3DO Blaster-like Console on PC

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I was reminiscing about the 3DO Blaster earlier. It occurred to me that perhaps, the product was too far ahead of its time plus, the 3DO was the wrong platform to focus on. If Sony, MS, or Nintendo ever released a similar product (based on their respective consoles) that used PC graphics resolutions and capabilities, would you buy one? I would. I'd probably assemble a brand new PC with a full-sized motherboard, a full complement of PCI slots, the beefiest PSU I can find, and a case with enough bays to acommodate each drive.

3do_blaster_kit.jpg

3doblaster1.jpg

Crocodile_Key

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Crocodile_Key
Member since 2003 • 224 Posts

Yes, that would be awesome!

MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#3 MyopicCanadian
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts

Wow, I never even knew something like that existed. There were a bunch of 3DO games I was interested in at the time, but I didn't want to shell out any money for a 3DO. Namely PO'ed, Crash n Burn, Dragon's Lair II. Dunno how I missed this :D

Avatar image for charmingcharlie
charmingcharlie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 charmingcharlie
Member since 2006 • 1244 Posts

Unfortunately you are never likely to see anything like that ever again. The 3DO wasn't so much a "console" as a standard set of specifications similar to the way the PC is a "standard" . Anyone could make a 3DO console (and pay a royalty to the 3DO consortium). It was a great idea, the idea being because several manufacturers could make the console there would be competition and cheaper prices. Naturally that never happend.

I really doubt you would ever see Microsoft or Sony allowing this to happen with any of their products. The whole console environment is now about creating an experience you can't get on anyone else's hardware this would be undermined if people could just plug a card into their PC.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jun_aka_pekto

Unfortunately you are never likely to see anything like that ever again. The 3DO wasn't so much a "console" as a standard set of specifications similar to the way the PC is a "standard" . Anyone could make a 3DO console (and pay a royalty to the 3DO consortium). It was a great idea, the idea being because several manufacturers could make the console there would be competition and cheaper prices. Naturally that never happend.

I really doubt you would ever see Microsoft or Sony allowing this to happen with any of their products. The whole console environment is now about creating an experience you can't get on anyone else's hardware this would be undermined if people could just plug a card into their PC.

charmingcharlie

It'd be nice though. An expansion card/custom optical drive combo probably wouldn't steal much marketshare from dedicated console hardware since there's still the rest of the gaming PC to consider. We're also considered relatively big spenders on hardware. I know I'd fork out the dough if Sony had a "PS3-Blaster."

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jun_aka_pekto

Wow, I never even knew something like that existed. There were a bunch of 3DO games I was interested in at the time, but I didn't want to shell out any money for a 3DO. Namely PO'ed, Crash n Burn, Dragon's Lair II. Dunno how I missed this :D

MyopicCanadian

This was back in the mid-90's. Unfortunately, the PSX kind of put an end to it.