Time to build a new computer... help bros.

• 55 results
sethman410

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By sethman410
Member since 2008 • 2967 Posts

Hello. My GPU just got killed so I can't use the computer anymore. So, I have to build a new computer. Help me out on picking the right parts. What I am trying to do is be conservative as possible. I want the best performance as possible but with 700 dollar budget. I want to be able to play high-end games on at least medium settings. I mostly play world of tanks nowadays. But I have metro 2033, bf3, and crysis 3 that I want to be able to play at least on medium.

What I am looking at here is a 700 dollar pc gaming budget (of course it can be a little over 700 if necessary) with windows 7, a small sized sdd card and a good size hdd to back up stuff. I need everything new except mouse, keyboard, and sound card. So, I need a motherboard, a case, GPU, CPU, monitor, power suppy, memory, and windows 7. Am I missing anything else? is it necessary to order a optical drive or anything else?

I am gonna need LOTS of advice/tips because this will be my first time building a new computer and ordering parts online. I need good websites to go to. These are already the websites I know of: pcpartpicker, amazon, newegg.

I want red and black colors if possible. If you can't, it's no biggie.

Now... list the parts!!!!

EDIT: Errr damn... since i gotta buy a new monitor.. then maybe make it 800 dollar budget instead? Gosh idk, help!

And one quick question, how much space does windows 7 need on the sdd? Also, what is the difference between professional, ultimate, and home versions of windows 7? Does this matter much?

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

Don't you already have a PC? You can reuse parts from your old system and still have a good system. No need to purchase everything new. Post your current PC that has the broken GPU and let us see which parts can be reused. This can save you lots of valuable money in the long run. Also what windows does your old PC have? You can reuse windows keys, this would greatly help with costs if you don't have to purchase an OS.

sethman410

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By sethman410

@ferrari2001: It's a dell pre-built computer and it's about 6 years old. But I do want a new monitor, new cpu, new hdd (cuz average lifespan is 5 years?) and I dont have a sdd and want one. I hate the dell monitor I have. Idk if it's possible to reuse the power supply, motherboard, and the ram cards??? I also want windows 7 instead of crappy vista. If it's possible to reuse power supply, ram cards and mother board, that would be great. But all those came as prebuilt.. so not sure if it's possible. Only thing that I installed is the sound card.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

With a $800 budget i5's and GTX 780's are out of the question

Here is a quick setup to fit your budget, out of your old system you may be able to reuse the dvd drive.

FX 6300

Motherboard

8gb DDR3

Case

650w PSU

1tb Harddrive

GTX 760

Windows 7 64bit

All this is $760, And its a good balanced gaming pc

Now if you want intel you should look at i5 4690k and z97 board which will add more then $120 to the cost. You need to know what budget your willing to work with because a gtx 780 is $400+ out of the budget meaning you should be looking at a budget of 1k to get by.

sethman410

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By sethman410

@04dcarraher: Well, you know it's dell... and it's model is xps 420. I tried to take out the GPU and it was impossible. It just seems like everything is locked up in there except my sound card which i installed earlier this year cuz the integrated one was glitched out. Sooo....yeah... umm idk if i can take out the optical drive. I'll have to try it out. But it really seems impossible to take out anything that was pre-built.

And thank you soo much for the build!! Ill check out those parts.

What I am missing however is... windows 7, an sdd (grab a smaller sized hdd to make up for the costs if necessary) and a new monitor. Oh and... the colors aren't matching... lol. The case you gave has blue led however the ram and cpu are red and black and the gpu is orange. But i really don't care much about it. I just prefer the colors to match and i like it blue/red and black. Don't worry too much about the colors if it's that hard.

And if i can't take out the optical drive (which i believe i won't be able to) then this is also missing.

Bump it up to 800 if necessary then cuz i know this is alot to ask for. I definitely do not want to spend more than 1k. I just wanna see if I can work it out with 700-800 first.

The game I play nowawdays is world of tanks so i want to be able to play this game on highest settings with playable fps (40+).

