Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Xilliana
Member since 2013 • 31 Posts

Hey everyone,

I want to buy a desktop pc for gaming, I have been playing video games on my laptop which is good for games. But I prefer a desktop, and I don't really know much about the best specs.

Do I buy the pc or build it or what exactly? I just don't really know about these things :/

So I would really like to know what should I look for exactly. I want to play games like Skyrim (and use alot of mods), The Witcher and other games.

I'm not looking for a more affordable option, just the best I could get to give me great playing experience and amazing graphics with no issues! :)

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5013 Posts

@Xilliana: do you have an approximate budget in mind?

Xilliana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Xilliana

No, the price is not an issue.

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/FBtp4C

^^With that build you could play any game at 1080p with well over 60 fps. I chose black/white/gray parts for no reason, and I didn't bother looking for best value, I'm sure you can save maybe even a few hundred $$$ with less "premium" parts.

Oh, and if you choose a gigantic CPU cooler like the one in the link you gotta check case and RAM compatibility.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 appariti0n

Here's another option for you. I did not select a secondary hard drive for storage, nor did I select an aftermarket cooler for you. Mostly because my knowledge is a bit out of date as far as what coolers are good for the price.

Keep in mind, this config is in CDN$, so you'd need to convert. But this manages to get the GTX 1080 in there for $1647 USD before tax. Nothing wrong with the GTX 1070, but if you can fit the 1080 into the budget, why not?

Xilliana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Xilliana

Thanks guys, So this is how you build a pc? is it better this way than buying one ready to use? is it more advantages this way?

I honestly don't understand much about parts, so if I would get them do I just go to the store and ask them to put them up together? total newbie in this!

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@Xilliana said:

Thanks guys, So this is how you build a pc? is it better this way than buying one ready to use? is it more advantages this way?

I honestly don't understand much about parts, so if I would get them do I just go to the store and ask them to put them up together? total newbie in this!

This is how you select parts, with a few YouTube videos, you could build it yourself. Its really not that hard, can you build Legos?

Xilliana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Xilliana

Alright thanks, what about the cooler/fan? I seem to always have a problem in my computers when it comes to that part :/

metroid5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 metroid5
Member since 2004 • 950 Posts

He definitely does not need a i7 7700k for 1080p gaming....

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By appariti0n

If you want to learn how to build, then by all means, build it yourself.

It won't be "cheaper" in the grand scheme of things. Not if you factor in your time. But hey if you enjoy it, great!

I would guess it would take a first timer anywhere from 1-3 hours to build a complete system and install windows 10.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GTR12

@Xilliana said:

Alright thanks, what about the cooler/fan? I seem to always have a problem in my computers when it comes to that part :/

Umm you really need to give us a budget, how about 2.5k for everything?

PC tower, monitor, kb/mouse, headphones and whatever else you might like.

You're NOT gaming at 1080p, 1440p MINIMUM, and 120Hz. Its really hard to build a PC without a set budget, anywhere from USD $800 to $20,000 gives you a PC.

We could give you an 8k monitor, but then you might come back and say, that's too much and you'd just be going around in circles.

Xilliana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Xilliana

@GTR12: since I don't have much knowledge when it comes to buying a pc for gaming I'm not sure, I just want great parts that are worth it so that's why I don't want cheaper option. Maybe 3000$ for the pc.

@metroid5:I'm a girl.

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

I think 1080p is fine for up to 24", but with your budget you can get a 27" 1440p Gsync monitor and GTX 1080 Ti. Once you have all the components check some YT guides on how to put them all together. It's how I learned it, and it's really not that hard.

EDIT: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/vwTZKZ

Updated my build, I'm sure all the parts would work, but you need to decide if you want a liquid or air cooler, or a case with side window. That case I picked is quiet, the cooler not so, maybe not the best combo, but it looks kinda cool. :)

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 appariti0n

@Xilliana said:

@GTR12: since I don't have much knowledge when it comes to buying a pc for gaming I'm not sure, I just want great parts that are worth it so that's why I don't want cheaper option. Maybe 3000$ for the pc.

@metroid5:I'm a girl.

$3000 for just the tower? We can config an INSANE pc for that amount.

I'll be back later, will put something together then.

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By KOD
Member since 2016 • 2754 Posts

@Xilliana said:

No, the price is not an issue.

So, is this literal or are you just saying you'd spend 2-2.5k on one?

Because if price is no issue we could come up with some serious systems, if youre wanting something more realistic that would last that is a different story.

