10 Years Ago the HD 4800 Series Launched - World's First One Teraflop GPU

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

User Lists: 0

#1 Xtasy26
Member since 2008 • 5582 Posts

The video card that brought back ATI/AMD back into contention after the mediocre HD 2900 series. The 4800 series was a total game changer. The fact that a $200 GPU was 10%+ faster than nVidia's $600 beast 8800 GTX was nothing short of stunning. nVidia was totally blind sided by it and they actually took a loss that year while AMD's Graphics Division took a profit. Not only that the HD 4870 had the World's First GDDR5 Memory. It was also my first ATI/AMD GPU. :) The HD 4870 was killing it. Not only matching the performance of the GTX 260 which costs $100 more but even matched the $650 GTX 280 in some cases. You have to be a total moron to choose the GTX 260 over the HD 4870 (or a rabid nVidia fan boy). ;)

By the way while come we still don't make nice looking graphics cards with sexy chicks on them. All we now get is some ugly a$$ looking graphics cards that are bland and with no artwork. :P

urbangamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 urbangamez
Member since 2010 • 3511 Posts

4850 was a good card had two of them in crossfire back in the day

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

So much smaller too.

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts

8800gt was still the gold card IMO.

4870 was a good card though.

I am not a fanboy like OP so I can see the good sides of both AMD and Nvidia.

My favorite AMD card was the 9700 pro. That card was a beast for its time.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

I remember I had the HD5770 1Gb GDDR5, still couldn't play Witcher on lowest graphics.

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Xtasy26
@RyviusARC said:

8800gt was still the gold card IMO.

4870 was a good card though.

I am not a fanboy like OP so I can see the good sides of both AMD and Nvidia.

My favorite AMD card was the 9700 pro. That card was a beast for its time.

I am a fanboy? LMAO. Then while come I own a GTX 1060 6GB and a Kaby Lake Core i7 7700 processor? I was pointing out facts like it would be you know idiotic to pay $100 for for a GTX 260 when you could get the same level performance with a HD 4870. If you did pay $100 more than yes you were a fanboy.

But a 9700 Pro was one of the greatest GPU ever made. If not the greatest.

@PredatorRules said:

I remember I had the HD5770 1Gb GDDR5, still couldn't play Witcher on lowest graphics.

Wow. Didn't know Witcher was that demanding.

mastershake575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mastershake575
Member since 2007 • 8574 Posts
@Xtasy26 said:

I am a fanboy?

I remember when you made a thread literally using a fake blog as a source to declare the 290x as the worlds most powerful video card..........

When you do stuff like that to no surprise your going to get labeled as a "fanboy"

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Xtasy26
@mastershake575 said:
@Xtasy26 said:

I am a fanboy?

I remember when you made a thread literally using a fake blog as a source to declare the 290x as the worlds most powerful video card..........

When you do stuff like that to no surprise your going to get labeled as a "fanboy"

No, you made mistake. It was from a site/YouTube that does reviews and it wasn't fake it uses actual hardware to benchmark. And it wasn't the World's Most Powerful Video Card, it was for World's Most Powerful Consumer Grade computer chip. Which the 290X was at the time. And the fact that if you look at my sig should tell you that I am not a fanboy. I merely point out facts. Which a lot of fanboys get butt hurt over it.

mastershake575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mastershake575
@Xtasy26 said:

No, you made mistake. It was from a site/YouTube that does reviews and it wasn't fake it uses actual hardware to benchmark

It was a fake blog called "FullHD1080p" that only had 3 articles, all of which where re-post of other's work (it didn't even have a real domain, used a free wix template).

We called you out on it being a fake blog with no original information and your response was "uh maybe there understaffed right now"........

That's literally the definition of embarassing

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@Xtasy26: For GPUs, TFLOPS are nearly useless without rasterization hardware.

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Xtasy26
@mastershake575 said:
@Xtasy26 said:

No, you made mistake. It was from a site/YouTube that does reviews and it wasn't fake it uses actual hardware to benchmark

It was a fake blog called "FullHD1080p" that only had 3 articles, all of which where re-post of other's work (it didn't even have a real domain, used a free wix template).

