Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

https://wccftech.com/asus-arez-radeon-graphics-cards-production-started/

For those that aren't aware Nvidia has created a contract with companies like Asus, MSI and Gigabyte (so far) https://wccftech.com/nvidia-gpp-ignites-uproar-calls-for-boycott-among-pc-gamers/

The report further claims that graphics card makers and PC builders who do not join NVIDIA’s GPP are denied “high-effort engineering engagements — early tech engagement — launch partner status — game bundling — sales rebate programs — social media and PR support — marketing reports “.

So basically Asus can't use it's STRIX brand on AMD cards so they made a brand new series called AREZ which doesn't differ at all from their STRIX line - and the only change is the sticker on the fans.

Nvidia:

vs AMD:

Dell nor HP are wanting to turn over their gaming brands to NVIDIA. Off the record conversations suggest that both of these companies think that NVIDIA GPP is unethical, and likely illegal as it pertains to anti-competition laws here in the United States. The bottom line is that Dell and HP are very much upset with NVIDIA over GPP, and Dell and HP look to be digging in for a fight.

My own personal opinion is that Nvidia tries to do dirty tricks in order to sell more but that move isn't going to do anything at all, because companies can create new line of cards using the same tech and just changing the brand. If a gamer would pick AMD over Nvidia it's most likely because it'll be cheaper and in budget limit, he will not care if his GPU going to be called STRIX or AREZ - that's why I think the whole GPP is complete waste of time from Nvidia side at this stage.

*Update*

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2018/05/04/gpp/

Looks like Nvidia decided to back off from it's GPP after only 2 months and rage from customers

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

US FTC and EU Commission is investigating NVIDIA's GPP.

EU Commission has another US company to milk $$$$.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#3 BassMan  Online
Member since 2002 • 17796 Posts

Douchebag tactics by Nvidia.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Urgh!!..shit move by Nvidia.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#5 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56039 Posts

But y'all still going to use Nvidia. Butthurt goes out the window under 60fps. I get that this sucks but it's not like it matters if we cant get the best GPU in the first place and Nvidia has the high-end GPU. Blame AMD for not having the best.

urbangamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 urbangamez
Member since 2010 • 3511 Posts

I agree, no need for anyone to lose their minds.

if asus built up their strix rog brand and nvidia wants to give greater incentives for them to use it exclusively on their products fine, as long as nvidia fork's over the money to improve the bottomline, if they don't then they can f off and take their cards with them.

amd must focus on making better cards and continuing to provide software feature sets like gameworks for devs via gpu open, and including stuff like HDAO in radeon settings. also since amd doesn't have money like nvidia and intel work with a single dev like Bethesda to make great games with amd goodies, once other devs see that and realize its cheaper or better because of a lack of propriety bs, they will make a change.

in the end amd needs to realize there is no substitute for quality and efficient use of resources.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ronvalencia

@PredatorRules:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Where-are-all-the-Kaby-Lake-G-laptops-Nvidia-s-GeForce-Partner-Program-may-be-to-blame.300748.0.html

More news on NVIDIA's GPP from notebookcheck.net

We've spoken to three independent and reliable sources close to Notebookcheck and they have all suggested the same reasoning - Nvidia is strongly responsible for keeping Kaby Lake-G from proliferating. Factor in the loud rumors about the anti-competitive terms of Nvidia's GPP, the rumors of HP and Dell keeping their distance from the program, and AMD's own VP acknowledging the leaks and they all strongly point to Nvidia putting a tight lid on the Kaby Lake-G platform.

To date, there have only been 4 major products announced with Kaby Lake-G: The Dell XPS 15 9575, 2018 HP Spectre x360 15, Intel Hades Canyon NUC, and the Chuwi HiGame mini PC. Two of these are not even laptops, the HP and Chuwi systems are not yet shipping, and the NUC is solely an Intel product. This leaves HP and Dell as the only two notable manufacturers with overt Kaby Lake-G plans who also happen to be allegedly backing away from Nvidia GPP. Other major manufacturers like MSI, Zotac, Gigabyte, Asus, Lenovo, Acer, and others have been oddly silent about the processor series. For a product born from an inconceivable partnership between two of the largest PC rivals in history, Kaby Lake-G should have received more attention or at least comments from OEMs everywhere.

The lack of Kaby Lake-G laptops is a shame because the Core i5-8705G and Core i7-8809Gare essentially on par with the Core i7-7700HQ and Core i7-7820HK, respectively, in raw CPU power while the Vega M GL and Vega M GH GPUs are comparable to the GTX 1050and GTX 1060 Max-Q, respectively. A thin gaming notebook designed around Kaby Lake-G would have catered well to budget-mainstream gamers as an alternative option to the usual Nvidia-powered laptop. In fact, the XPS 15 9575 is the first Kaby Lake-G laptop we've tested and it actually runs noticeably cooler and quieter than the GTX 1050-powered XPS 15 9560 while being thinner and nearly as fast.

First impressions of the few Kaby Laky-G products currently shipping are quite promising. Whether or not the platform will take off, however, could be at the mercy of Nvidia and its GPP members.

