212+ is de-throned, HR02 macho is the new price vs. perf. king!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

swehunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1 swehunt
Member since 2008 • 3637 Posts

So, have you folks seen the Thermalright HR-02 macho?

It's a enourmus aircooler with some great feutures.

6 copper heatpipes.

Enourmus amount of aluminium areal, actually a whole 2.5 times more than a large tower cooler as the 212+!

TY-140 PWM fan. (140mm 600-1300rpm)

Nickel plated baseplate with a perfect flat pressure surface against the CPU. (non- direct contact.)

Mounting plates for all the current relevant sockets. (s775, s1155, s1156, s1336, AM2/AM3+,s949)

Clever design, the heasink wont infringe on the ramslots since it's design alow it to strech further to the opposite side. (the cooler is made so that the front of the cooler is shorter than the back.)

I

I

The Heatsink is actually a HR-02 (thats one of the only passive heatsinks capable to take the new 125w CPU's) but with some few missing feutures.

It's not delivered with a large screwdriver, It's mounting system differ and the heatpipes isn't plated with shiny nickel.

But insted of that they ship the HR-02 macho with a 140mm PWM controlled silent TY-140, thats a neat tradeoff as this cooler is selling for half the HR-02 price!

I

I

What about the performance then?

It's one of the only HSF that can take on the closed Liquid cooling loops as the Corsair hydro series or the Antec WC coolers and head out as a TIE or even a WINNER!

But performing better than *as an example H50 and the coolit coolers isn't the best part about it, the macho's fan is actually dead silent even when your in the eight hour of Prime95 testing, the corsair or antec will kill your ears but the macho stay silent.

I

I

What about the price then?

Selling $40 sound like a great deal compared to the other solutions that cannot match the macho.

The only problem is to find it in store.

I

I

Drawbacks, it's mounting system is tricky, because the HR-02 was shiped with a custom philips screwdriver (a rather large/long one) with a macho you'll need to use your own.

This cooler is enourmus, forget about fitting this in your mini-case, midi or fulltower is strongly adviced.

I

I

The HR-02 macho is a great option to the closed WC/LC loops and will cost less, and for you who want a silent but high capasity cooler this is one of your only options.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

I doubt it'll replace the 212+, since not many people will be able to fit one.

Also (in UK) it's twice the price of the 212+.

swehunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 swehunt

kraken2109
It's actually only a few mm. higher. (3mm) and has more room to the ram slots when mounted than the 212+ has. The difference between them is quite big, both in noise and performance.
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
212+ is a high demand item, this isn't and it means 212+ is the hot sellers everywhere and has to be cheap to get the competition like Kraken says it's more expensive than the 212+. Still always nice to see something compete and hopefully improve upon the competition as it pushes everyone forward and we get better hardware.
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 kraken2109
[QUOTE="kraken2109"]

swehunt
It's actually only a few mm. higher. (3mm) and has more room to the ram slots when mounted than the 212+ has. The difference between them is quite big, both in noise and performance.

You got a link showing a comparison in temps between them?
C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts
Looks interesting. But, for now, it's ~27AUD more than the 212+.
gravitygamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 gravitygamer
Member since 2010 • 948 Posts
coolers with direct contact with CPU are better right. i mean you mentioned non direct contact.i guess the 212 has direct contact right. im sorry if im saying something stupid but i dont know much about cpu coolers.i still use stock cooler.
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 kraken2109
[QUOTE="gravitygamer"]coolers with direct contact with CPU are better right. i mean you mentioned non direct contact.i guess the 212 has direct contact right. im sorry if im saying something stupid but i dont know much about cpu coolers.i still use stock cooler.

212+ has direct contact pipes.
gravitygamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 gravitygamer
[QUOTE="kraken2109"][QUOTE="gravitygamer"]coolers with direct contact with CPU are better right. i mean you mentioned non direct contact.i guess the 212 has direct contact right. im sorry if im saying something stupid but i dont know much about cpu coolers.i still use stock cooler.

yes so 212 should be better than the above thermaltake cooler ??
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 kraken2109
[QUOTE="gravitygamer"][QUOTE="kraken2109"][QUOTE="gravitygamer"]coolers with direct contact with CPU are better right. i mean you mentioned non direct contact.i guess the 212 has direct contact right. im sorry if im saying something stupid but i dont know much about cpu coolers.i still use stock cooler.