We called you out on it being a fake blog with no original information and your response was "uh maybe there understaffed right now"........

Actually it has a YouTube page too. How is it a "fake blog" when it has benchmarks of GPU's with actual hardware? Are you saying benches and any blog that you don't like are "fake". I have yet to see you counter the argument that the R9 290X was indeed the World's most powerful consumer grade GPU. Oh right, you can't and neither anything on the blog.

mastershake575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mastershake575

@Xtasy26 said:
@mastershake575 said:
@Xtasy26 said:

Actually it has a YouTube page too. How is it a "fake blog" when it has benchmarks of GPU's with actual hardware? Are you saying benches and any blog that you don't like are "fake". I have yet to see you counter the argument that the R9 290X was indeed the World's most powerful consumer grade GPU. Oh right, you can't and neither anything on the blog.

God your pathetic. The blog was literally a three sentence paragraph about the 200 series launch, a short story/opinion about a console game (GTA 5), and an article with benchmarks stolen from another site (those three things make up the entire site).

They stole numbers from others' websites testing and these numbers showed that AMD had the best consumer (which they didn't state) chip in terms of flops then they made up an award to give it for that.

They created a fake award with vague details (award didn't state consumer, you added that after people told you the 780ti was faster for gaming and the tesla was better for compute) and then claimed it was the "worlds most powerful chip" (fake blog with fake untrue claim and you claim it's an achievement simply because it's AMD).

Like I said earlier, EMBARRASSING (I don't think anybody on this forum is gonna disagree with me).

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Xtasy26
@mastershake575 said:
@Xtasy26 said:
@mastershake575 said:
@Xtasy26 said:

God your pathetic. The blog was literally a three sentence paragraph about the 200 series launch, a short story/opinion about a console game (GTA 5), and an article with benchmarks stolen from another site (those three things make up the entire site).

They stole numbers from others' websites testing and these numbers showed that AMD had the best consumer (which they didn't state) chip in terms of flops then they made up an award to give it for that.

They created a fake award with vague details (award didn't state consumer, you added that after people told you the 780ti was faster for gaming and the tesla was better for compute) and then claimed it was the "worlds most powerful chip" (fake blog with fake untrue claim and you claim it's an achievement simply because it's AMD).

Like I said earlier, EMBARRASSING (I don't think anybody on this forum is gonna disagree with me).

Uh no. Stole numbers? You mean facts that you don't like. Facts that are readily available from many other sites. And yes it's "consumer" GPU. And no 780 Ti doesn't beat the R9 290X in teraflops which was the original point of the blog post. And yes it's states that it was a consumer chip. Your memory is failing. And exactly how is a blog "fake" when in other articles it has benchmarks. Are you saying benchmarks are "fake"? It also has a YouTube channel. I guess that is "fake" too LMAO.

mastershake575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mastershake575

@Xtasy26 said:

Uh no. Stole numbers? You mean facts that you don't like. Facts that are readily available from many other sites. And yes it's "consumer" GPU. And no 780 Ti doesn't beat the R9 290X in teraflops which was the original point of the blog post. And yes it's states that it was a consumer chip. Your memory is failing. And exactly how is a blog "fake" when in other articles it has benchmarks. Are you saying benchmarks are "fake"? It also has a YouTube channel. I guess that is "fake" too LMAO.

Facts I don't like ? I freaking own the 290x you imbecile

It was a fake blog. It had no original material and used a free wix template.

The fact that the blog thought it was worthy enough of making a vague award (it did NOT state consumer) and the fact that you publicized it like it meant anything is embarrassing for both parties. Literally everyone in the thread called you out on it for a reason.

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

Damn it was simpler times. Ati/amd can muster up a gpu capable of beating nvidia every other gen or two. Custom art on the heatsink, I think the last graphics card that I had with an artwork on there was street fighter 4 gtx 470 which was a god awful card, thankfully the gtx 570 was leaps and bounds better.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

locked old thread