3 New DX10 PCI GPU's Coming June 10th, 2008.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

u2kforever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 u2kforever
Member since 2007 • 51 Posts

If you didn't know, Albatron is releasing 3 new video cards for the PCI bus.

Albatron figured this out, and brought out some Geforce 8 based (admittedly low end) video cards.

• 8400GS
  • 8500GT
  • 8600GT

And they all have HDMI outputs... handy for HTPC's, no?

Albatron will be announcing them next week at Computex.

Source

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7548&Itemid=34

New PCI cards

NEW PCI Cards

DX10 PCI

I am buying one of them , because all i have is PCI slots. And right now i am using a BFG Geforce 6200 OC EDITION 256MB , which is great, but its always nice to have something more powerful.

u2kforever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 u2kforever

And btw if you happen to lived in the UK, you can buy the already release Sparkle 8500 GT in PCI format.

GuitarFreak2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 GuitarFreak2
Member since 2006 • 670 Posts
PCI? Wow, that's surprising. Good for HTPCs and low end PCs.
u2kforever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 u2kforever

Don't forget there is a Diamond Stealth 2400 HD pro and Visiontek 2400 PRO and PowerColor 2400 HD PRO card out already. I had the Visiontek one, and to me its not very good.

prowler666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 prowler666
Member since 2003 • 860 Posts

hmmm pretty useless i might say. all the new mobos, even the cheapest, have PCI-E X16. and the older ones have AGP. and there's no point sticking either one of those to any stone-age rigs.

edit: wait... you said you had only PCI slots? what mobo is that? what CPU socket does it have?

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23832 Posts
Believe it or not many cheap,small Dells,Gateways,etc use motherboards that dont have PCI-E or AGP.
Stevendawg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Stevendawg
Member since 2006 • 500 Posts
Believe it or not many cheap,small Dells,Gateways,etc use motherboards that dont have PCI-E or AGP. 04dcarraher
Yea... You wanna make an apg, go for it. But pci... comon!
wklzip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 wklzip
Member since 2005 • 13925 Posts
It would be fun if the PCI cards support Tri SLI/Quad Xfire :P
u2kforever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 u2kforever

I am using a intel III, 600mhz with a socket 370

prowler666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 prowler666

u2kforever

exactly what i meant. you don't do ANYTHING with ANY of those cards.

just hold on to your 6200 until you build a whole new system.

ct1615

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11 ct1615
Member since 2004 • 733 Posts

what kind of stupid comment is that?

obviosuly those cards are ment for LCD monitor connection and DVD playing on older/bargain bin PC's, not for gaming or gamers

like the poster said all he has is PCI slots so good for him.

This may come as a shock to you but not everyone with a PC wants to max out Crysis....try to breathe slowly now

prowler666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 prowler666

what kind of stupid comment is that?

obviosuly those cards are ment for LCD monitor connection and DVD playing on older/bargain bin PC's, not for gaming or gamers

like the poster said all he has is PCI slots so good for him.

This may come as a shock to you but not everyone with a PC wants to max out Crysis....try to breathe slowly now

ct1615

incase you didn't read, he already has BFG 6200. it plays DVDs.

Angry_Bosmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 Angry_Bosmer
Member since 2008 • 1432 Posts

They should make some program to have those cards uses with your main one. That way you can just throw one in one of your many PCI slots and have the PCI one handle basic things. I don't know it's hard to find a use to them. I mean most old computers have AGP and Shappire still makes them. The last PCI PCs I seen can't open internet explorer without lagging for 2 days.

Avatar image for ReturnOfShinobi
ReturnOfShinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ReturnOfShinobi
Member since 2008 • 880 Posts
Thats awesome!
opamando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 opamando
Member since 2007 • 1268 Posts

They should make some program to have those cards uses with your main one. That way you can just throw one in one of your many PCI slots and have the PCI one handle basic things. I don't know it's hard to find a use to them. I mean most old computers have AGP and Shappire still makes them. The last PCI PCs I seen can't open internet explorer without lagging for 2 days.

Angry_Bosmer

What in the world are you trying to say?????????

yoyo462001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 yoyo462001
Member since 2005 • 7535 Posts
Believe it or not many cheap,small Dells,Gateways,etc use motherboards that dont have PCI-E or AGP. 04dcarraher
is necessary for those big fans though, this is a very dum move to release PCI versions of those cards, if someone is buying a low end mobo with no PCI-E 16x then its likely that they wont be gaming on it, ill be surprised if they turnover a profit from this.
Angry_Bosmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Angry_Bosmer
[QUOTE="Angry_Bosmer"]

opamando

I'm trying to say that these cards should be used as auxiliary cards. Any mobo has plenty of spare PCI slots (mine has five). You can just throw a 8600 in there and that card could act in a sort of SLI or like a sound card (taking wieght off the main card) .

Angry_Bosmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Angry_Bosmer

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"]Believe it or not many cheap,small Dells,Gateways,etc use motherboards that dont have PCI-E or AGP. yoyo462001
is necessary for those big fans though, this is a very dum move to release PCI versions of those cards, if someone is buying a low end mobo with no PCI-E 16x then its likely that they wont be gaming on it, ill be surprised if they turnover a profit from this.

