This topic is locked from further discussion.

blade55555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 blade55555
Member since 2005 • 1116 Posts
Anybody know a 24 inch monitor thats good and has HD support for no more then 400$?
Marfoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Marfoo
Member since 2004 • 6002 Posts
Sceptre X24WG Should be $339 on Newegg, looking to purchase it myself, here is the link They are a pretty good brand, lots of bang for your buck with this brand. I'm currently using the 20.1" Sceptre. No stuck or dead pixels, it will scale a 1920x1080 (1080p) and it's only a 1680x1050 resolution monitor. I'd imagine this one would be of the same quality, only the 24" model has a higher specs for contrast ratio, resolution, and response time. You may need to adjust it a bit out of the box, but it's capable.
blade55555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 blade55555
Ah thanks i'll have to buy that hopefully it gets cheaper soon that shipping and handlign is a lot :P.
Marfoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Marfoo
You're welcome, hope it works out for you (and for me as well).
kodai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 kodai
Member since 2003 • 924 Posts

Anybody know a 24 inch monitor thats good and has HD support for no more then 400$? blade55555

Are you asking about HD as in just resolution or HD as in the ability to use Blu-Ray via your computer. If it's just for the resolution then there are several good deals going and the one linked is not bad at all. You just missed a fantastic deal last week at office depot for $229 and $279 on a couple of great 24"ers.

If you're looking for blu-ray output (yeah and HD-DVD too but since it dead it doesnt matter) then you want a display that uses dual DVI connectors since only DVI and HDMI support HDCP. HDCP soes not work on VGA connectors (at the momment) and the Sceptre only has a single DVI and a VGA in place of the other DVI. If you can find one with an HDMI port, or dual DVI, or the very rare and new adaptor that actually called "DisplayPort" then you'll be fine on the HDCP/Blu-Ray thing.

blade55555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 blade55555
I jus twant 1080P high definition. it would be cool if it was Blu Ray but I know that would be way to much. But just high definition is all I know I want :p.
Marfoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Marfoo

[QUOTE="blade55555"]Anybody know a 24 inch monitor thats good and has HD support for no more then 400$? kodai

Are you asking about HD as in just resolution or HD as in the ability to use Blu-Ray via your computer. If it's just for the resolution then there are several good deals going and the one linked is not bad at all. You just missed a fantastic deal last week at office depot for $229 and $279 on a couple of great 24"ers.

If you're looking for blu-ray output (yeah and HD-DVD too but since it dead it doesnt matter) then you want a display that uses dual DVI connectors since only DVI and HDMI support HDCP. HDCP soes not work on VGA connectors (at the momment) and the Sceptre only has a single DVI and a VGA in place of the other DVI. If you can find one with an HDMI port, or dual DVI, or the very rare and new adaptor that actually called "DisplayPort" then you'll be fine on the HDCP/Blu-Ray thing.

The Sceptre monitor is HDCP compliant, just look at the product box on Newegg, it says HDCP on it. You should be fine playing any type of HD content through the monitory using DVI, HDMI adapter etc... Also why would he need dual link DVI?
blade55555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 blade55555
idk he'll tell us i hope ^^
kodai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 kodai

The Sceptre monitor is HDCP compliant, just look at the product box on Newegg, it says HDCP on it. You should be fine playing any type of HD content through the monitory using DVI, HDMI adapter etc... Also why would he need dual link DVI?Marfoo

No it's not. It has 1 DVI and 1VGA adaptor. HDCP require 2 DVI or HDMI or the new DisplayPort adaptor. HDCP does not work on VGA analog connecotrs without a special adaptor/converter. And if you read the specs of the Sceptre, it says (and I did a copy paste on this so it's not my words) " HDCP Support No "

But the OP has already said that HDCP is not of any concern so the Sceptre is a fine choice. It will still do 1080p resolution (1920x1200) and thats all he wants. As long as he doesnt want to use a PS3 (or future 360 with Blu-Ray drive support) for watching any movies with, then it should be fine. Otherwise hes back to looking for HDCP support. They will play games on it just fine at that res. They just wont play movies via Blu-Ray because Blu-Ray requires HDCP and this monitor wont do it.

As for the box saying it's HDCP, well unless it ships with a $50+ dollar adaptor for this, then its notHDCP complaint. It's own tech sheet says its not and there is no indication that it comes with said adaptor. Also it doesnt even bother to list HDCP at its own website. Its just a bad box that somebody should point out to them as its misleading.

blade55555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 blade55555
yea i dotn 'midn it not having high definition for movies as lon gas the res is :).
kodai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 kodai
Well, it will still display movies at 1920x1200. It just wont show HD-DVD and BluRay discs because they are protected with HDCP and this monitor is not HDCP complaint. If he tried, it would just show a black screen. The OP can get an adaptor to solve this problem if he wants in the future. It's just at an extra cost and is an external fix. Otherwise he will have to consider getting a dual DVI, single HDMI, or single DisplayPort based monitor for native HDCP support. Thats really about the crux of it.
Marfoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Marfoo
I didn't realize you need dual DVI, or an HDMI for HDCP compliance, I'd have to try it out on my 20.1" Sceptre to see for sure, but I don't have anything that requires it, maybe I'll have to borrow my brother's PS3 and try Blu-Ray playback.
Marfoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Marfoo

I found a review of the monitor, and at the bottom of the review, the author made a comment that IT IS in fact HDCP compliant. I know Sceptre may have left this out on their spec sheet, but it is on the box.

Also I've done some research on HDCP, inlcuding the official license and here is a quote

Products or Licensed Source Components in question implement DVI, HDMI, or any
combination thereof..

HDCP License

Lum_Yatsura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Lum_Yatsura
Member since 2004 • 506 Posts

There's a major fundamental difference in how the two consoles handle HDCP:

PS3 requires HDCP for any video and/or audio to be received from its HDMI port, regardless of content type or resolution. It is mandatory for the XMB and games.

Xbox 360 only requires HDCP for movies via HDMI. The menu or games will be fine at any resolution without HDCP

Matti21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Matti21
Member since 2006 • 232 Posts

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014173&Tpk=G2400WD

Great monitor for a low price. Has an HDMI input and supports full 1:1 pixel mapping which is a huge plus if you want to hook it up to an Xbox 360/PS3 aswell.

I've got mine hooked up to my PC and PS3 and it looks awesome.