1 Motherboard to rule them all!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DabsTight703

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 DabsTight703
Member since 2008 • 1966 Posts

So I am torn between 2 motherboards for my i7 build. I will be running:

-Intel Core i7 860

-XFX ATI 4890

Which one of the motherboards is more future proof while providing the best gaming experience?

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0316808

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4366643&Sku=A455-2868

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance fellers.

Edit: I'm also buying the 4890 directly from a person. Does anyone know how if I will still be covered under XFX's lifetime warranty as I've read there was a bad batch of these video cards. Does anyone know how to spot whether it's one of the defective ones?

scoots9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#2 scoots9
Member since 2006 • 3505 Posts

The P6T does not work with the i7 8xx series, it is designed to work with the i7 9xx, they are different sockets.

sentenced83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#3 sentenced83
Member since 2005 • 1529 Posts

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4694158&csid=_21

get this one :) i wish i could get it :(

DabsTight703

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 DabsTight703
Member since 2008 • 1966 Posts

Scoots you just saved me a ton of money on my car insurance. Sentenced: I actually will get that one if you can provide me with information as to why it's better than P7P55 Pro. I don't know much when it comes to motherboards. Will this allow for future upgrades? Please help meh!

Edit: I also realized.. why the hell does it only work with the 920 and not the 860? This processor/mobo combo seems very limiting compared so socket 775 motherboards.

sentenced83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 sentenced83

http://www.motherboards.org/reviews/motherboards/1910_1.html

mate here's all you need to know about it :)

BeavermanA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 BeavermanA
Member since 2003 • 2652 Posts

You need a socket 1156 motherboard with the i7 860 cpu. The socket 1366 is for the i7 920 and up if I remember right. Make sure you do your research and aren't stuck with a cpu and mobo that don't work together.

AzNs3nSaT1On

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 AzNs3nSaT1On
Member since 2005 • 921 Posts

The P6T does not work with the i7 8xx series, it is designed to work with the i7 9xx, they are different sockets.

scoots9
ya the op definitely needs to do a bit more research on computer assembly because it shows that he doesn't know what he's talking about.
Recontrooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 Recontrooper
Member since 2009 • 1012 Posts
[QUOTE="DabsTight703"][QUOTE="AzNs3nSaT1On"][QUOTE="scoots9"]

ya the op definitely needs to do a bit more research on computer assembly because it shows that he doesn't know what he's talking about.

How did you make that assessment? Was it by reading the post stating I don't know much about i5/i7 builds? It wasn't? Then you should stfu.

Alright man, no need to say that. This is an "E" rated forum!
sentenced83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 sentenced83

if he was 100% sure of what he was doing he wouldnt have asked here ! so if someone cant advice him no need to post here boasting about his knowledge

, just give him the advice ..

AzNs3nSaT1On

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 AzNs3nSaT1On
Member since 2005 • 921 Posts

You actually think I came into this thread just so I could randomly insult a guy I don't know? Honestly, I came with a sincere wish to help people but I also hate it when people waste others' time reading something when they could have easily found their flaw from minimal amount of research. You know how in high school your teacher tells you there's no such questions as dumb questions? well let me tell you they're wrong. One more thing, ofcourse I can skip posting alltogether but now you know how annoying it is when you waste other people's time.

sentenced83: It's better to give no advice than a bad advice. I think we all agree that the OP doesn't know enough about assembly to do much after assembling the computer and yet you recommend the top of the line enthusist board? How do you think he'll feel when he breaks it? Wouldn't it be better to recommend a more cheaper alternative?

sentenced83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 sentenced83

You actually think I came into this thread just so I could randomly insult a guy I don't know? Honestly, I came with a sincere wish to help people but I also hate it when people waste others' time reading something when they could have easily found their flaw from minimal amount of research. You know how in high school your teacher tells you there's no such questions as dumb questions? well let me tell you they're wrong. One more thing, ofcourse I can skip posting alltogether but now you know how annoying it is when you waste other people's time.

sentenced83: It's better to give no advice than a bad advice. I think we all agree that the OP doesn't know enough about assembly to do much after assembling the computer and yet you recommend the top of the line enthusist board? How do you think he'll feel when he breaks it? Wouldn't it be better to recommend a more cheaper alternative?

AzNs3nSaT1On

The one i gave him is cheaper than the asus one he wanted and better (20$ cheaper) and honestly if he's willing to pay such money for a motherboard i gave him one for maximum performance, i wish i had the luxury of options when i got my stupid motherboard (its good priced for a tri sli even if he doesnt consider it ) , if he gave us his budget i would've recommended one accordingly but seeing the ones he chose i recommended this one ! i know mine is top of the line but for the price he was willing to pay why shouldnt he get it ?

if he wants a cheaper one he should say so and i'll try to find one that suits his needs ! in my opinion its a bit overboard to get a tri sli mobo if he doesnt intend to sli but the 1st one he mentioned had it so.....

jtcraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jtcraft
Member since 2005 • 2770 Posts

The Core i5 750, i7 860, and i7 870 are all socket 1156 cpu's. They are compatible with P55 mobo's (socket 1156) only. The Core i7 9xx cpu's are socket 1366 and work with X58 mobo's (socket 1366). The OP is not the first person to get mixed up about what mobo to use with the new i7 8xx cpu's (you can blame Intel's naming scheme for that).

Oh and sentenced83 the two mobo's you have linked are both X58 mobo's (EVGA X58 Classified and EVGA X58 SLI LE).

polarwrath11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 polarwrath11
Member since 2006 • 1676 Posts
OMG i hate intel. There are too many sockets, and it seems to significantly upgrade your processor you have to buy a new motherboard. When will this end. At least with AMD you go AMD3/2+ and feel secure.
sentenced83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 sentenced83

The Core i5 750, i7 860, and i7 870 are all socket 1156 cpu's. They are compatible with P55 mobo's (socket 1156) only. The Core i7 9xx cpu's are socket 1366 and work with X58 mobo's (socket 1366). The OP is not the first person to get mixed up about what mobo to use with the new i7 8xx cpu's (you can blame Intel's naming scheme for that).

Oh and sentenced83 the two mobo's you have linked are both X58 mobo's (EVGA X58 Classified and EVGA X58 SLI LE).

jtcraft

i have linked him only one mobo ! in my 1st posthttp://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4694158&csid=_21

OMG i hate intel. There are too many sockets, and it seems to significantly upgrade your processor you have to buy a new motherboard. When will this end. At least with AMD you go AMD3/2+ and feel secure.polarwrath11

thats why i go with AMD , you dont have to change everything with each upgrade :D

and btw do you intend to Crossfire ? because if you dont you can get a cheaper Mobo..