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 04dcarraher

Its not impossible to take things out of the prebuilt computers I work on them all the time you just have to look at it and figure out it out you have clips, screws, tabs etc to unhook and remove. Yes it can be a pain but the dvd drives can be removed by taking off the front panel and removing what is holding the dvd in place. The gpu should only have a pci-e tab/clip by the slot and a screw or some plate over expansion slots.

sethman410

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By sethman410

@04dcarraher: Ok, well the only thing I want to reuse is the 8Gb ram, optical drive, and power supply, and the CPU. But this computer is 6 years old.. they are aging. I definitely want windows 7, a sdd, new hdd, new gpu, and new motherboard/case.

Problem is I cannot use that computer and find out it's specifications... nothing will show up on screen when I turn it on.

Should I just try and replace the GPU? But I asked others about this and they all tell me that I might as well start from the scratch because if I upgrade the gpu, it will be bottlenecked?

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 04dcarraher

O a fellow WoT player eh? Ive been waiting for them to update the engine to use multithreaded cpus for awhile now. But yeah that XPS 420 had a Q6600 correct? That FX 6300 is a nice upgrade over that old cpu of yours and with newer games that make use of more then 4 threads its a very good cpu for the price. But color schemes is somewhat pointless with cases that you cant see into, so unless your planning on getting a case with a windowed side I wouldnt worry about it. Its not hard to color match just takes more time and more money at times.

sethman410

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By sethman410

@04dcarraher: Haha that is why I said it's not a big deal about the colors. It's like eh who cares. But yeah I am a unicum in that game.

It actually has intel chip in it. How do I tell?? I see the chip on the motherboard but all it says Intel on it. I wish I could remember the exact kind I have...

This chip is probably the best thing about this computer lol. As far as I can recall, it definitely doesn't have more than 3.0 ghz. I think it's around at 2.4 or 2.7. And it's a quad...

That fx 6300 still a nice upgrade it seems. But I need a better GPU as well.

Edit: Anyway the GPU I have is ATI radeon 3800 series (3870 I think). Will that also be a nice upgrade too as well? The GPU you posted.

What im afraid is that it may not be able to install on this dell motherboard....

If I can upgrade the CPU and GPU without having to build a new computer... then ill be happy camper. However, im afraid that my HDD could be dying soon. Average lifespan of hdds is 5 years and it's 6 years old now.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 04dcarraher

you stat padder =P,

Im talking about the cpu the XPS 420's had the C2Q based cpu's ranging from Q6600 (2.4 ghz) to Q9550 (2.8 ghz). You are still rocking the old 3870, god that GTX 760 will feel like your going warp speed.

sethman410

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By sethman410

@04dcarraher: So you're saying I can replace my current cpu and broken gpu with those and im all set?

I've heard some advice from others that I might as well build from the scratch and that this xps 420 isn't customizable and upgrading anything will get it bottle-necked. So idk. But yeah i guess ill order those parts and see what I can do from there. If it doesn't work out, ill order new motherboard and case then.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By 04dcarraher

With a pc that old its best to build from scratch, but if the problem is just the gpu that is easy to fix. Just make sure keep the new gpu's power requirements around the same, not to stress your psu too much. Something like a GTX 750ti would work good only uses 60w vs 3870's 105w, and is around 4x faster.

sethman410

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By sethman410

@04dcarraher: Yeah that is what I figured. I mean, all the parts are aging... and I feel like they will all die pretty soon lol. And I want a boost in speed and start playing games that I couldn't have played before. So yeah this is it. Gonna build a new computer from the scratch.

I need a new monitor. Know a good budget one?? It is ok that I have to spend nearly 1k because I know this is alot to ask for and monitors are pretty expensive. I hate the dell monitor that I currently have.

What about SDD? I don't need that much space of HDD so you can find a cheaper one to make up for the costs. I like to use the SDD for main stuff and hdd for backup stuff.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@04dcarraher said:

With a $800 budget i5's and GTX 780's are out of the question

Here is a quick setup to fit your budget, out of your old system you may be able to reuse the dvd drive.

