thedork_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 thedork_knight
Member since 2011 • 2664 Posts

Looking to get into PC gaming with a high spec PC, and as i have just purchased a new 4K TV and was going to hook it up to that. Does anyone else have any experience with PC gaming on a 4K TV rather then a decent monitor.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#2  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17806 Posts

Output from your video card via HDMI to your TV and you are good to go. Just keep your expectations in check. If you want 4K/60fps, you will need a beast rig with multiple 980 Ti in SLI. Even then, you will not be able to play the more demanding titles at max settings.

If you have not built your rig yet, wait for the new Pascal GPUs from Nvidia in June. Keep in mind that you can always output at a lower resolution like 1440p to get better performance on that TV.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Some things to keep in mind..

- You need a beast PC to get good performance at 4k with new games. I'm talking $2k+ spent on your rig (minimum).

- Expect extra input lag, especially if upscaling from lower resolutions

- Expect lots of screen-tearing and motion clarity artifacts. Can be offset by V-sync, but this will add even more input lag, making it more difficult to game. Triple buffering can help with this but costs a chunk of VRAM and you probably won't have too much VRAM to spare at 4k in graphics-intensive games.

IMO a 1080P TV makes a lot more sense than 4K. You typically sit further away from a TV than a monitor, minimizing the need for anti-aliasing and higher resolutions, because aliasing is a lot harder to notice when viewed from a distance. In most cases they'd look extremely similar in picture quality, except you need to spend 2x-3x as much on your rig to make 4k playable with the newest games.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@KHAndAnime: I believe triple buffering increases input lag, however can make the transition when the fps drops a bit smoother.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 KHAndAnime

@horgen said:

@KHAndAnime: I believe triple buffering increases input lag, however can make the transition when the fps drops a bit smoother.

I think it depends on which way it's implemented. If done the right way, I'm pretty it decreases input lag. If I recall correctly from what I read, with triple buffering you can get the delay under 10 Ms, and I'm not so sure if you can do that with regular V-sync. I think it might talk about it here.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#6  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17806 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:
@horgen said:

I think it depends on which way it's implemented. If done the right way, I'm pretty it decreases input lag. If I recall correctly from what I read, with triple buffering you can get the delay under 10 Ms, and I'm not so sure if you can do that with regular V-sync. I think it might talk about it here.

Buffering does indeed increase input lag. Any time you are buffering, you are manipulating the rendering of frames and moving away from real time. It does provide a smoother frame rate and motion, but increased input lag.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By KHAndAnime

@BassMan said:

Buffering does indeed increase input lag. Any time you are buffering, you are manipulating the rendering of frames and moving away from real time. It does provide a smoother frame rate and motion, but increased input lag.

I think normally you would be right, but we're talking about V-sync - so you're looking at it completely out of context. To break it down : V-Sync introduces extra input lag because the image generated is out of sync with the monitor. Triple buffering uses another buffer to put the image back in the sync with the monitor. If V-Sync was always already in-sync with the monitor, you'd be right. But it's not, so you get a bunch of extra input lag. Essentially, by adding the extra buffer (which adds a small amount of input lag), you're reducing a greater amount of input lag caused by regular V-Sync. I hope that makes sense. Keep in mind there are multiple implementations of triple buffering and they don't all work the same way, but I think you can force games to do it correctly with D3DOverrider.

Triple buffering gives you all the benefits of double buffering with no vsync enabled in addition to all the benefits of enabling vsync. We get smooth full frames with no tearing. These frames are swapped to the front buffer only on refresh, but they have just as little input lag as double buffering with no vsync at the start of output to the monitor. Anandtech

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

I'm using a 4k monitor (Crossover 324k) with just a single 970. Only game to give me crap is Rise of the Tomb Raider (any setting at 4k will stutter. Dropping to 1440p fixes that and it still looks pretty good.) and The Division (runs about 20-30fps depending on the location with med/high settings.) Actually I'm really surprised at how well it handles everything so far but I'm still planning on grabbing a Pascal card when I can. Only thing to really worry about is text size if you sit at a normal distance from it. Most games seem to handle it very well but for general PC usage I would not recommend it.

rogelio22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By rogelio22
Member since 2006 • 2477 Posts

Dual 970s here have my pc hooked up to a 4k 55" lg tv while most games play good on it i still prefer using my 1440p 144hz gsync monitor.... games play so smooth on it

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@thedork_knight said:

Looking to get into PC gaming with a high spec PC, and as i have just purchased a new 4K TV and was going to hook it up to that. Does anyone else have any experience with PC gaming on a 4K TV rather then a decent monitor.

Make sure you get 2x 390s or 2x 980Ti's for smooth experience.

Yams1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#11  Edited By Yams1980
Member since 2006 • 2862 Posts

All the above is true from what i've experienced about input lag. Larger the screen, more input lag. And I only have experience with 1080p screens. At 4k im sure its even worse when dealing with the lower fps on top of the increased input lag.

Some games though its not even noticeable. But you do notice the difference in different cases, my main screen is a 27 inch 1080p, and my tv is a 60 inch plasma, also have a 40 inch led tv, both have some slight lag which you don't notice in some games. Mostly a game that relys on mouse input you do, especially on the larger screen. Its mostly why i do 99% of my gaming on my 27 inch screen since i can't notice any lag. I mostly just game on my bigger screens when i don't need the crisp responsive feel i get on my small screen. Easiest test I do is move the mouse around on desktop, if it feels like your not fully connected to the movements theres lag there. Most games i run on my tv i use a gamepad and when using a gamepad you don't notice it at all.

Theres some websites that measure different amounts of input lag per tv if you really were looking into that sort of thing for buying a new tv in the future to use with your pc.