Hey everyone -
I used to be a frequent user on GS Forums and in a bunch of groups. I have not been here in 3 years as I stopped doing forums and such for a few years. Marriage, jobs, life, etc.... I have over 21K posts, lol just saw that.
I was wondering about a couple things, since its a been a while for some hardware. I have looked and know what is out there for parts, but just wanted an update. Some questions for you below.
#1 - I am starting to save for a new build (Not Fully, Partial) for later this year. I used to go large all the time (when I was single), but $1500 on GPU 's is not in my wife's criteria anymore. So I am looking at upgrading my 6 year old PC. I only game, nothing else. My PC is strictly for gaming. I don't even surf the web on it (have a laptop/tablet/phablet for that).
- ASUS P6-X580 Premium (Had Gigabyte Board before and it died)
- Intel i7 960 @ 3.2Ghz (Water cooled) (Had overclocked to 4Ghz years ago on other MoBo before death)
- [8GB] 2x3gb Corsair DD3-1600
- XFX 7970Ghz DD @ 1050Mhz/1500Mhz (Had 5970 in Quad-Fire before- Both Died of Heat)
- 1500wt Enermax Galaxy PSU
- Samsung 250gb SSD (Main - Windows 10 on SSD)
- WD Black 500gb/16mb (Windows 7 (64-bit)
- WD Black 1TB/64mb ( Windows 7 (64-bit)
- Corsair 800D Case
- Scythe Ninja 120CFM Fans through out
- Logitech G9 Mouse
- Logitech G710 Mechanical Keyboard
- Logitech G930 7.1 Headphones
- Logitech Z-4 2.1 Speakers w/ Sub
- HP ZR2740W IPS LED @ 1440p (newest, but may sell for 4K)
- HP Pavilion 27bw IPS LED @ 1080p (swap between PS4 and PC)
- Viewsonic LCD @ 900P (monitoring station)
- WANT 4K Monitor
I am planning on turning majority of these parts into a future LAN PC, as I am sick of lugging this 60lbs+ PC around to a friends house about 10 times a year. So all but the PSU, SSD, Case are going into a new PC. Now I have been thinking of bringing my Overclock to 4.0Ghz again on the i7 960 and getting 2x8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600.
#2 - If I did overclock my CPU at the high resolution (1440p & 4K plans) I play at, would you think just an upgrade to the GPU would be fine? Say to a R9 390 or 970GTX? I have majority of my later life been a AMD user over nVidia. Do you think that it could hold me off until 2017 for a CPU/MoBo/DDR4? Goal is a i7 5930K build.
I obviously know that a i7 960 is not as good as a i7 6700K or the i7 5930K. But if I did do a partial build, I would want something that would do another 6 years (minus broken parts or GPUs)
3 - When is the next GPU cycle?
4- When is the next CPU cycle?
5- Should I hold off on items until 2017, was planning Black Friday this year for my 1 month off in December