Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 Skrydis
Member since 2017 • 17 Posts

Hello, everyone.

I need some help in identifying where the bottleneck in my system is. There are games where my loading times takes forever and it there are also some games where I feel like my GTX 1050 can offer more but something in my system's holding it back.

CPU
AMD A8-7600

Memory
HyperX Fury 8.00 GB Dual Channel DDR3 1866 MHz

Motherboard
MSI A68HM-E33 v2

Graphics
Palit GeForce GTX1050 StormX 2GB 128bit DDR5
AMD Radeon R7 Graphics (Disabled)

Storage
Seagate Desktop HDD - ST1000DM003-9YN162 1TB (Single Partition) (255 GB free of 930 GB)

I have long loading times. For example, it takes me around 30 seconds for a map to load in Left 4 Dead 2. My older system that runs an i3-2120, Radeon HD 6570, 6 GB of Memory, same storage (but two partitions) almost loads the maps instantaneously.

Thanks to everyone who'll have a look! :)

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2 PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

Your CPU is the weakest part of your system, but loading times depend mostly on HDD. You can try and defragment it and see if it improves anything. An SSD or a hybrid drive would make everything load a lot faster, of course.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127502 Posts

@PfizersaurusRex said:

Your CPU is the weakest part of your system, but loading times depend mostly on HDD. You can try and defragment it and see if it improves anything. An SSD or a hybrid drive would make everything load a lot faster, of course.

Both CPU and the amount of RAM could be a problem here. Well the CPU is a problem. Could help with 16GB RAM probably.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

As someone who still has 8GB RAM I can safely say your HDD is the thing holding your load times back the most, the difference between my HDD and my SSHD is big and the difference between my SSD and HDD is HUGE in load times.

Your CPU on the other hand is a massive bottleneck, that thing is slower than FX 4/6000 series of CPU's which are offer worse gaming performance than i3 3/4/5 series CPU's from Intel.

You can fix your load times rather simply by buying a cheap 250-500GB SSD from Sandisk, Western Digital or Crucial for $120-250.... The CPU on the other hand would cost you a lot more since you would need a new board and new RAM along with a new CPU.

Skrydis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Skrydis

@Grey_Eyed_Elf: @horgen: @PfizersaurusRex: Thanks!

@PfizersaurusRex said:

I checked my HDD and it doesn't need defragmentation. I wonder then, if I should partition the disk into two just like how it was on my older system.

@horgen said:
Both CPU and the amount of RAM could be a problem here. Well the CPU is a problem. Could help with 16GB RAM probably.

I looked at the CPUs supported by my motherboard and got my sights on an Athlon X4. Or anything that is just enough to relieve the bottleneck. If that makes any sense.

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

As someone who still has 8GB RAM I can safely say your HDD is the thing holding your load times back the most, the difference between my HDD and my SSHD is big and the difference between my SSD and HDD is HUGE in load times.

Your CPU on the other hand is a massive bottleneck, that thing is slower than FX 4/6000 series of CPU's which are offer worse gaming performance than i3 3/4/5 series CPU's from Intel.

You can fix your load times rather simply by buying a cheap 250-500GB SSD from Sandisk, Western Digital or Crucial for $120-250.... The CPU on the other hand would cost you a lot more since you would need a new board and new RAM along with a new CPU.

So here are my options, then:

1. Save money for a new motherboard and CPU.

2. Storage/SSD upgrade.

3. CPU (that is supported by my current motherboard) upgrade.

Thanks again, guys.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 horgen  Moderator

@skrydis said:

So here are my options, then:

2. Storage/SSD upgrade.

Thanks again, guys.

Unless you find a CPU supported by your mobo for next to nothing, I would consider that a waste of money.

Skrydis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Skrydis

@horgen:

@horgen said:

Unless you find a CPU supported by your mobo for next to nothing, I would consider that a waste of money.

Made me look at some articles, comparisons and benchmarks. You're right, it seems. Upgrading to a CPU supported by my current motherboard's just not worth it. Thanks!

2. Storage/SSD upgrade.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 horgen  Moderator

@skrydis: i3 or i5 from the 8th generation from Intel... Or Ryzen... 1600.

The i3 8th gen is 4 cores, i5 is 6 cores. Or get a Ryzen 6 core. DDR4 ram on both platforms.

Skrydis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Skrydis

@horgen:

@horgen said:

The i3 8th gen is 4 cores, i5 is 6 cores. Or get a Ryzen 6 core. DDR4 ram on both platforms.

Alright. Thanks! I'll look into those. But can I know how you came up with the suggestion?

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 horgen  Moderator

@skrydis said:

@horgen:

@horgen said:

Alright. Thanks! I'll look into those. But can I know how you came up with the suggestion?