Not according to swehunt
gravitygamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 gravitygamer
hmm....okies
04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23832 Posts

[QUOTE="gravitygamer"][QUOTE="kraken2109"] 212+ has direct contact pipes.kraken2109

Not according to swehunt

Well it having more heatpipes and surface area it should out perform the 212+ , however you have plenty of other $50-$60 coolers that perform better then 212+. So unless this new cooler is priced as cheap as the 212+ its not going to dethrone the 212+

*EDIT*

But according the chart I just found using a i7 920 its not that much better then a Hyper 212+..... by a whole 2C

swehunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 swehunt

Performance this cooler is just about as good aircoolers get, someone getting only a 2c difference don't know what they're doing.

Manage to outbeat the corsair closed liquid loop H50/H60 and the antech closed liquid loop 620, have you folks ever seen a 212+ do that? :P

Have a look at that, It manage to beat the corsair H60 with 5celcius ! , and it manage to get better results than the Antec Khûler 620!

And this is even more so impressive, this is where its outstanding, the fan is dead silent!

swehunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 swehunt

That is impressive!

swehunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 swehunt
[QUOTE="swehunt"][QUOTE="kraken2109"]

kraken2109

You got a link showing a comparison in temps between them?

I own both, I havn't done serious testing due to the testbench not up and running right now, but the 212+ is nowhere near the best air coolers, the Macho is however one of the best aircoolers you can get for money and even better than some of the closed liquid loops, the difference is quite big.
jedikevin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#16 jedikevin2
Member since 2004 • 5263 Posts

the 212+ has never been the best air cooler. Its a heatsink that does really well and cost really cheap. I bought mine for 20 dollars off newegg at the time. For that price, it does extremely extremely well. It fits in most mid tower cases, gives ability to push pull really without busting the bank, and provides something for almost all sockets out.

Avatar image for tequilasunriser
tequilasunriser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 tequilasunriser
Member since 2004 • 6379 Posts

the 212+ has never been the best air cooler. Its a heatsink that does really well and cost really cheap. I bought mine for 20 dollars off newegg at the time. For that price, it does extremely extremely well. It fits in most mid tower cases, gives ability to push pull really without busting the bank, and provides something for almost all sockets out.

jedikevin2
Exactly. Got mine for $12 during the Thanksgiving sales. Well worth the small price.
swehunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 swehunt

[QUOTE="jedikevin2"]

tequilasunriser

Exactly. Got mine for $12 during the Thanksgiving sales. Well worth the small price.

The reccomended price of 212+ is however ~$30, the macho is only $10 more @ $40 but performs in a higher class along with the Noctua D14 and it's likes witch retail roughly twice the money.

This cooler is in another price, but it's in another class too. This is always the case however, many folk own a 212+ and thinks it's the best product in the world, I have build a few builds with the 212+ but honestly for only $10 more I don't see the reason to go with the 212+ anymore.

212+ isn't even comparable to the macho with pushpull conf. fans according to my own testing, and the noise from the stock 212+ fan is absolutely horrid when running full blast, the macho is as in the charts one of the most silent HSF you can buy.

As of now I will reccomend the macho over the 212+ by multiple reason.

1) Performs better.

2) Very Silent.

3) Better than the simpler H2O solutions as the Antec 620, H60/H50.

4) Great performance per buck!

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16563 Posts

[QUOTE="tequilasunriser"][QUOTE="jedikevin2"]

swehunt

The reccomended price of 212+ is however ~$30, the macho is only $10 more @ $40 but performs in a higher class along with the Noctua D14 and it's likes witch retail roughly twice the money.

This cooler is in another price, but it's in another class too. This is always the case however, many folk own a 212+ and thinks it's the best product in the world, I have build a few builds with the 212+ but honestly for only $10 more I don't see the reason to go with the 212+ anymore.