EDIT: okay nm, i saw later you said around 3. The (pictured) system appariti0n suggested is a great idea. If you dont know how to put a pc together and you have the money, i suggest going to a pawn shop and picking up a 60-80 pc. Taking it home, tearing it apart and putting it back together again a few times. Then just give it to a friend. The first time it will take a coupel hours probably, but by the third or fourth time, assuming youre competent, it should be down to 15-20 minutes. THEN you build your new computer. With the suggested system, i wouldnt make it my first build. At least practice a bit so you have a better understanding of how things clip in and getting an idea of where all the screws go, etc. its actually a really helpful skill to have and you can expand it to consoles and handhelds if needed.

Another thing you might want to consider is building two systems. If you're willing to spend 3 grand, 1.5k each would build two substantial gaming systems and you could have one as a desktop and one you could hook up to ur tv in the living room. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XMnNFd

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By appariti0n

@Xilliana: Ok, so I still didn't hit $3000 USD. In fact, this comes in just north of $3000 CAD, which is what, $2300 USD?

Anyhow, the reason I did not go any higher, is this build is at the point of SERIOUS diminishing returns.

I was even able to fit in a super fast 500 GB PCI-E ssd for your boot drive, and a second 1TB SSD for games, storage, whatever.

I can't make this system any faster without getting someone to set up a true water cooling setup, and a second video card, and then overclocking the bejesus out of it.

Given you're new to this, I would not recommend SLI or heavy overclocking to a beginner.

The single GTX 1080 ti is already powerful enough to run pretty much anything at 4K 60 FPS on ultra settings, and you could already add another one later if you wish.

For monitor, I'd recommend a good 144 Hz 1440p panel. Acer makes one, so does Asus, and even Dell has a few to check out.

Just for comparison sake, my processor is 8 years older than yours, and my video card is one step down (the 1080) and I can still run any game on the market at 1440p ultra with max settings.

Your system will literally blow mine away.

Edit: not sure why the top is cut off when you click the image, but it's the same case as the first build.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By GTR12

@appariti0n: /facepalm

$3000 for everything, she doesn't have ANYTHING.

@Xilliana Here's another option, if you need a wireless card or speakers/headphones, you should think about it, to save you money. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/WHCMd6

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By appariti0n

@GTR12 /doublefacepalm

@Xilliana said:

Haven't you figured it out yet? Money really isn't an object with this one. Stop trying to save her money lol.

Not to mention my build only comes to $2300 USD anyhow....

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GTR12

@appariti0n: Don't know if you're a troll or are 10 years old or just ignorant.

Having no money limit doesn't mean spending as much as you want, she has said she is new to PC's, having just come from laptop gaming. That has its own things a person expects, and you need to read-between-the-lines for some of it.

A person coming from a laptop who says they want a PC expects the following, tower, OS, monitor and peripherals, and the TC in this situation has said she is not very knowledgeable when it comes to PC parts, yet you want to just spend loads of money just because she has said there's no limit.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 appariti0n

@GTR12: I'm none of those things. Spending time configuring a system for a stranger on the internet would be awfully strange behavior for a troll would it not?

"Maybe 3000$ for the pc" can pretty easily be interpreted as just speaking about the Tower.

And again.... my build came to around $2300 for the tower, plenty of scratch left over for a monitor/keyboard/mouse.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 GTR12

@appariti0n said:

@GTR12: I'm none of those things. Spending time configuring a system for a stranger on the internet would be awfully strange behavior for a troll would it not?

"Maybe 3000$ for the pc" can pretty easily be interpreted as just speaking about the Tower.

And again.... my build came to around $2300 for the tower, plenty of scratch left over for a monitor/keyboard/mouse.

Find a GSYNC monitor for $700 then, and a mechanical KB/Mouse, also add a cooler to your build.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 appariti0n

@GTR12 said:
@appariti0n said:

Find a GSYNC monitor for $700 then, and a mechanical KB/Mouse, also add a cooler to your build.

Don't need to, I'm sure the ones you've chosen work fine, and this isn't a competition. I even stated earlier I'm not up to speed with current CPU coolers.

If the PC I spec'd plus whatever peripherals she picks goes over the arbitrary $3000 budget she's set, I really doubt she'd bat an eye at going over a few hundred $ if the value proposition is sound. When people say more than once that price is no object, that means "Give me the best you can before heavy diminishing returns kick in."

This is usually the type of person who would pay $20,000 easily, if that computer was even say, 50% faster, than the $5000 one. And trust me, I've ran into tons of folks like this in my sales career.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By GTR12

@appariti0n: You and sales lololol

Again, you're still missing the point, TC asked GS people, why not go straight to Alienware or the HP Omen if "you can spend whatever"?

Its not "whatever", she wants the best value, and you get the best value by asking a non-specific gaming forum.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 appariti0n

@GTR12: Yes, Sales.

As for you, please never go into sales. You would be terrible.