Eh.. You learn as you go.

Intel bumped up the number of cores with coffee lake, their 8th gen i CPU. Also the lower tiers are usually good bang for buck.

gamespot4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By gamespot4life
Member since 2007 • 1301 Posts

your whole computer is a bottleneck... is your HDD in healthy condition? might want to run a repair on it and defrag just in case.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@horgen said:
@skrydis said:

@horgen:

Eh.. You learn as you go.

Intel bumped up the number of cores with coffee lake, their 8th gen i CPU. Also the lower tiers are usually good bang for buck.

Liar!!!

He's part of the "future people", he lives exactly 4 years ahead of us so he has all this insider information and can make recommendations easily.

Skrydis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Skrydis

@horgen: I see. Thanks!

@gamespot4life said:

your whole computer is a bottleneck... is your HDD in healthy condition? might want to run a repair on it and defrag just in case.

@gamespot4life: I've done error checking and defragmentation. No errors were found and I got 0% on defrag analysis. But yeah, the entire rig is a bottleneck. :D Gotta work on this.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5013 Posts

@skrydis: That whole computer is a bottleneck. I would start with upgrading the board/cpu/ram to either a ryzen 1600, or an i5 8400/8600 depending on budget.

You'll at least be able to run games smoothly, albeit at low resolution/details for now, and can upgrade the GPU later.

Skrydis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Skrydis

@appariti0n:

@appariti0n said:

@skrydis: That whole computer is a bottleneck. I would start with upgrading the board/cpu/ram to either a ryzen 1600, or an i7 8400/8600 depending on budget.

You'll at least be able to run games smoothly, albeit a low resolution/details for now, and can upgrade the GPU later.

Thanks for the reply! I'm quite clueless on what to look for in a motherboard, like, what makes a motherboard good for the long run.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GTR12

@skrydis said:

Thanks for the reply! I'm quite clueless on what to look for in a motherboard, like, what makes a motherboard good for the long run.

Just make sure it supports all the current tech, and don't buy something that's on its way-out.

Eg; Get a mobo that supports current CPU's, not last years (z370 not z270 as an example)

Must support DDR4, not DDR3...

etc etc

You get the point.

gamespot4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 gamespot4life
Member since 2007 • 1301 Posts

@skrydis: When you say you did error checking , did you run a chkdsk /r this will get you the most out of a check disk.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 horgen  Moderator

@GTR12 said:

Liar!!!

He's part of the "future people", he lives exactly 4 years ahead of us so he has all this insider information and can make recommendations easily.

Oh... You're one of them..

Maybe you have discussed this picture in your past, then???

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GTR12

@horgen said:
@GTR12 said:

Liar!!!

Oh... You're one of them..

Maybe you have discussed this picture in your past, then???

You mean the future...??? ;p

Anyways, too far OT now.

mastershake575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mastershake575
Member since 2007 • 8574 Posts

@skrydis said:

@horgen But can I know how you came up with the suggestion?

Most suggestions are just based on whats available in the current market place and your goals/needs. Most everyone who post on here keeps up with reviews/benchmarks of current hardware and looks for both performance & trends.

The 8th generation intel CPU's he was referring to are good choice (i3 8100, i3 8350k, i5 8400, i5 8600k). If you want to stay AMD then I would wait since there releasing new processors in February that are going to fix the only two major issues people had with the Ryzen series (those two issues being low clockrate and memory compatibility). No point in buying a Ryzen chip now when there replacement is due in the coming weeks

Skrydis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Skrydis

@mastershake575: @gamespot4life:

@gamespot4life said:

@skrydis: When you say you did error checking , did you run a chkdsk /r this will get you the most out of a check disk.

I thought you meant the Error Checking tool in the properties. But I did run chkdsk /r yesterday on a restart, viewed the event and it showed no errors. Thanks, by the way!

@mastershake575 said:

The 8th generation intel CPU's he was referring to are good choice (i3 8100, i3 8350k, i5 8400, i5 8600k). If you want to stay AMD then I would wait since there releasing new processors in February that are going to fix the only two major issues people had with the Ryzen series (those two issues being low clockrate and memory compatibility). No point in buying a Ryzen chip now when there replacement is due in the coming weeks

I tried to make a new build in pcpartpicker based on your recommendations and found out that aside from having to get a new motherboard for a better CPU, I'd also need to get new memory. The motherboards that support the CPUs you guys recommended doesn't support my DDR3 memory, according to pcpartpicker, at least. Anyway, thanks for the tip. I'll wait 'til February, then.

mastershake575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mastershake575

@skrydis said:

I'd also need to get new memory. The motherboards that support the CPUs you guys recommended doesn't support my DDR3 memory, according to pcpartpicker, at least.

