Is a center channel necessary for modern gaming or is 2.1 stereo still adequate?

oldskooler79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By oldskooler79
Member since 2004 • 1632 Posts

I ask because I'm unsure how modern games are *still* designed. Games like Gears of War 4, Dishonored 2, Doom, etc.. do modern games like these have an actual stereo option in the menu or are they like movies on blu-ray where some of them only have a 5.1 track and aren't optimized for stereo? If that's the case then it must downmix and if you only have a 2.0/2.1 setup then it isn't ideal due to voices being too low, explosions too loud, dynamic range, etc so this is why I have a center channel for watching movies (3.1 setup).

But how about AAA games in the past couple years? Is there any compromise using a 2.1 setup in this day and age or not? I realize I won't get the surround effect, but I could spend more cash on better front left/right speakers, and a general question I would like answered.

Also, I'm not really interested in headphones so this question is for those of you running bookshelf speakers or better with good range, and regarding both pc and console gaming. Thanks!

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

@oldskooler79: Even in old games like half life 2, 5.1 is taken advantage of as you can hear things from every side of you with my 5.1

2.1 is fine but if you want real surround 5.1 is the way to go

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3  Edited By pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

I would like a surround system, but it is very low of the priority list.

I always will take a great set of 2.0 speakers over a mid-range surround system. Got them Bose 301s. mmmmmmm. Could use a smallish sub I suppose. And maybe some rear L/R speakers eventually.

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

I don't know about consoles, but there are no compromises when you use stereo speakers on a PC. I never noticed anything weird when watching movies, they are downmixed to stereo and they sound just fine to me. In fact if you get a 5.1 setup then you compromise sound quality. Or pay like 3x the price.

oldskooler79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 oldskooler79
Member since 2004 • 1632 Posts

@PfizersaurusRex said:

I don't know about consoles, but there are no compromises when you use stereo speakers on a PC. I never noticed anything weird when watching movies, they are downmixed to stereo and they sound just fine to me. In fact if you get a 5.1 setup then you compromise sound quality. Or pay like 3x the price.

I realize a 5.1 setup may compromise sound quality. But I simply bought a matching 3rd bookshelf speaker and placed it under the tv for a center channel. Since it matches the front left/right and has better quality than your typical 5.1 speakers then it's a positive thing for movies. I was just wondering about games, and if that center channel (3rd identical speaker in my case) is necessary for proper voices in new games, as how they were mastered etc.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#6  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17805 Posts

Center channel is not necessary as most games do not dedicate voices to that channel anyway. Games are more about positional audio when it comes to adding more speakers. 2.1 setup will do you just fine unless you are wanting a full surround setup (5.1 and up).

joseph_mach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 joseph_mach
Member since 2003 • 3898 Posts

My humble opinion:

Games = 2.1 is more than fine.

Movies, etc.= 5.1 is a nice bonus.

KeithRusso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 KeithRusso
Member since 2017 • 3 Posts

@BassMan: I'd agree the 2.1 speakers are okay, unless you want to spend the extra money for upgrades you don't really need