDR can only be seen on an HDR display.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SaintSatan

@BassMan said:

@saintsatan: Any changes that you are noticing through a photo can be replicated on an SDR display by tweaking the game. The real benefits of HDR can only be seen on an HDR display.

You can still clearly see huge differences.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#14  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17795 Posts

@saintsatan said:
@BassMan said:

You can still clearly see huge differences.

Yes, you can see the differences. However, it is still an SDR photo that is being displayed on an SDR display. So, you can tweak the SDR version of the game to match the look of the image on the right. The camera is not capturing the true benefits of HDR that you would be seeing in person.

Black96Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Black96Z
Member since 2007 • 954 Posts

@saintsatan: i have looked at screen shots before threw google searches, and i will say that your is one of the better examples. Thanks for that image.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SaintSatan

@Black96Z said:

@saintsatan: i have looked at screen shots before threw google searches, and i will say that your is one of the better examples. Thanks for that image.

There's a lot of fake images but they still do a great job of showing what the difference is like. This image is pretty spot on of what HDR does.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GTR12

@Black96Z said:

You cant look at HDR content on a non-HDR display, even comparison images.

Its like watching HD content on a SD display, you wouldn't notice the differences.

Black96Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Black96Z

@GTR12: s8+ supports hdr

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SaintSatan

@GTR12 said:
@Black96Z said:

Its like watching HD content on a SD display, you wouldn't notice the differences.

That's not true at all, see above. There is a clear difference between HDR off and on. Yeah it's true you can't "see" HDR on a non HDR screen, that's insanely obvious. You can however see a massive difference in comparison images.

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 demi0227_basic
Member since 2002 • 1940 Posts

@saintsatan said:
@GTR12 said:
@Black96Z said:

That's not true at all, see above. There is a clear difference between HDR off and on. Yeah it's true you can't "see" HDR on a non HDR screen, that's insanely obvious. You can however see a massive difference in comparison images.

You aren't getting it. You see a difference between the 2 pictures, sure. But you aren't getting to see what hdr looks like still.

It's just, as described above, like comparing a 4k image with a 1080p, but doing that on just a 1080p image. You won't see the 4k image...in essence, those comparisons above don't mean anything if they weren't coded hdr comparisons, viewed on an hdr screen. That's the only way to actually see the difference between hdr and not. HDR is a huge improvement in image quality. Looking at comparisons on a regular screen just doesn't work.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 GTR12

@demi0227_basic: Cant compare resolutions, as increasing resolution can remove jagginess, leading to a better image.

Eg; DSR

@Black96Z said:

@GTR12: s8+ supports hdr

So what? Have you got another s8+ side-by-side with HDR disabled?

I have a non-HDR display and I can see a difference, that means the images are shit and not a true representation.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SaintSatan

@demi0227_basic said:
@saintsatan said:
@GTR12 said:
@Black96Z said:

You aren't getting it. You see a difference between the 2 pictures, sure. But you aren't getting to see what hdr looks like still.

That's literally what I just said.

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 demi0227_basic

@saintsatan said:
@demi0227_basic said:
@saintsatan said:
@GTR12 said:
@Black96Z said:

What we are saying is that there is NO USE in the comparison images on a regular screen. Sure...there's a difference. But to what end? It doesn't show you the difference in hdr or not. See?

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SaintSatan
@demi0227_basic said:
@saintsatan said:
@demi0227_basic said:
@saintsatan said:

Sure...there's a difference. But to what end?

A massive difference. I've been through this like 10x already. I'll post it again.

HDR off vs HDR on

As you can see there are huge differences between HDR off vs HDR on. You need an HDR screen to see HDR (OBVIOUSLY) but you do not need an HDR screen to see most of the differences between them, like thee above image. I don't even know wth you're trying to argue anymore. Bottom line is you can see some major differences in comparison images, it looks like like low settings vs ultra settings.

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 demi0227_basic

@saintsatan said:
@demi0227_basic said:
@saintsatan said:
@demi0227_basic said:
@saintsatan said:

Sure...there's a difference. But to what end?

A massive difference. I've been through this like 10x already. I'll post it again.

HDR off vs HDR on

As you can see there are huge differences between HDR off vs HDR on. You need an HDR screen to see HDR (OBVIOUSLY) but you do not need an HDR screen to see most of the differences between them, like thee above image. I don't even know wth you're trying to argue anymore. Bottom line is you can see some major differences in comparison images, it looks like like low settings vs ultra settings.

I see you still aren't getting what we are saying. You could post a picture of an apple, and an orange, and it still won't help anybody understand the difference hdr makes if they see the pics on a regular screen. You can tell there's a difference in contrast between these pictures, but that still doesn't help understand the difference between hdr and regular monitors. It just shows there is a different contrast between the 2 pictures.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SaintSatan

@demi0227_basic: "that still doesn't help understand the difference between hdr and regular monitors."

I can understand the difference HDR makes by looking at the above picture. Maybe it's just you.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 GTR12

@demi0227_basic: He just doesn't get it, give up like the rest of us did.

Black96Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Black96Z

@GTR12: i know that it isnt a real hdr being shown. It is just that them pics gives a person a small understanding that hdr can make a huge difference...as long as you have a display that can properly display hdr.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 GTR12

@Black96Z said:

@GTR12: i know that it isnt a real hdr being shown. It is just that them pics gives a person a small understanding that hdr can make a huge difference...as long as you have a display that can properly display hdr.

Not really, people then think "oh its just a small increase in detail, meh whatever"

Then they get discouraged and don't bother, look at widescreen tech, people in Japan loved it, but the US was one of the last few countries to get-on-board and embrace it, HDR wont mature quickly if people don't actually see the difference.

Black96Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Black96Z

@GTR12: i am wanting to upgrade my tv as i am no longer happy with the black levels of my tv. I have Resident Evil 7 to thank for that. Im just waiting on confirmation if tv's will have freesync 2 next year.

Andrewtst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#31 Andrewtst
Member since 2017 • 8 Posts

For me 4K just overkill, HDR is a nice add-on and welcome.