Recycling pc parts at best buy?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

I have some hardware from my old pc that are completely dead( gpu, psu, corsair h80), anyone here thinks they take them? It's better then throwing them into the dumpster.

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

@TheShadowLord07: best bet is to call your local store and ask. it may differ from store to store

The_Stand_In

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By The_Stand_In
Member since 2010 • 1179 Posts

Give them to Goodwill or other non-profit. They LOVE to sell that kind of stuff for scrap and will more than likely be happy to take it off your hands.

I give old PC stuff not worth selling to Goodwill all the time and they always comment on how they love that kind of stuff, even if it's broken. Plus it's tax deductible, too.

urbangamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 urbangamez
Member since 2010 • 3511 Posts

you can take them to a farmers market, junkyard or garage sale if there is one in the area

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

@The_Stand_In said:

Give them to Goodwill or other non-profit. They LOVE to sell that kind of stuff for scrap and will more than likely be happy to take it off your hands.

I give old PC stuff not worth selling to Goodwill all the time and they always comment on how they love that kind of stuff, even if it's broken. Plus it's tax deductible, too.

people buy parts that dont work?

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

There should be a recycling center somewhere not far away. For us, we could do that or wait for the quarterly pick up of bulk trash (including electronics).

The_Stand_In

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 The_Stand_In
Member since 2010 • 1179 Posts

@TheShadowLord07 said:
@The_Stand_In said:

people buy parts that dont work?

They sell them to (usually overseas) companies that melt them down and recycle them for scrap metal, like gold/copper/etc. They don't get a TON of money for them, but every bit helps and the money usually goes to help people in your specific community as well.

They don't resell the parts to people in their stores if that's what you were asking. Although, yes, on eBay, people WILL buy parts that don't work if the price is right. I'm not entirely sure why, though. Maybe they sell them to aforementioned companies for scrap money if the profit margin is good or maybe they hope to restore them to working order. Dunno.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f768591970d3
deactivated-5f768591970d3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5f768591970d3
Member since 2004 • 1255 Posts

i always recycle my old laptops or batteries. Just drop them off at a participating best buy. better than tossing them in the garbage.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

Yeah def don't throw them in a dumpster. They can be harvested for copper and other stuff.