4K HDR 144HZ + G-Sync displays available!

Artzcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Edited By Artzcop
Member since 2018 • 5 Posts

It's been more than two years since we heard about it: 4K / HDR / 144Hz / G-Sync screens and it seems that things finally end up moving! Indeed Nvidia had announced a first model release in April 2018 and the firm has kept its word! That makes the gaming monitors http://www.gamingreporter.com/a-beginners-guide-to-computer-monitors/ market really competitive.

TWO NEW MODELS AVAILABLE

We could see the arrival on the sites of specialized sale the first models: the Asus Rog Swift PG27UQ which offers the 144Hz in 4K, G-Sync proposed at the price of $2500 approximately, as to say that it is not really given for the moment! Acer is not left with a model of the same level, the Acer X27, also offered around $2500. So here we are, the first screen 4K 144Hz G-Sync are ready, now wait to see the first reviews to get an idea of what it's worth.

NOT SUPER SIMPLE TO RUN ..

As at the arrival of the 4K, few configs are able to run games in 4K / HDR / 144Hz / G-sync and these models seem for the moment reserved for a rather wealthy clientele. It will probably need a config with GTX 1080Ti SLI to rotate all this fluidly. But with the right configuration, it must be a real pleasure, we wait for the first videos on the Witcher or GTA with impatience!

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58155 Posts

Would love to hear a practical explanation of how a computer monitor can cost 2500 dollars, while a TV with roughly the same specs except a screen four times the size in viewable area can cost 1000 dollars.

I've been waiting patiently for A.) more HDR and 4K options and B.) price to drop, but just when we start to get more options the prices seem to go up.

WIth that said, I am looking for a 4K + HDR monitor, is it a good time to buy? Or will they have more in a few months?

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#2  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17763 Posts

@mrbojangles25: They are going to be expensive for a while and I don't see the prices dropping much until HDMI 2.1 TVs start coming out with VRR and high refresh rate. I was waiting for the 3440x1440/200hz HDR G-Sync monitors, but then I gave up after seeing the price of the 4K/144hz HDR G-Sync. I know the one I want will be a ripoff too. So, I just bought the Alienware AW3418DW 3440x1440/120hz G-Sync when it was on sale. No HDR, but otherwise an amazing monitor and for less than half the price of the HDR one that will be coming out.

Honestly, HDR is the lowest priority for me on a monitor. High refresh rate, ultra wide and G-Sync are more important. Also, I have HDR on my 4K OLED TV which I have my PC hooked up to as well. So, I can still play in HDR when I want.

Another thing to consider... This first gen of HDR monitors only support HDR10. They do not support dynamic HDR like Dolby Vision or HDR10+. So, they are going to be obsolete soon and are definitely not worth the early adopter premium.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7693 Posts

While these monitors have 1.4 displayport, they do not support DSC, so you'll either get 4k 60hz 10bit or 4k 120hz 8bit. While we have gpu's that support both we still don't have a monitor capable of both high refresh rates and 10bit color space