RoleplayGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 RoleplayGaming
Member since 2016 • 52 Posts

Hey guys, I have a MSI Z170 M7 Mobo and just upgraded my gpu to 1080ti. I noticed something weird when booting that's never happened before. If I'm in the bios and back out, the screen will stay stuck at the MSI splashscreen. I can't hit delete or anything and when I press the restart button it boots up perfectly fine. This only happens when I back out of Bios after a few minutes of staying in there and any other time it will boot up fine. It's not a huge issue, like I said the only way to recreate it is if I stay in Bios for a while.

From what I've researched it seems a possible fix is to either reset CMOS or update the bios (Which I've never done). I'd rather not do either of these unless it starts happening frequently however, especially when updating bios seems to be risky and could cause issues.

Just am curious to see if anyone had any idea what the cause or reason to this could be?

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@roleplaygaming: Upgrading BIOS firmware isn't risky at all if you know what you're doing. Most modern MOBOs got software from the manufacturer to do so and the only warning you'll get is to not plug off the power cable or turn off you computer during the upgrade.

Resetting CMOS is the number one thing you should try (although it sounds like it's a bug from the factory on the BIOS software)

It's risk-less and there're plenty of YouTube videos on how to do so (whether removing the battery for half an hour or couple hours, removing it and long pressing the power button for 20 seconds, you can relocate the jumper and return it and even which is the easiest to unplug the power cable, hit for 20 seconds power button and turn it on normally).

If you don't want to do these at all unfortunately I think you'll have to pick a different MOBO or even a different brand for that socket because it's unlikely that you'll RMA it and get different MOBO of the same model and it'll be fixed.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

Press "Pause/Break" on your keyboard.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@PredatorRules: Eh.. I haven't tried resetting CMOS since Z77. Taking the battery out for a few minutes was enough there at least.