Both users that made the recommendation did actually tell you that you need DDR4 in there post (see below). Ram prices are super inflated right now so if money's tight when its finally time to buy then you might have to stick with 8GB now and then buy another 8gb later down the road.

@GTR12 said:

Must support DDR4, not DDR3...

@horgen said:

Skrydis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Skrydis

@mastershake575: Man. It feels like building an entire new PC. But at least I now know where the problem is and what I gotta do.

Thanks, everyone.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 horgen  Moderator

I will strongly suggest getting 6 cores on your CPU. 4 cores have been mainstream for very long. It is getting kinda low end.

Skrydis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Skrydis

@horgen:

@horgen said:

I will strongly suggest getting 6 cores on your CPU. 4 cores have been mainstream for very long. It is getting kinda low end.

I'll keep that in mind and look for the one with the best price-performance ratio. Thanks.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#27 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

@glitchedhax88 said:

@skrydis: Have you tried to repair the registry and make sure all unwanted clutter is deleted from caches and temp files. Could always backup important data and do a fresh boot up of the whole OS.

By repair i hope you don't mean deleting. Deleting registry files is a bad idea, redundant ones cause no issues whatsoever, and can cause **** ups if you do.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

@Random_Matt said:
@glitchedhax88 said:

@skrydis: Have you tried to repair the registry and make sure all unwanted clutter is deleted from caches and temp files. Could always backup important data and do a fresh boot up of the whole OS.

By repair i hope you don't mean deleting. Deleting registry files is a bad idea, redundant ones cause no issues whatsoever, and can cause **** ups if you do.

Use something like Ccleaner to remove remnants and unused registry entries and files safely.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-642321fb121ca

@skrydis said:

@horgen:

@horgen said:

I'll keep that in mind and look for the one with the best price-performance ratio. Thanks.

The one i own is the best one in that regard. Obviously a K version for overclocking.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 horgen  Moderator

@Random_Matt said:

The one i own is the best one in that regard. Obviously a K version for overclocking.

Don't forget to delid it if you get a K version and intend to overclock. Also drop that weak air cooling. Get custom water cooling or even better, a phase cooler. :P

And suddenly we are on a budget of 1000$ for the cooling.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-642321fb121ca

@horgen: A phase cooler, you're insane.

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By KOD
Member since 2016 • 2754 Posts

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

It might help with the initial load, but for gaming SSDs don't actually make that big of a difference. Most modern HDDs are able to work as fast as a persons CPU and GPU can go.

@skrydis said:

Graphics

Palit GeForce GTX1050 StormX 2GB 128bit DDR5

AMD Radeon R7 Graphics (Disabled)

Without tinkering with the system i really cant tell you.

Here's my issue, people keep telling you to upgrade and maybe that is a good choice.

BUT, i am amazed that no one has mentioned that L4D2 should have zero problems running on that system. I can run that shit on a dual core from 09 with a damn 610 in it, without issue. We're not talking the new Assassins Creed here guys, we're talking about L4D, one of the best optimized and easiest to run on 10, 13 year old systems. The game does not even break 3GB Ram usage and any DDR3 should be fast enough for it.

Here it is running on a freaking Pentium D system from 05 - youtube.com/watch?v=GXtvMZILhcI

Here's a dual core with a 610 (a 10 dollar video card) - .youtube.com/watch?v=TbhvbHGQCm0

There is clearly something wrong with your system. First thing i'd do is take that R7 out. It might be disabled but its still using power, being read, its still part of the process. Remove it and see what happens. If that does not do anything, when's the last time you reformatted?

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 GTR12

@kod said:

There is clearly something wrong with your system. First thing i'd do is take that R7 out. It might be disabled but its still using power, being read, its still part of the process. Remove it and see what happens. If that does not do anything, when's the last time you reformatted?

You cant take the R7 out, the A8 is an APU.

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By KOD

@GTR12 said:
@kod said:

You cant take the R7 out, the A8 is an APU.

eeeewwwwwww

I didnt even consider it was integrated nastiness.

It still shouldnt have those problems.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 GTR12

@kod said:

eeeewwwwwww

I didnt even consider it was integrated nastiness.

It still shouldnt have those problems.

Read what you just wrote.

Its an APU...

Its not made for games to start with, and its a low-end APU, if it was an A10, sure that's "ok", but its an A8.

mastershake575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By mastershake575
@horgen said:

Yeah six core 8th gen intel or wait for AMD's new 6 core processors that are due to release sometime near February. Quad is technically lowend but for his needs i don't see a modern 4c/8t CPU giving him any issues in the foreseeable future (hell my 5 year old quad core still runs games at max settings while both recording and streaming).