FX 6300

Motherboard

8gb DDR3

Case

650w PSU

1tb Harddrive

GTX 760

Windows 7 64bit

All this is $760, And its a good balanced gaming pc

Now if you want intel you should look at i5 4690k and z97 board which will add more then $120 to the cost. You need to know what budget your willing to work with because a gtx 780 is $400+ out of the budget meaning you should be looking at a budget of 1k to get by.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/BKyHpg the i5 part is possible, but in a 1000$ budget, in the meantime R9 290 is possible :D

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts
@PredatorRules said:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/BKyHpg the i5 part is possible, but in a 1000$ budget, in the meantime R9 290 is possible :D

TC wants a monitor as well ;)

humanistpotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 humanistpotato
Member since 2013 • 555 Posts

i would pass on ssd to get a better gpu

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#17 insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

Too bad you need a new monitor. Otherwise you could have gotten R9 280X.
Here's a build http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qFWJBm

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By Coseniath
Member since 2004 • 3183 Posts

If your RAM is DDR3, then I would suggest you to reuse it cause it will remove $70 from your total budget.

So if you can use your RAM then for $800 this is the best I could do including monitor, windows 7, i5 and R9 280:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/7bsVf7

Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/7bsVf7/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ NCIX US)

Motherboard: ASRock B85 Pro4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Amazon)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($56.99 @ Micro Center)

Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 280 3GB TurboDuo Video Card ($191.10 @ Newegg)

Case: Thermaltake Versa H22 ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.84 @ Amazon)

Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Amazon)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($86.99 @ NCIX US)

Monitor: Asus VX228H 60Hz 21.5" Monitor ($139.99 @ Amazon)

Total: $809.88

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-14 06:14 EDT-0400

ps: For a gaming PC if your budget is not more than $1500, stay away from any SSD since the money you will spend will be removed from the gaming performance.

ps2: What kind of HDD do you have?

ps3: You can remove the optical drive and reuse it if you want but its not a requirement for today's PC.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GeryGo  Moderator
@GTR12 said:
@PredatorRules said:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/8PfVf7 I see no problem, the budget is still below 1k.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 04dcarraher
@PredatorRules said:
@GTR12 said:
@PredatorRules said:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/8PfVf7 I see no problem, the budget is still below 1k.

Why would you pair an AMD quad core with a 290 what a waste of gpu potential, and then you have to add Windows so he is still needing over a $1000 with a lop sided setup.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ferrari2001

Ah, i didn't realize you were on such an old prebuilt. Yea, you'll probably need all new parts, except the dvd drive, and kb/m which you can reuse. Both builds listed in the post above mine are decent builds and something to consider.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GeryGo  Moderator

@04dcarraher said:
@PredatorRules said:
@GTR12 said:
@PredatorRules said:

Why would you pair an AMD quad core with a 290 what a waste of gpu potential, and then you have to add Windows so he is still needing over a $1000 with a lop sided setup.

760K is good CPU for gaming these days, yes, if you'll pick up i5 4690K it'll provide you additional ~20fps, BUT there's no such CPU that will provide you max graphics settings paired with lower tier GPU.

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Coseniath
@PredatorRules said:

760K is good CPU for gaming these days, yes, if you'll pick up i5 4690K it'll provide you additional ~20fps, BUT there's no such CPU that will provide you max graphics settings paired with lower tier GPU.

There are some games that a core i5 can provide playble FPS with even lower GPU while Athlon cannot while in other games the core i5 can provide more than 20FPS. Check my post here.

The difference between an athlon x4 and a core i5 is the same difference as R9 290 with a R9 280X or GTX770.

Many games will run better in the i5 PC.

The real advantage is the upgradability. The i5 system has a very good CPU and in 2 years can change to a faster GPU while the Athlon system will need to change both the CPU and the GPU and the motherboard...

Not to mention that the Intel's system can always use a core i7 if needed...

insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By insane_metalist

@04dcarraher said:
@PredatorRules said:
@GTR12 said:
@PredatorRules said:

Also, you want a better case with a 290. They run HOT.

sethman410

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By sethman410

I think I'm going with Coseniath's build at the moment. I'll have to agree with his opinions and I want an i5. I also agree that I do not need a SSD. This is not really super necessary. I am already used to my older computer to fully load up in 3 minutes. I'd rather have higher quality CPU/GPU and wait several more seconds for stuff to load. I'm a patient guy.