212+ isn't even comparable to the macho with pushpull conf. fans according to my own testing, and the noise from the stock 212+ fan is absolutely horrid when running full blast, the macho is as in the charts one of the most silent HSF you can buy.

1) Performs better.

2) Very Silent.

I agree, no reason to get a 212+ if the temp difference between that and the stock HSF is only 10 degrees. If you`re going to bother getting a aftermarket HSF at all, at least make sure it does the job properly or just stick with the stock stuff.

swehunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 swehunt

[QUOTE="swehunt"]

[QUOTE="tequilasunriser"] Exactly. Got mine for $12 during the Thanksgiving sales. Well worth the small price. blaznwiipspman1

1) Performs better.

2) Very Silent.

I agree, no reason to get a 212+ if the temp difference between that and the stock HSF is only 10 degrees. If you`re going to bother getting a aftermarket HSF at all, at least make sure it does the job properly or just stick with the stock stuff.

212+ is still a great cooler but I have seen builds here where the price of a 212+ goes up to $30-35, at that point a much better choise would be the macho and @ $40 theres nothing that can compair. @ $12 the 212+ is a steal ofc! but thats a onetime offer. The more heat you put onto a HSF the larger difference your going to get in the readouts, in a full OC the difference between the 212+ and a stock cooler should exceed 10c, if not thoose 10c might be the difference between 4Ghz or 4.4Ghz.
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 kraken2109
[QUOTE="blaznwiipspman1"]

[QUOTE="swehunt"]

1) Performs better.

2) Very Silent.

swehunt

212+ is still a great cooler but I have seen builds here where the price of a 212+ goes up to $30-35, at that point a much better choise would be the macho and @ $40 theres nothing that can compair. @ $12 the 212+ is a steal ofc! but thats a onetime offer. The more heat you put onto a HSF the larger difference your going to get in the readouts, in a full OC the difference between the 212+ and a stock cooler should exceed 10c, if not thoose 10c might be the difference between 4Ghz or 4.4Ghz.

MY 212+ dropped load temps by 20 degrees below stock.
Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

I like my N520, perfect size and performance.

DevilMightCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 DevilMightCry
Member since 2007 • 3554 Posts

kraken2109
I paid $24 w/tax for my 212+ (Fry's), with an extra original fan for $9 = $35 monster (although 2nd fans only reduce 1-2c temp)
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 kraken2109
[QUOTE="kraken2109"]

DevilMightCry
I paid $24 w/tax for my 212+ (Fry's), with an extra original fan for $9 = $35 monster (although 2nd fans only reduce 1-2c temp)

I was considering adding another (cheap) fan. Does it make that little difference?
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#25 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

blaznwiipspman1

You really are the most clueless person on the board. The 212+ decreased my load temps by 20C, you really just like to hate on everything popular it seems as if the majority are just tools who dont know what they are buying.

DevilMightCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DevilMightCry
[QUOTE="DevilMightCry"][QUOTE="kraken2109"]

kraken2109

I was considering adding another (cheap) fan. Does it make that little difference?

It depends on your case and airflow. But from the few reviews that I have read, 2c seems average. Maybe more in some maybe no drop in temps. I dropped about about 2c. This is all idle mind you. There is slightly better gains during peak usage and higher temp.
abuabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 abuabed
Member since 2005 • 6606 Posts
Looks great, I'm still satisfied with my frio thermaltake cooler though, the good thing about CPU coolers is that they last for ages before you change them (that is IF you need to change them).
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 kraken2109
[QUOTE="DevilMightCry"][QUOTE="kraken2109"][QUOTE="DevilMightCry"] I paid $24 w/tax for my 212+ (Fry's), with an extra original fan for $9 = $35 monster (although 2nd fans only reduce 1-2c temp)

It depends on your case and airflow. But from the few reviews that I have read, 2c seems average. Maybe more in some maybe no drop in temps. I dropped about about 2c. This is all idle mind you. There is slightly better gains during peak usage and higher temp.

What was the difference at load?
DevilMightCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DevilMightCry
[QUOTE="kraken2109"] What was the difference at load?

About 3-4c, like I said, the extra fan just helps move air out faster, not cool the fins better, imo.