4GB or 6GB of RAM for my new PC?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

halo2_4_pc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 halo2_4_pc
Member since 2005 • 1561 Posts

Ok, I have most of my PC parts now. I currently have a AMD Phantom II X4 965 Processor, an ASUS AM3 Mobo with support up to 16GB of DDR3 1800 RAM, Sony CD/DVD Burner, an OCZ 550w power supply, and an Antec ATX case. I'm also buying an ATI Radeon 5770 1GB Graphics card. I'm wondering if I should go with just 4GB of RAM of DDR3 1600 or get 6GB of DDR3 1600. Is it worth the cash to get the extra 2GB? How much will it affect game performance in games like Crysis?

fatcat13sep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 fatcat13sep
Member since 2007 • 1129 Posts

4 gb is enough plus ddr 3 ram prices are supposed to go down so when you do need the extra ram then do it

brandontwb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 brandontwb
Member since 2008 • 4325 Posts
If you're gaming and doing other normal tasks you wont need over 4GB. I have to actually try to get over 3GB by opening programs and having a game running.
polarwrath11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 polarwrath11
Member since 2006 • 1676 Posts
If you're gaming and doing other normal tasks you wont need over 4GB. I have to actually try to get over 3GB by opening programs and having a game running.brandontwb
If you have the windows 7 gadget showing CPU/RAM usage you might've noticed during certain things like installations or copying big files the RAM usage goes up to ~95% - but this irrelevent to you TC as in big copying of files etc RAM usage will always be as high as poss. (could be wrong) so go for 4GB DDR3 and add more later if you see the need.
polarwrath11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 polarwrath11
Member since 2006 • 1676 Posts
[QUOTE="brandontwb"]If you're gaming and doing other normal tasks you wont need over 4GB. I have to actually try to get over 3GB by opening programs and having a game running.polarwrath11
If you have the windows 7 gadget showing CPU/RAM usage you might've noticed during certain things like installations or copying big files the RAM usage goes up to ~95% - but this irrelevent to you TC as in big copying of files etc RAM usage will always be as high as poss. (could be wrong) so go for 4GB DDR3 and add more later if you see the need.

Wait I forgot something, doesn't ddr3 ram allow triple channel operation meaning three sticks of ram would be optimal (ie. 6GB)?
fatcat13sep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 fatcat13sep
Member since 2007 • 1129 Posts

[QUOTE="polarwrath11"][QUOTE="brandontwb"]If you're gaming and doing other normal tasks you wont need over 4GB. I have to actually try to get over 3GB by opening programs and having a game running.polarwrath11

Wait I forgot something, doesn't ddr3 ram allow triple channel operation meaning three sticks of ram would be optimal (ie. 6GB)?

yes and no that depends on the cpu and only the i7 supports triple channel right now if im correct

Spartan8907

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Spartan8907
Member since 2006 • 3731 Posts

[QUOTE="polarwrath11"][QUOTE="polarwrath11"] If you have the windows 7 gadget showing CPU/RAM usage you might've noticed during certain things like installations or copying big files the RAM usage goes up to ~95% - but this irrelevent to you TC as in big copying of files etc RAM usage will always be as high as poss. (could be wrong) so go for 4GB DDR3 and add more later if you see the need.fatcat13sep

yes and no that depends on the cpu and only the i7 supports triple channel right now if im correct

I believe that is correct. As far as I know, no AMD platform supports triple channel at the moment.