Does it really matter what HDD I have? I need a new one anyways. The one I currently have is 6 years old and average lifespan of HDDs is 5 years, right? It could start dying anytime soon. Anyway, it is Samsung SATA 640 GB, RPM 7200 and its model is HD642JJ.

I have 4 sticks of 2GB ram which gives me 8GB total. Idk if they are DDR3 or not. But I looked inside the case and the description says this: 2GB 2Rx8 PC2-6400U-666-12 on top... there's more description like that in the 2nd line. And the brand name says hynix korea 08.

But it's not my computer. It's my family computer. I think my step mom still wants everything on it anyway with replaced cheaper GPU. So, It's ok to go over budget a little to add in the 2 sticks of 4GB ram. So, find me a good one. :)

I will have to re-use the optical drive anyway to install windows 7?? (there's two of them and I can re-use one of them.) Not only that, I also want to be able to play old physical copies of games that I have.

Or I could re-use 2 sticks of 2gb ram that I have and use a new 4gb with it to make it 8gb? If that's the case, then I will need 3 slots available. Because that computer won't necessarily need 8gb of ram anymore.

What do you guys think of Coseniath's build?? I think that one is the best option for me so far. I do like a couple others that posted though as well.

He is missing the Ram however. Will the one the insane_metalist posted work with this build? Or what about predatorrules?

Question about rebates... what the heck is that? Like mail in rebate and rebate card. How do those work?

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ferrari2001

@sethman410 said:

I have 4 sticks of 2GB ram which gives me 8GB total. Idk if they are DDR3 or not. But I looked inside the case and the description says this: 2GB 2Rx8 PC2-6400U-666-12 on top... there's more description like that in the 2nd line. And the brand name says hynix korea 08.

Your ram is DDR2 so it will need to be replaced with DDR3

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Coseniath

@sethman410: Hmmm it seems your RAM is DDR2 666Mhz from Hynix. You need new RAM.

Well you can use either these G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory at $72.00 or since the motherboard I placed has 4 RAM slots (I hate 2 RAM slots mobos :P) you can even use G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 Memory at $44.99 and place an other 2x2GB (or 2x4GB) whenever you like :).

You can keep your old disk since its big enough for windows and games, and you can give the money you had for an HDD for RAM. You can always ofc, buy an HDD when you will have the budget :). Although I don't know about Samsung HDDs I can tell you about my 11 year old Western Digital 200GB HDD that still working well and an other WD 320GB which is 8 years old etc etc...

You can always take one physical drive from the previous just be sure that it has SATA connector. But in anyway a physical drive costs something like $14...

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

Here you go...

• AMD FX 8320
  • Coolermaster TX3
  • Asrock 970 Extreme3
  • GSkill 8GB DDR3
  • Western Digital Blue 1TB HDD
  • NZXT 210 Elite Black
  • EVGA 600B 600w PSU
  • Gigabyte R9 280 3GB
  • Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
  • Dell S2240M 21.5"

Reason's why I went for these parts:

1. AMD FX 8 CPU's are a lot cheaper than unlocked i5's and in gaming once overclocked can hold their own even in CPU intensive games
  2. The TX3 is the best cheap cooler around throw on another fan for push and pull like I have and its all you will need for a moderate overclock
  3. The motherboard is great and unless you are a extreme overclocker and or someone who needs space for two cards and a sound card and who knows what else, motherboards don't really matter once you get to a certain point
  4. RAM for gaming has hit a wall... Timing, frequency simply doesn't matter at all these days for gaming and 8GB is all you will need for the foreseeable future
  5. Similar to the above unless you have the money for a SSD... A HDD is a HDD
  6. The NZXT 210 is the best case in its price and doesn't look like a cheap plastic toy
  7. EVGA B PSU's along with Corsair CX are the best budget PSU's you can buy and 600 Watts is more than enough for that build
  8. The R9 280 is the best performing GPU you can get for under $200 and the Gigabyte version is the best performing one
  9. Its Windows 7
  10. The Dell S2240M is the best cheap IPS monitor you can buy right now... In that price range you will not find a panel as good as it.

Here's the partpicker: LINK.

insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 insane_metalist

@Grey_Eyed_Elf: NZXT 210 is indeed a nice little case. I did a build with it for a friend and there was plenty of room.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Grey_Eyed_Elf

@insane_metalist I built my wife a AMD A10 build in it and its wonderful, and if you aren't water cooling or have no intention of bulding a enthusiast build its THE case to get, It has...