It's to make it look cool I guess. Since there's little noob bait ram it has to have some other form of noob bait.

opamando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 opamando
[QUOTE="opamando"][QUOTE="Angry_Bosmer"]

Angry_Bosmer

I'm trying to say that these cards should be used as auxiliary cards. Any mobo has plenty of spare PCI slots (mine has five). You can just throw a 8600 in there and that card could act in a sort of SLI or like a sound card.

You do realize SLI is only on PCIe right? And there is no way to make a GPU act like a sound card. :lol:

opamando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 opamando
[QUOTE="opamando"][QUOTE="Angry_Bosmer"][QUOTE="opamando"][QUOTE="Angry_Bosmer"]

Angry_Bosmer

I'm trying to say that these cards should be used as auxiliary cards. Any mobo has plenty of spare PCI slots (mine has five). You can just throw a 8600 in there and that card could act in a sort of SLI or like a sound card.

You do realize SLI is only on PCIe right? And there is no way to make a GPU act like a sound card. :lol:

Are you some kind of idiot, everything you say is SO stupid!

I ment that the card could work WITH the main in a SORT of SLI, and easy FPSs LIKE a sound card! I never said in SLI!

:lol: I'm the idiot, huh?, OK :roll:

The card CANNOT work with a main GPU, that IS what SLI is, duh. You can have multiple GPU's without SLI, but they each work individually, for multiple displays and the like. Please do some research before posting this junk.

"card could act in a sort of SLI or like a sound card." Sounds to me like you are saying it can be used as a sound card.

If everything I say is stupid, I don't know how to describe what you are saying.

Angry_Bosmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Angry_Bosmer
[QUOTE="Angry_Bosmer"][QUOTE="opamando"][QUOTE="Angry_Bosmer"][QUOTE="opamando"][QUOTE="Angry_Bosmer"]

opamando

Are you some kind of idiot, everything you say is SO stupid!

I ment that the card could work WITH the main in a SORT of SLI, and easy FPSs LIKE a sound card! I never said in SLI!

:lol: I'm the idiot, huh?, OK :roll:

The card CANNOT work with a main GPU, that IS what SLI is, duh. You can have multiple GPU's without SLI, but they each work individually, for multiple displays and the like. Please do some research before posting this junk.

"card could act in a sort of SLI or like a sound card." Sounds to me like you are saying it can be used as a sound card.

If everything I say is stupid, I don't know how to describe what you are saying.

I said they should invent a program that can do that! I know it doesn't exist.

Angry_Bosmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Angry_Bosmer
[QUOTE="Angry_Bosmer"]

I said they should invent a program that can do that! I know it doesn't exist.

opamando

Ok dude, it obvious that you are clueless.

It's obvious your not open minded and don't like other people's ideas. If your not happy with what I say SHUT UP! and stop posting on this topic.

Btw what about those comments on my PC guide? 'it's the worst ever' 'you go read some tec sheets'. I sent you a two messages asking what was wrong? When it came time to proove what you said hum... you didn't know what to say right?

teddyrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 teddyrob
Member since 2004 • 4557 Posts
I used to have 2xVoodoo2 SLI on the PCI slots.
Angry_Bosmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Angry_Bosmer

I used to have 2xVoodoo2 SLI on the PCI slots. teddyrob

How SLI is nvidia.

teddyrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 teddyrob

Nvidia bought 3dfx who first made SLI on the standard PCI slots. Although Nvidia SLI is different. They got that idea from 3dfx, the company that brought us Voodoo cards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voodoo2

The Voodoo2 introduced scan-Line Interleave (SLI) capability to the consumer PC market. In SLI mode, two Voodoo2 boards were installed in a PC and ran in parallel, with each unit drawing half the lines of the display. Voodoo2 SLI not only doubled rendering throughput, it also increased the total framebuffer memory, and thus the maximum supported screen resolution increased to a then-impressive 1024×768. However, texture memory was not doubled because each card needed to duplicate the scene data. The original Voodoo Graphics also had SLI capability, but it was only used in the arcade and professional markets. SLI mode was not available for AGP-based Voodoo2 cards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NVIDIA_SLI

opamando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 opamando

I used to have 2xVoodoo2 SLI on the PCI slots. teddyrob

While I don't understand all I know in this area, the SLI (Scan-Line Interleave) back then is not the same as SLI (Scalable Link Interface) now.

