Jeffblazing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Jeffblazing
Member since 2010 • 33 Posts

My computer screen begins to flicker very badly during Call of Duty MW3. It doesn't happen til around level 20, but then it begins flickering, making the game pretty much unplayable. Sometimes the colors change, or other things happen, but it's always video weirdness. I have had problems with other games, like the screen freezing for 20 seconds or so during COD MW2 or Call of Juarez Gunslinger. I tried updating the drivers on the video card, which didn't help. The card is probably 6-7 years old. Do video cards go bad, or is this even the problem? I am not computer-building savvy.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#2 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17790 Posts

@Jeffblazing: No electronics last forever. If it is 6-7 years old, you are definitely due for an upgrade.

Jeffblazing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Jeffblazing
Member since 2010 • 33 Posts

@BassMan: Thanks. So it is definitely the graphics card? I was going to replace it, but don't want to find out afterwards that it's something else.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

It sounds like your gpu is artifacting it can be a cooling issue, see if the heatsink/fan is caked with dust and see if fan is even working.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@Jeffblazing: I would like to add something, if fan is moving and there's no dust, after 6-7 years it's recommended to apply new thermal paste, it's pretty easy, just unscrew the GPU, clean the chip and the heatsink, best way is with 90% alcohol - but even paper towel will do.

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#6 insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

Clean the dust, reapply thermal paste, see if it works afterwards.