• USB 3.0...
  • Minimalist looks...
  • Comes with a 140MM top fan and 120MM rear fan...

Costs $30. Simply can't be beaten.

sethman410

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By sethman410

Ok, well I just talked to my step mom and she said she wants all the parts together the way it is now. She will either get it fixed at Dell center or replace it with some very cheap graphics card. This means, I have to build it from the scratch. I will need everything new.

I did some research and compared the parts you guys posted. This is what I came up with.

CPU: i5-4440 - $191.99

GPU: PowerColor Radeon R9 280 3GB TurboDuo - $181.10

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 - $63.99 IF I can do the mail-in rebate. If not, then I will get Team Vulcan 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 - 1600 - $76.99

PSU: Corsair Builder 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX - $34.99 IF I can do the main-in rebate. If not, then I will get Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX - $49.99

Storage - Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive - $53.99

MOBO: ASRock B85 Pro4 ATX LGA1150 - $69.99

Case: Rosewill CHALLENGER ATX Mid Tower Case - $44.93

Monitor: Well, either Asus VX228H 60Hz 21.5" or Asus VN248H 23.8", the problem is I am not sure what the refresh rate is on the latter. I cannot find the info anywhere. If it is at least 60hz, I will get the VN248H which I bet it does. So, I will get VN248 IF I can do that mail-in rebate and the promo which will be $134.99. If not, then $139.99.

In conclusion, the total costs with mail-in rebate is $899.84. Alternative would be $904.84 which isn't much of a difference.

So guys, please explain how mail-in rebate stuff works? What do you do to take advantage of these discounts? And is the promo code obvious? Will I be able to enter it easily?

Yes, 900 dollars is ok. I knew I had to spend alot to build from the scratch anyway. So, im not really surprised. So what you guys think about this build?

EDIT: Oh Gee... more builds? Thanks grey_eyed_wolf...

I'll have to check out those parts and compare with what I got.

EDIT2: Dannnngg.... grey... I think I will have to go with yours because yours also includes the optical drive and cpu cooler which isn't included in the above build and it's still about 100 dollars cheaper and you still included the gpu that I wanted.

However, what I need help with is that I never overclocked a cpu before and I don't understand the mail-in rebate stuff....

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Grey_Eyed_Elf

@sethman410 You can't go wrong with the one you already have chosen the difference are almost non existent when it comes to the CPU's and the GPU's are the same albeit with different little overclocks and cooling. You can't go wrong with either.

The only thing I would recommend is the monitor... Only go with TN if its a 120Hz or 144Hz monitor, since you can't afford those get a cheap IPS... It will look better and you really won't notice the difference between 1 - 7ms in response time. Majority of people can't notice anything lower than 16ms(1 frame).

sethman410

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 sethman410

@Grey_Eyed_Elf: Are you suggesting that I should overclock that CPU??

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Grey_Eyed_Elf

@sethman410 said:

@Grey_Eyed_Elf: Are you suggesting that I should overclock that CPU??

Not at all... Stock coolers are just loud, since you intend on gaming a after market cooler will make your life a lot better, also with the i5 4440 overclocking will be a no go area if you don't know what you are doing since it doesn't have a unlocked multiplier.

Again overclocking for gaming doesn't do much for the HIGH majority of games since CPU's don't really matter as long as it has more than 2 or 3 cores and was made in the last 4 years.

sethman410

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 sethman410

Questions about R9 280, is it loud and/or run hot??? How is it?

insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By insane_metalist

@Grey_Eyed_Elf: NZXT 210 is indeed a nice little case. I did a build with it for a friend and there was plenty of room.

@sethman410 said:

Questions about R9 280, is it loud and/or run hot??? How is it?

AMD GPUs are louder then Nvidia. But they'e better value and with an aftermarket cooler, you'll be good (they all come with an aftermarket cooler so you don't have to worry about that).
If I were you, I'd go with one of these brands - ASUS, Gigabyte or Sapphire.

sethman410

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By sethman410

@insane_metalist: Why? What is wrong with PowerColor?

