VR omni treadmills

This topic is locked from further discussion.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

You probably heard of virtuix omni but have you heard of the katwalk

Instead of sliding they use shoes with rolling parts, also a different way of supporting you. Defenitely sound interesting

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

Still looks uncomfortable, I think they should invest some money on mind reading machine - will reduce the need in such clumsy omni device - sure the research will cost them more but it'll be worth it.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#3 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17803 Posts

You are still being held back by the harness when trying to crouch and stuff. It is cool, but still not all that practical.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@PredatorRules said:

Still looks uncomfortable, I think they should invest some money on mind reading machine - will reduce the need in such clumsy omni device - sure the research will cost them more but it'll be worth it.

looks a lot more comfortable to me than the omni, i mean you won't fall that fast plus your held in place on one point.

Mindreading device don't exist and are not even close to existing in the near future, probably not even the distant future.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@commander:This looks interesting. TBH, I'm actually looking into something like this or the Omni. I get a "fund" from work to spend on my own computer equipment every year and that fund is replenished in about a week and at the moment I'm already very happy with my current setup. I'm going to be spending this money on VR stuff mostly. I'm definitely going for an Oculus CV1, Oculus Touch, and depending on how much is left over either this or the Omni if they turn out to be any good from the reviews and feedback. However, the idea of these devices is a bit too "out there" for me to be an early adopter at $600 plus. I'll let others be the guinea pigs on this one.

-Byshop

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts

@Byshop said:

@commander:This looks interesting. TBH, I'm actually looking into something like this or the Omni. I get a "fund" from work to spend on my own computer equipment every year and that fund is replenished in about a week and at the moment I'm already very happy with my current setup. I'm going to be spending this money on VR stuff mostly. I'm definitely going for an Oculus CV1, Oculus Touch, and depending on how much is left over either this or the Omni if they turn out to be any good from the reviews and feedback. However, the idea of these devices is a bit too "out there" for me to be an early adopter at $600 plus. I'll let others be the guinea pigs on this one.

-Byshop

Why are you getting and Oculus CV1 over a HTC Vive?

tofu-lion91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 tofu-lion91
Member since 2008 • 13496 Posts

Oohh can't wait for all this stuff, I've been patiently waiting for the Omni Treadmill and Oculus Rift to finish development for years now! This certainly looks like a better alternative to the Omni and I'll definitely consider it when it comes out :)

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Looks like something I'd rather pay a $1 to try out at an arcade or something than actually own.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@RyviusARC said:

Honestly I might end up getting both, but I have a DK2 right now and on paper I'm more impressed with the Oculus and the Touch. The dev kits and SDKs have been out there longer and the likelyhood of software support is greater for the Oculus as a result.

-Byshop

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts

@Byshop said:
@RyviusARC said:

Honestly I might end up getting both, but I have a DK2 right now and on paper I'm more impressed with the Oculus and the Touch. The dev kits and SDKs have been out there longer and the likelyhood of software support is greater for the Oculus as a result.

-Byshop

I am more impressed with the HTC because it can tell if you are crouching or moving around your room. It is also supported by Steam.