Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Bond007uk
Member since 2002 • 1642 Posts

Hi,

So today I 'tried' to build a new PC, but failed. I put the PC together, it turned on, but wouldn't post. As it was taking too long, I'm go try again tomorrow.

Spec

Intel i7 8700

MSI MSI Z370-A PRO

Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX 16 GB

My old GTX 970 - upgrading this soon.

550 Corsair PSU

Corsair Carbide 200R case

So, want went wrong?

CPU and heatsink seems to hooked up fine.

I've checked the the memory are in the correct slots.

All the cables are correct from the PSU - including power for the CPU

I'm going to re-seat everything tomorrow and test the machine out side the case.

Could need some further advice please. Not my first build, but it's really damaged my confidence. :(

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58271 Posts

What I often screw up are the HD/Power/Reset cables, they're small and hard to read and squeeze in there. I would reset that too.

These guys

You got the right idea, though; just take everything out and rebuild.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#3 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Hate that when it happens, even worse when you send the mobo back and the retailer finds nothing wrong with it.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

First thing I would check is the front panel connectors.Then I would connect monitor to the onboard motherboard video output (not the gtx 970)

Also does your case have preinstalled motherboard standoffs? I hope you didn't forget to installed them before you mounted the board. Also check your ram sticks try only one stick and if it dont post try the other stick and if they dont with ether one try different ram slots with a single stick of ram. I would also look to see if your motherboard has any bent pins on cpu socket lastly.

Bond007uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Bond007uk

I only did a barebones install, just to check everything. The machine came on, no POST and no image on display.

I tried doing a cpu re-seat. Instead of putting the H7 back on I tried the intel heatsink. It looked easy enough in youtube videos. Could I install it? Nope! Despite watching some videos I couldn't get those push throughs to go in. I was getting angry so I abandoned it. Now I'm going to have to put the H7 on again.

The case has already has stand offs. But there is one near the middle, larger than the rest. It sticks up through the mobo - like it's there to line things up. Should I try to remove this? Thing is, not sure if it can be removed. Surely though, if there was a short, the machine wouldn't come on at all right?

It was the fact I was getting so annoyed and frustrated I gave up yesterday.

Bond007uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Bond007uk

Update:

POST success! I made a test bench (my wooden dressing table). Placed my mobo on the motherboard box, plugged it in, hooked up to display and it booted, yay! Worked with GPU installed as well. Memory must have been loose or something.

Just need to put it in the case now.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127502 Posts

@Bond007uk: Excellent! Hope it posts in the case as well.

Bond007uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Bond007uk

I got it in the case now, Windows installed. Played a few games. The performance increase with the i7 8700 massive! My old AMD FX 8350 just couldn't cut it anymore. I just need a new GPU now to replace my old GTX 970.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

@mrbojangles25: Those little cables are a real bitch to work with.

JoPython52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10 JoPython52
Member since 2013 • 119 Posts

I’m glad you got it working. I will be going through a build today myself. I’ve done about a half dozen builds over the years, there is always some issue that pops up that kinda takes the fun out of the process. Should be easy; place the cpu in the mother board, mount the mother board to case, install cpu cooler, install ram, plug in cables, install video card, install hard drive, then turn on computer. What can go wrong lol.

Diddies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#11 Diddies
Member since 2007 • 2415 Posts

I had a very bad problem with my first build. It wouldn't post and I tried everything. I had to do a bios update from a USB before it would even post. I didn't have the knowledge that I do now to try and get through these problems and MSI was just telling me to ship the MB back.

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

Glad to hear it's working, always RTFM first, to be sure you don't use HDD screws for the MB like some idiots do (guilty). 8700 is a killer, I have it after FX-6300 and the difference is night and day.

JoPython52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By JoPython52
Member since 2013 • 119 Posts

@PfizersaurusRex: well, as I expected, my build has not gone smoothly. Just the usual hardware issues installing the cooler to the cpu, a stripped screw, cabling issues and the like. The power comes on, some fans work, then it seems to power down and recycle, but no image on my monitor. Not sure where to start, I guess I will have to remove everything and start again. Heavy sigh..?

...SUCCESS. It’s usually always a simple problem. My ram was not seated all the way in the slot. Now I’m rocking.

Also, my pc booted up with my windows 10 and games intact, as far as I can tell it’s not looking for any drivers for my new motherboard or anything, strange, that part went way to easy.