Ok.. what about this: Sapphire Dual-X

Problem is there are no reviews for this yet. Should I risk it? Looks really good to me though and my guts tell me I will not have a problem with this one.

I have a question. Are all other sites besides amazon and newegg that Pcpartpicker.com shows credible? Are they all safe? Like NCIX, SuperBiiz, OutletPC, and Tigerdirect?

insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 insane_metalist
@sethman410 said:

Problem is there are no reviews for this yet. Should I risk it? Looks really good to me though and my guts tell me I will not have a problem with this one.

I have a question. Are all other sites besides amazon and newegg that Pcpartpicker.com shows credible? Are they all safe? Like NCIX, SuperBiiz, OutletPC, and Tigerdirect?

I always see bad reviews on PowerColor cards. Sapphire seems to be one of the best as far as AMD cards go. I'd go with that Dual-X if I were you just to be safe.

sethman410

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 sethman410

@insane_metalist said:
@sethman410 said:

I always see bad reviews on PowerColor cards. Sapphire seems to be one of the best as far as AMD cards go. I'd go with that Dual-X if I were you just to be safe.

Good idea. I also googled the reliability of these brands. Especially one customer said that R9 280 is really bad with powercolor brand. I'll go with this sapphire. Thanks man.

MeowStan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#40 MeowStan
Member since 2014 • 55 Posts

Im not a computer guru but I could check out ibuypower, they have some awesome deals going on now I just built one from there and they have a lot of freebies if you buy a PC. Also I would check out the Revolt it is PC gaming top gaming rigs, I mean you can get it with lower specs for $700 but for a few hundred more you make it even better. Check it out, and I believe Walmart also sells ibuypower PCs and you can get betters deals on there too I think. Idk but check them out, a lot of awesome reviews.

sethman410

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By sethman410

Alright folks... this is it.

Sapphire Dual-X R9 280 - $199.99

i5-4440 - $179.99

Corsair Vengeance 8GB(1x8GB) DDR3-1866 - $63.99

Corsair Builder 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply - $34.99

Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM HDD - $53.98

ASRock B85 Pro4 ATX LGA1150 MOBO - $69.99

Rosewill CHALLENGER ATX Mid Tower Case - $44.93

Dell S2240M 60Hz 21.5" Monitor - $114.99

Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer - $14.99

Windows 7 - $95.87

Not bad right? I think it's an excellent build for... $873.71 in total.

Am I missing anything else? Or do any of these products have bad reviews?

insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 insane_metalist

@sethman410: Looks good to me.
BTW when your tower starts falling apart on the inside it's most likely because you got it (pre-built) from wallmart/iBuyPower.
Build your own for sure.

sethman410

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By sethman410

Or how about this build... Sorry I changed my mind about getting i5. I think I will get this instead.

AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core - $139.99

Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P ATX AM3+ MOBO - $74.99

Windows 7 - $95.87

Total cost: $838.71

This build will give me more bang for the buck. Only difference is the CPU and MOBO. Everything else is the same. Whatcha guys think about this one? Which one is the better deal?

So far, I prefer this build.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 GeryGo  Moderator

@sethman410 said:

Or how about this build... Sorry I changed my mind about getting i5. I think I will get this instead.

AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core - $139.99

Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P ATX AM3+ MOBO - $74.99

Windows 7 - $95.87

Total cost: $838.71

This build will give me more bang for the buck. Only difference is the CPU and MOBO. Everything else is the same. Whatcha guys think about this one? Which one is the better deal?

So far, I prefer this build.

You forgot a CPU cooler, I can recommend on the EVO 212, you could also get a 40$ MOBO that will do exactly the same thing that your 75$ does.

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Coseniath

@sethman410: Why would you take an FX8320 over a core i5 4440? FX8320 is good but core i5 will be faster at 99% of games out there.

Second. FX's and generally AMD has crap memory controller. Now you are limiting more that speed by adding only 1 memory stick. Why would you do that? for $9? Doesn't worth it...

PSU and GPU are good.

I wouldn't go from WD to Seagate for any reason. WD is far more reliable.

Also the tower you have chosen doesn't have external USB3.0 slots.

Are you sure that you don't want front panel USB3.0 slots?