If AMD has competitive product at 1080 Ti level SKU, I'll switch regardless of NVIDIA has similar level product.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GeryGo  Moderator
@ronvalencia said:

@PredatorRules:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Where-are-all-the-Kaby-Lake-G-laptops-Nvidia-s-GeForce-Partner-Program-may-be-to-blame.300748.0.html

More news on NVIDIA's GPP from notebookcheck.net

We've spoken to three independent and reliable sources close to Notebookcheck and they have all suggested the same reasoning - Nvidia is strongly responsible for keeping Kaby Lake-G from proliferating. Factor in the loud rumors about the anti-competitive terms of Nvidia's GPP, the rumors of HP and Dell keeping their distance from the program, and AMD's own VP acknowledging the leaks and they all strongly point to Nvidia putting a tight lid on the Kaby Lake-G platform.

To date, there have only been 4 major products announced with Kaby Lake-G: The Dell XPS 15 9575, 2018 HP Spectre x360 15, Intel Hades Canyon NUC, and the Chuwi HiGame mini PC. Two of these are not even laptops, the HP and Chuwi systems are not yet shipping, and the NUC is solely an Intel product. This leaves HP and Dell as the only two notable manufacturers with overt Kaby Lake-G plans who also happen to be allegedly backing away from Nvidia GPP. Other major manufacturers like MSI, Zotac, Gigabyte, Asus, Lenovo, Acer, and others have been oddly silent about the processor series. For a product born from an inconceivable partnership between two of the largest PC rivals in history, Kaby Lake-G should have received more attention or at least comments from OEMs everywhere.

The lack of Kaby Lake-G laptops is a shame because the Core i5-8705G and Core i7-8809Gare essentially on par with the Core i7-7700HQ and Core i7-7820HK, respectively, in raw CPU power while the Vega M GL and Vega M GH GPUs are comparable to the GTX 1050and GTX 1060 Max-Q, respectively. A thin gaming notebook designed around Kaby Lake-G would have catered well to budget-mainstream gamers as an alternative option to the usual Nvidia-powered laptop. In fact, the XPS 15 9575 is the first Kaby Lake-G laptop we've tested and it actually runs noticeably cooler and quieter than the GTX 1050-powered XPS 15 9560 while being thinner and nearly as fast.

First impressions of the few Kaby Laky-G products currently shipping are quite promising. Whether or not the platform will take off, however, could be at the mercy of Nvidia and its GPP members.

If AMD has competitive product at 1080 Ti level SKU, I'll switch regardless of NVIDIA has similar level product.

Sadly Nvidia rules the top level GPU market and their upcoming 2080 / 1180 is going to double current Titan Xp performance, thank god AMD got something to offer at low and mid tier GPUs.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ronvalencia

@PredatorRules said:

Sadly Nvidia rules the top level GPU market and their upcoming 2080 / 1180 is going to double current Titan Xp performance, thank god AMD got something to offer at low and mid tier GPUs.

There are rumors Vega 20 being better than Titan XP, but that's sounds like GTX 2080 / 1180 performance level.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127502 Posts

@PredatorRules said:

Double? Won't happen. 20-25% maybe. We won't be seeing the Maxwell to Pascal jump again anytime soon.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

@PredatorRules said:

Not going to happen, going from 16nm to 12nm isnt going to allow maxwell to pascal type level gains 28nm to 16nm. Expect 1180 slightly above gtx 1080ti levels of performance. We seen a two tier jump with pascal from maxwell, so expect only a one tier type of jump with these new gpus.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BassMan  Online

Looks like Nvidia is ending GPP! :)

urbangamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By urbangamez

@BassMan said:

Looks like Nvidia is ending GPP! :)

they wasted a lot of money on nothing, there was literally no serious competition in the enthusiast and performance class gpu market, because of mining and low yields on vega, yet nvidia decided to give a lot of money to companies to promote their gtx cards with their premium brand while amd did nothing except release a video got pc gamers to back them and got a new brand from said companies for themselves lol

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BassMan  Online

@urbangamez: If Nvidia didn't put out a superior product, I would go with AMD just because of the bullshit that Nvidia does.

urbangamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 urbangamez

@BassMan said:

@urbangamez: If Nvidia didn't put out a superior product, I would go with AMD just because of the bullshit that Nvidia does.

I choose amd on the cpu side, not because amd cpu's are better but because intel does the same thing. intel's shade is low key though, but worse. the pricing structure for its cpu's is ridiculous. $339 for an i7 7700k and $349 for the i7 8700k on newegg, intel couldn't knock $40 off the price of the 7700k after all the money gamers spent.

like you i'm choosing an nvidia gpu for my next upgrade though, can't have two low performing components in one build.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#16 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56039 Posts

@BassMan said:

If you want the best GPU, who you gonna go? Nvidia has it, so it's either sink or swim.

Don't get me wrong, I too would go to AMD but sadly, they don't have what I need, so I gotta go Nvidia and like I said above, "Butthurt goes out the window under 60fps"

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ronvalencia

@urbangamez said:
@BassMan said:

I choose amd on the cpu side, not because amd cpu's are better but because intel does the same thing. intel's shade is low key though, but worse. the pricing structure for its cpu's is ridiculous. $339 for an i7 7700k and $349 for the i7 8700k on newegg, intel couldn't knock $40 off the price of the 7700k after all the money gamers spent.

like you i'm choosing an nvidia gpu for my next upgrade though, can't have two low performing components in one build.

I'll plan build/upgrade two machines i.e. one for ~65 inch UHDTV Freesync enabled (most likely be AMD GPU) and other box to replace my GTX 1080 Ti. Both machines has 4K displays.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GeryGo  Moderator

*Update*

Looks like Nvidia decided to back off from it's GPP after only 2 months and rage from customers

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ronvalencia

@PredatorRules said:

*Update*

It's not just the rage from customers. It's the threat from FTC and EU commission.