Odd ram issue, anyone encounter this before?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5013 Posts

I have a Sabertooth x58 board, that supports triple channel ddr3. It had 6GB to start with (3x2GB), and I added a 12GB kit for a total of 18GB.

One day, I decided to pull the 6GB kit out, thinking i could perhaps tighten the timings on just the 12 GB kit. Oddly enough, the system wouldn't post at all with just the 12 GB kit, in any configuration.

As soon as I put the 6GB kit back, everything was fine. It's like my computer got pissed off at having ram taken away and went on strike until it was replaced lol.

The two kits are different vendors. One corsair, one Kingston, but they have the same voltage/timings.

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#2  Edited By Xtasy26
Member since 2008 • 5582 Posts

@appariti0n said:

I have a Sabertooth x58 board, that supports triple channel ddr3. It had 6GB to start with (3x2GB), and I added a 12GB kit for a total of 18GB.

One day, I decided to pull the 6GB kit out, thinking i could perhaps tighten the timings on just the 12 GB kit. Oddly enough, the system wouldn't post at all with just the 12 GB kit, in any configuration.

As soon as I put the 6GB kit back, everything was fine. It's like my computer got pissed off at having ram taken away and went on strike until it was replaced lol.

The two kits are different vendors. One corsair, one Kingston, but they have the same voltage/timings.

Try setting everything to default in our BIOS settings as if you would be building a new PC. It could be all the settings you changed in the memory that caused it to not post once the memory was taken out. Maybe check the voltage settings of the RAM. Too high or too low? Try also a different slot, it could be something as benign as that.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5013 Posts

@Xtasy26: Thanks, yeah I didn't actually change any timings from what it was at before removing the 6GB kit, as it refused to post the next time.

I "could" load cmos defaults as you say, but it took me so long to refine this overclock, I probably should just leave it as is, since it's working lol.

Just figured I'd bring it up, as I've never had the issue of no post after removing something, usually it's the opposite!

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

MOBOs hate changes, for the good or for the bad side of it.

I would discharge the rig / clearing CMOS and then try it again, it won't even work because when you mix brands and models it's a lot of headache sometimes until you get it working, switching slots, it's like trial and error. That's why it's most recommended to use the exact same DIMM model from the same brand.