Angry_Bosmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Angry_Bosmer

Nvidia bought 3dfx who first made SLI on the standard PCI slots. Although Nvidia SLI is different. They got that idea from 3dfx, the company that brought us Voodoo cards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voodoo2

The Voodoo2 introduced scan-Line Interleave (SLI) capability to the consumer PC market. In SLI mode, two Voodoo2 boards were installed in a PC and ran in parallel, with each unit drawing half the lines of the display. Voodoo2 SLI not only doubled rendering throughput, it also increased the total framebuffer memory, and thus the maximum supported screen resolution increased to a then-impressive 1024×768. However, texture memory was not doubled because each card needed to duplicate the scene data. The original Voodoo Graphics also had SLI capability, but it was only used in the arcade and professional markets. SLI mode was not available for AGP-based Voodoo2 cards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NVIDIA_SLI

teddyrob

Sweet, thats cool. :D

teddyrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 teddyrob

[QUOTE="teddyrob"] I used to have 2xVoodoo2 SLI on the PCI slots. opamando

While I don't understand all I know in this area, the SLI (Scan-Line Interleave) back then is not the same as SLI (Scalable Link Interface) now.

Hey maybe if you didn't cut my post up you would have read where I said "Although Nvidia SLI is different". Even so some of it is still the same basic idea.

opamando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 opamando
[QUOTE="opamando"]

[QUOTE="teddyrob"] I used to have 2xVoodoo2 SLI on the PCI slots. teddyrob

Hey maybe if you didn't cut my post up you would have read where I said "Although Nvidia SLI is different". Even so some of it is still the same basic idea.

I quoted your entire post from 4:25 PM. What did I cut up? That is exactly what you said.

But it still stand that that SLI is not that same as current SLI.

jmknoodles93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 jmknoodles93
Member since 2008 • 57 Posts

It would be fun if the PCI cards support Tri SLI/Quad Xfire :Pwklzip

Haha true that my friend. True that :D

Antraxspore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#33 Antraxspore
Member since 2005 • 768 Posts

[QUOTE="wklzip"]It would be fun if the PCI cards support Tri SLI/Quad Xfire :Pjmknoodles93

Haha true that my friend. True that :D

I smell some insane alien technology .....

Avatar image for ReturnOfShinobi
ReturnOfShinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ReturnOfShinobi
Member since 2008 • 880 Posts

[QUOTE="teddyrob"] I used to have 2xVoodoo2 SLI on the PCI slots. Angry_Bosmer

How SLI is nvidia.

No SLI was originally 3DFX tech, then nVidia released their own called SLi
karasill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 karasill
Member since 2007 • 3155 Posts

u2kforever

Why would you waste your money buying a card that is really low end to begin with and put it on an ancient computer that will probably hold that videocard back? Your computer is barely powerful enough to play DVD movies.. I can't see any improvments happening if you bought any on of those cards. Save up $500 USD (256 pounds or 320 euro) and build an up to date computer. You'll be happy you did.

Sorry if I sound a little harsh, you would just be wasting your money buying a new videocard.

Angry_Bosmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Angry_Bosmer
In conclusion, we can all agree that these PCI cards will be pretty usless, they should of come out 4 years ago :lol: .
36O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37 36O
Member since 2006 • 823 Posts
Wow thats awesome for people who only have mobo's with PCI. Boy, if they would of released something like that a few years ago, I would of been really happy.
u2kforever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 u2kforever

http://www.albatron.com.tw/English/product/VGA/pro_detail.asp?rlink=Specification&no=247

2 More are coming soon!

jasper061992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 jasper061992
Member since 2006 • 1152 Posts
[QUOTE="opamando"][QUOTE="Angry_Bosmer"]

Angry_Bosmer

I'm trying to say that these cards should be used as auxiliary cards. Any mobo has plenty of spare PCI slots (mine has five). You can just throw a 8600 in there and that card could act in a sort of SLI or like a sound card (taking wieght off the main card) .

Impossible. You can't use an 8600GT as a relief sound card Offloading processes off the CPU. The cards are special propose for graphics and will be impossible to load sound prosessing onto them. It would require a general propose chip (CPU) or obviously a sound card. Secondly, the PCI interface lacks the bandwidth (or marketing reasons) to support SLI.

EDIT.

But wow, a 8600GT using Classic PCI? Not sure how well this will sell considering the most cheapest mobos out today at least have AGP. It may be very useful for those that have old very cheap mobos still in use. Can also be useful for those that watch DVDs or very casual gaming.

covertgamer78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#40 covertgamer78
Member since 2005 • 1032 Posts
I think the main purpose of these cards is to cater to the niche market of PC consumers that have older PC's with PCI only slots, to help be more up to speed with modern applications without having to pay for a new rig altogether. I am not saying this is the same as a PCI-E 8600 GT, but will offer a far superior performance than any other current PCI GPU. Albatron 8600 GT is a great idea and I don't see anything wrong with making PCI GPU's still, just don't over produce these and please don't charge 2 to 3 times the price of the PCI-E version just because it is PCI and there aren't that many great cards for PCI. I want to see an 8800 GT and I think there is a market for these cards as long as the manufacturer is savy and knows what they are doing. This card is for those that want to play relatively recent games on a maxed out PCI slot mobo system without really getting top performance on the absolute latest and greatest.
ShaizanHgh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ShaizanHgh
Member since 2006 • 1022 Posts
I didnt chime in when this topic was first posted, however, you can take that 200mhz PII you have sittn in the basement and turn it into a Media PC using these PCI cards since it has a HDMI out. Would you want to, most likely not, but that option is open to you.