Diddies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1 Diddies
Member since 2007 • 2415 Posts

I just recently updated windows on my PC (in signature). My windows is booted from the 960 evo. However, something happened during the update. My PC will turn on and goes to the MSI logo and then immediately goes to a black screen. I have restarted numerous times and got to a blue screen a couple of times that had a stop code of MACHINE CHECK EXCEPTION.

I believe that there is something wrong with Windows, but I want to see what would be the quickest and best way to get this fixed. I even tried to boot from a new windows USB thumb drive and the windows logo appears and then goes to a blank blue screen with nothing.

I appreciate the help.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@Diddies: Reset settings is the key to solve it, when you boot Installation again from that USB drive you can go advanced settings and choose Reset settings - it'll reset Windows to factory settings including erasing Windows updates.

Diddies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Diddies

@PredatorRules said:

@Diddies: Reset settings is the key to solve it, when you boot Installation again from that USB drive you can go advanced settings and choose Reset settings - it'll reset Windows to factory settings including erasing Windows updates.

I had to unplug all of my SSDs and HDD and just leave the m.2 to get it to boot with the USB drive. After finally getting windows installed I realized that one of my HDDs failed and could be another culprit as the system wouldn't boot with it plugged in even with changing power cord and sata cord. Do you know of anyone that could pull data from an HDD or some company that is recommended?

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 GeryGo  Moderator
@Diddies said:
@PredatorRules said:

I had to unplug all of my SSDs and HDD and just leave the m.2 to get it to boot with the USB drive. After finally getting windows installed I realized that one of my HDDs failed and could be another culprit as the system wouldn't boot with it plugged in even with changing power cord and sata cord. Do you know of anyone that could pull data from an HDD or some company that is recommended?

You can try https://www.easeus.com/ other than that only local data restore labs could do that for you

Diddies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Diddies

@PredatorRules said:
@Diddies said:
@PredatorRules said:

You can try https://www.easeus.com/ other than that only local data restore labs could do that for you

So I am not exactly sure if it is dead or not. I have a USB HDD (included sata and power to one usb) and have plugged it into my PC. This pops up under my devices, but can't find it anywhere else. Can you think of a way to get this data from here?

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GeryGo  Moderator
@Diddies said:
@PredatorRules said:
@Diddies said:
@PredatorRules said:

So I am not exactly sure if it is dead or not. I have a USB HDD (included sata and power to one usb) and have plugged it into my PC. This pops up under my devices, but can't find it anywhere else. Can you think of a way to get this data from here?

Try to set a letter to that drive via Disk Management

Diddies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Diddies

@PredatorRules: that is an issue as well. It doesn’t pop up under disk management and only devices.