About now the monitor. It's nice and its IPS and LED too. Just keep in mind that it has 7ms (ASUS that I posted has 1ms) and this might be frustrating during gaming.

And the rest are ok too.

TLDR: The last build you posted, half of the parts are not good options...

sethman410

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By sethman410

@Coseniath: Well, I made my decision based on these results: CPUBoss, 8320, i5 4440.

Problem is that I do not know if they are gaming benchmarks though however. If you can link me to someplace that shows the comparison of gaming benchmarks or post any charts that show i5 would be the better choice, that would be great.

And why exactly 4440?? Just curious. What about 4460 instead? Will that be better? I found it for the same price as the 4440. It seems like 4460 would be a better choice because of slightly better performance with same price.

For HDD, thanks for showing that chart. I think I will switch to WD. :)

Oops, didn't know the tower I wanted did not support USB 3.0, i'll switch to something else.

Monitor - Well, dang, I will have to switch back to ASUS then. I thought the higher the ms, the better. I was wrong.

Time to change the build once again.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 GeryGo  Moderator

@sethman410 said:

@Coseniath: Well, I made my decision based on these results: CPUBoss, 8320, i5 4440.

You've made a mistake on this one, those tests and comparison are only good if you're into editing softwares - not gaming.

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Coseniath
@sethman410 said:

Problem is that I do not know if they are gaming benchmarks though however. If you can link me to someplace that shows the comparison of gaming benchmarks or post any charts that show i5 would be the better choice, that would be great.

And why exactly 4440??

This comparison is really old. CPUBoss hasn't anything to do with gaming as @PredatorRules said. edit: I forgot CPU boss is trash for many reasons. They never compare apples to apples. With their own abysmal logic they can tell you that a 10year old CPU has something positive against a today's CPU. (pe: a P4 3,2GHz has better clock from i5 4430...) Just look at this and laugh...

If you ever need to compare CPUs especially for gaming try this from Anandtech.

or Best Gaming CPUs For The Money or Gaming CPU Hierarchy Chart.

FX CPU line is good until you reach i5. i5 CPUs will win in gaming benchmarks for like 99% of the entire game base. Maybe more...

Core i5 4440 is a good cheaper CPU (it has the same price as the slower i5 4430 cause intel doesnt care as it seems) that runs at 3,1Ghz. Now, 4 Haswell cores at 3,1 Ghz will have absolutely no problem rrunning the most demanding games. Its just 300Mhz slower speed than 4670 at around $50 cheaper. I already made a build with this to a friend.

But since you didn't know how faster is Intel compared to AMD in gaming benchmarks I will link a few:

This is from i5 4430 and not i5 4440. i5 4440 will have higher numbers.

Also More hitman Benchmarks: High and Medium

Its really hard to find numbers for i5 4440 but its performance is really close to i5 4670 when it comes for games.

Here someome compares core i5 4430 to a core i7 4770K and in most games they are close.

Anyway I can find more information for 4670K but it has 300Mhz more i5 4440. It wouldn't be fair...

Actually FX8320 can be close or the same in heavy multithreaded games.

But when the game supports up to 2-4 cores, cause of Intel's brutally strong IPS per core the last picture is happening...

edit: I found some i5 4440 gaming benchmarks but they are comparing it to the entire haswell line and not with any FX...

But in most 1080p benchmarks is equal to faster CPUs :)

edit 2: You need to consider about RAM stick too. In order to activate dual channel you obviously need 2 sticks.

sethman410

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By sethman410

Ok, I will stick with i5. What about the 4460 instead? Is it any better? Because I found it with the same price.

EDIT: Do you guys know a good aftermarket cooler for R9 280?

Do mobos come with drive cages and is it a must to put the GPU in the drive cage? And if I get an aftermarket cooler, will it also fit in the drive cage along with the GPU?

And about the Rosewill case. Yes, it doesn't have 3.0 USB port, but can I make up for it by having a mobo that comes with 3.0 ports?

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Coseniath
@sethman410 said:

Ok, I will stick with i5. What about the 4460 instead? Is it any better? Because I found it with the same price.

Its faster but it needs H97 or Z97 mobo or a previous gen mobo with updated bios.