Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

I'm looking to rebuild a PC that's housed inside of a wooden cabinet. I'm looking to mount it on the inner wall of the cabinet but I need something that can support the weight of the video card if I do that. I can lay it flat in the cabinet, but I'm looking for something a little bit more durable than that.

It would probably be something that looks like this:

But that one is for a Merlin SM8 case and that bit alone costs about $120 which seems like overkill.

Any ideas?

-Byshop

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

are you looking to buy a motherboard tray or make one yourself?

TrumpTowerLR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By TrumpTowerLR
Member since 2017 • 114 Posts

Why not just get an open air chassis? Like the Thermaltake Core P5

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

you can always get out the power tools and fabricate one out of an old case. That is a badass idea BTW

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5  Edited By pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

Case Labs cases are ridiculously expensive.... I've heard nothing but great things though. I decided not to get one but yes, I seriously considered spending $600 on a case for a few weeks.

If you do get it I would suggest getting some threaded inserts for the thumb screws so you're not threading directly into the wood. I can't think of a better way to make your own and not have it look janky.

You can always look around... I'm sure there are cheaper ones for sale. Or perhaps you could pillage a used case. Find a cheaper case that has a tray and search Ebay.... I couldn't find anything but I did not really look too hard.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Byshop  Moderator

@TheShadowLord07 said:

are you looking to buy a motherboard tray or make one yourself?

Buy, for sure.

@trumptowerlr said:

Why not just get an open air chassis? Like the Thermaltake Core P5

The cabinet is too small for that. Besides, you're an alt account who is now banned so meh.

@_SKatEDiRt_ said:

you can always get out the power tools and fabricate one out of an old case. That is a badass idea BTW

Of course, but there are other projects that require my time and attention.

@pyro1245 said:

Case Labs cases are ridiculously expensive.... I've heard nothing but great things though. I decided not to get one but yes, I seriously considered spending $600 on a case for a few weeks.

If you do get it I would suggest getting some threaded inserts for the thumb screws so you're not threading directly into the wood. I can't think of a better way to make your own and not have it look janky.

You can always look around... I'm sure there are cheaper ones for sale. Or perhaps you could pillage a used case. Find a cheaper case that has a tray and search Ebay.... I couldn't find anything but I did not really look too hard.

Yeah, if a piece of a Case Labs case costs over $100 I can imagine that a full case would cost.

An old case would have worked. There was a company I used to use called Enlight or something like that who made pretty decent cases that I used for all my builds. The entire motherboard tray and expansion slots slid out the back, and I'd used that portion of the case for similar projects in the past.

In this instance I just went ahead and bought the Case Labs. It's more than I wanted to spend but at the end of the day it's not enough money to worry about. I'd rather solve the problem quickly than spend a lot of time on it when I had so many other elements of these projects stacked up. The quality of the Case Logic case portion I bought is really nice. It's all power coated aluminum and the craftsmanship is top notch. Not sure I'd drop $600 on a case like... ever, but they certainly seem nice.

-Byshop

urbangamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 urbangamez
Member since 2010 • 3511 Posts

@Byshop: i've seen some online sellers but i cant vouch for the ligitimacy of their operation or website. here is one, but exercise caution and do some research

http://www.caselabs-store.com/motherboard-trays/

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Byshop  Moderator

For anyone curious, here are the "before" and "after" photos:

The old Q6600 and Ultimarc ArvadeVGA video card. Works fine with a flat motherboard mount.
The old Q6600 and Ultimarc ArvadeVGA video card. Works fine with a flat motherboard mount.
i7 2600K, 980 GTX, and old motherboard mount. Video card is too large and heavy to be supported by just the PCI-E slot. It's too wobbly and I'm concerned it'll pop out.
i7 2600K, 980 GTX, and old motherboard mount. Video card is too large and heavy to be supported by just the PCI-E slot. It's too wobbly and I'm concerned it'll pop out.

i7 2600K, 980 GTX, and new CaseLabs motherboard tray. Video card is secured.
i7 2600K, 980 GTX, and new CaseLabs motherboard tray. Video card is secured.

-Byshop

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

have you found a way to mount the hdd?

urbangamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 urbangamez
Member since 2010 • 3511 Posts

@TheShadowLord07 said:

+1

and anyway to mount the ssd or what seems like an ocz ssd. also is there any way that the psu could be arranged to blow air outside of the cabinet if it is enclosed and will you add an exhaust fan.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

Can you link to where you bought it Byshop?

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Byshop  Moderator

@urbangamez said:
@TheShadowLord07 said:

+1

and anyway to mount the ssd or what seems like an ocz ssd. also is there any way that the psu could be arranged to blow air outside of the cabinet if it is enclosed and will you add an exhaust fan.

I think they are some old OCZ Vertex 4 drives. I've got two SSDs and one HDD. I pulled the drive cage out of an old case and I previous had used that to hold the drives but right now they are just loose. It's only an issue if I move the whole thing.

I haven't figured out what I'm going to do for overall case exhaust yet, but so far not having it hasn't been a problem. I'm running it with the back open but the issue is the monitor is inside the cabinet with the PC itself.

@horgen said:

Can you link to where you bought it Byshop?

Just Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F67O5EI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Looks like they ran out since I bought it but I think there were others.

-Byshop

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@Byshop said:

Just Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F67O5EI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Looks like they ran out since I bought it but I think there were others.

-Byshop

Thanks. Good to know if I want to make my own case one day.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Byshop  Moderator

Here's the front for anyone curious.

-Byshop