With the consoles using such weak CPU's, I could easily see a current generation quad core lasting another 3 or 4 years with no issues for most users.

Skrydis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Skrydis

@04dcarraher: @Random_Matt:

@Random_Matt said:

@04dcarraher said:

Use something like Ccleaner to remove remnants and unused registry entries and files safely.

I do use CCleaner for that.

@Random_Matt said:

@Random_Matt: And that is?

BUT, i am amazed that no one has mentioned that L4D2 should have zero problems running on that system. I can run that shit on a dual core from 09 with a damn 610 in it, without issue. We're not talking the new Assassins Creed here guys, we're talking about L4D, one of the best optimized and easiest to run on 10, 13 year old systems. The game does not even break 3GB Ram usage and any DDR3 should be fast enough for it.

when's the last time you reformatted?

@kod: Yeah. My older PC that has an i3-2120, HD 6570, same 1 TB storage (but in 2 partitions), 6 GB of memory loads, the maps way faster.

I haven't reformatted ever since getting this system.

@mastershake575 said:

Yeah six core 8th gen intel or wait for AMD's new 6 core processors that are due to release sometime near February. Quad is technically lowend but for his needs i don't see a modern 4c/8t CPU giving him any issues in the foreseeable future (hell my 5 year old quad core still runs games at max settings while both recording and streaming).

With the consoles using such weak CPU's, I could easily see a current generation quad core lasting another 3 or 4 years with no issues for most users.

@mastershake575: Noted, man. Thanks.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 horgen  Moderator

@Random_Matt said:

@horgen: A phase cooler, you're insane.

My post were never made to be taken seriously. But GS bugs out on me and refuses to show the bar above where the text is put in. I wanted to put a small disclaimer in a spoiler.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

@kod: You never said he had issues with framerate with Left 4 Dead 2, he mentioned loading times being longer and that could just account to natural HDD degradation.

Also the SSD was a recommendation because he wants load times which HDD are slow at even compared to SSHD's.

He mentioned performance issues which is due to his CPU bottleneck and he also mentioned long load times which is primarily due to his HDD.

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 KOD

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

@kod: You never said he had issues with framerate with Left 4 Dead 2, he mentioned loading times being longer and that could just account to natural HDD degradation.

Also the SSD was a recommendation because he wants load times which HDD are slow at even compared to SSHD's.

He mentioned performance issues which is due to his CPU bottleneck and he also mentioned long load times which is primarily due to his HDD.

And there's nothing to suggest load times should be bad and as mentioned, SSDs would only help on that initial load, maybe. There are too many moving parts with video games for them to take advantage of SSDs.

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 KOD

@skrydis said:

when's the last time you reformatted?

@kod: Yeah. My older PC that has an i3-2120, HD 6570, same 1 TB storage (but in 2 partitions), 6 GB of memory loads, the maps way faster.

I haven't reformatted ever since getting this system.

And you've had this system for how long?

You think maybe we should reformat the HD? Reinstall windows and software? At this point id be willing to bet this solves your problem, because its clearly not your hardware.

Skrydis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Skrydis
@kod said:

You think maybe we should reformat the HD? Reinstall windows and software? At this point id be willing to bet this solves your problem, because its clearly not your hardware.

@kod: For a year and almost a month now. I currently am not sure on how to go about reinstalling Windows. My brother installed the my OS with a USB drive which I don't have with me or him anymore.

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By KOD

@skrydis said:
@kod said:

@kod: For a year and almost a month now. I currently am not sure on how to go about reinstalling Windows. My brother installed the my OS with a USB drive which I don't have with me or him anymore.

Have him do it. Look it up on microsoft.com. You can download windows 10 free there and it even gives you the installer to put it on a USB

Look, get a new PC if you want, you could probably use one if you plan on playing newer games.

All im saying is that PC should have zero problems with that game loading or FPS, this system should be able to destroy this game. So if you plan on keeping it you need to go through a troubleshooting process, and reformatting the HD would be the first thing id do. Not only because it seems like that's probably the issue, but if its been over a year anyway, you should go ahead and do this.

Skrydis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Skrydis

@kod: Thanks, man. How about creating a partition? On my previous system with the same HD, I got 2 partitions. I read in some places that partitions do make a difference. If what I'm saying doesn't make any sense, I'll go on and look to reformatting the HD.

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 KOD

@skrydis said:

@kod: Thanks, man. How about creating a partition? On my previous system with the same HD, I got 2 partitions. I read in some places that partitions do make a difference. If what I'm saying doesn't make any sense, I'll go on and look to reformatting the HD.

Youll have to create a partition no matter what, personally though, i wouldnt divide it up in an attempt to make two HDs.