42c while playing Graphic card 670GTX?.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by skipper847 (6859 posts) -

Hi my graphic card is a MSI gtx 670 and i have downloaded MSI afterburner. My graphic driver for the card is the latest one from nvidia which is 314.07. The thing is on older drivers when i ran MSI afterburner while in game and played the game for abit and went back to desktop to check the temp of the card on Afterburner it was at 72c while playing on average. Also the fan speed made a louder noise while playing then just on the desk top. Now i play the game with these drivers and the average temp while playing is 42c when i go back to check and the noise of the fan does not get louder or quiter like it did be for. While just on the desk top and looking at the internet the temp is at 31c or 32c same as be for it just the game whats alot cooler and alot less noisy. Im not complaining but i was wondering if its meant to be like this with this driver or my card is on its way out and just wanted to make sure?. Ive felt my case and the case is still very cool. Thanks for any advice.

#2 Posted by ferret-gamer (17476 posts) -

Are you playing games that will stress the 670 enough to heat it up? It is unlikely the stock fan profile will kick up the speed if the card is only getting to 42c.

If it is the same game/settings that got the card to 72c before, and now the game is getting worse performance, then you might want to check that the 670 is switching to 3d clocks correctly.

If you feel that the card is reporting incorrect temps and want to speed up the fan yourself, you can set up your own profile in a program like afterburner. You can also try reinstalling or rolling back the drivers to see if it reverts to the old temps.

#3 Posted by Tabris91 (7779 posts) -

What game?

#4 Posted by NFJSupreme (6468 posts) -

72C is a decent temp while on load.   What is your room temperature normally at.  I know when it gets hot in my house the card runs a little hotter.

#5 Posted by skipper847 (6859 posts) -

All games but most recent dead space 3 with all graphics set to max. My room temp at the moment average 20.7 ( i have a barometer). Tomorrow morning i will go back to old drivers and see if its the new drivers. But it happens with other games ive played recent too like just cause 2 and it still same temp. Nothing is stock in my PC its all custom built.

CPU0104 Intel i7-3770K MBD0355 Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H RAM0336 Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 8GB Kit VGA0616 MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 HDD1436 Sandisk Extreme 120GB HDD1317 Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200Rpm CAS5287 Antec P183 CDR0134 LG GH24NS90 CLR1058 Noctua NH-D14 Cooler PSU0341 Antec High Current Pro HCP-850 SFT0066 Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

#6 Posted by skipper847 (6859 posts) -

Like you say its a decent temp is 72c when playing games but why should it not get past 42c now which is 30c difference and only 10c above when just on desk top?.

#7 Posted by valium88 (4455 posts) -

72C is a decent temp while on load.   What is your room temperature normally at.  I know when it gets hot in my house the card runs a little hotter.

NFJSupreme
Excactly, might wanna open those windows and get some fresh air in there now and then, the temperature in the room is vital.
#8 Posted by Elann2008 (33028 posts) -
[QUOTE="NFJSupreme"]

valium88
Excactly, might wanna open those windows and get some fresh air in there now and then, the temperature in the room is vital.

It definitely does help, but it's not a limiting factor. Unless you live somewhere extremely hot. I'm in Los Angeles and it can get hot, yet it doesn't make much of a difference in CPU and GPU temps, idle and load.
#9 Posted by kraken2109 (13271 posts) -

Are the games still running fine?

#10 Posted by skipper847 (6859 posts) -

Yes if not better. Like i said i was not complaining that it was cooler i just wanted to no why. This is since updating to these new drivers since the 310.90 WHQL drivers.

#11 Posted by adamosmaki (10545 posts) -

Like you say its a decent temp is 72c when playing games but why should it not get past 42c now which is 30c difference and only 10c above when just on desk top?.

skipper847
maybe you activated Vsync on games options ( which limits you to 60fps unless you have a 120hz screen ) . If you did that a gtx670 will be able to play say Dead space 3 without been stressed a bit and i wouldnt be surprised at the 42C Or it might just been faulty reading from Msi Afterburner ( download the latest version ). Just benchmark your GPU with the driver currently installed either with unigine Valley or 3dmark11 and compare your scores with other 670's . If it performs as it should then there is nothing to worry. If not then downgrade the drivers
#12 Posted by kraken2109 (13271 posts) -

As said above, it could be something to do with afterburner, have you check other temp reading software?

#13 Posted by Tabris91 (7779 posts) -
I'm guessing you enabled v-sync.
#14 Posted by skipper847 (6859 posts) -

Hi. Thanks for your help and it did turn out to be vsync what was enabled so i turned it off in game and all of a sudden i heard my graphic card spin up. Checked my temps and they went from average 42c to around 72c to 92c. So i think i will leave vsync on for most games so i dont get the noise from graphic card and it dont heat up too much. Thanks for your help and i didnt realize that vsynce off too that much power.