Jr14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jr14
Member since 2004 • 2148 Posts

I already have the i5 4690K. So I was wondering a few things. My games have been freezing found out I just had turbo on my CPU set to high fixed that games stopped freezing now they are freezing again just not as frequently. So i don't know if that damaged the CPU any or if it's my gpu messing up. I'm also going to get the upcoming Pascal GPU's when they release and I didn't know if my i5 4690K would bottleneck the gpu. I read good reviews about the i7 5775C for gaming. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I don't care forking over the extra money if it's a better CPU, and more future proof than my i5 4690K.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12809 Posts

Pascal GPUs won't bottleneck any last gen i5 CPUs.

Get i5 6600K if anything, not an actual upgrade but since your CPU is damaged.

BTW do you still have warrenty on the CPU? it's pretty new 90 series so you should just RMA it.

Jr14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Jr14

@PredatorRules: I have no clue if I got a warranty on it. Bought it back in like February I think.

I don't think the i5 6600K is compatible with my mobo.

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts

@Jr14 said:

@PredatorRules: I have no clue if I got a warranty on it. Bought it back in like February I think.

Each CPU has a number on it that ties into the warranty.

If you go to intel's website you can register you CPU and RMA it to get a replacement.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12809 Posts

@Jr14 said:

Intel CPUs got like 3-5 years warranty so.. yeah you could RMA it.

I know it's not compatible but going from i5 to i7 with no editing purposes is throwing money.

Jr14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jr14

@PredatorRules: ok thanks il check.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

I doubt your cpu is the problem, I have never seen a defective cpu.

Jr14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Jr14

@JigglyWiggly_: think it could be my gpu then? Don't really know what else it could be drivers are all up to date.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

What gpu are you using? Run some stress tests and check your temperature for cpu and gpu. If it isn't that, it's more likely to be your hard drive if you aren't using a ssd.

joseph_mach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 joseph_mach
Member since 2003 • 3898 Posts

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

I doubt your cpu is the problem, I have never seen a defective cpu.

Agreed. When a cpu fails, it's most certainly going to completely fail rather than just partially fail. Try pulling out the video card and just run off the integrated graphics for awhile. If you still see the issue happening, then Jiggly's comment about the hard drive is probably the most likely suspect. If you don't see it happening, then you may be having a video card issue.

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#11 insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

Current Intel CPUs usually have a 3 year warranty on em, replace it for a new one if anything.
Your i5 will NOT be bottlenecked by Pascal/Next Gen GPUs.
If you want to "upgrade" then sell your 4690K (once it's replaced) and get a 4790K, 6600K is not an upgrade and has a new socket.
Are you keeping an eye on your CPU/GPU temps?
BTW what GPU are using and is it overclocked? Your CPU is at stock speed, right?

Jr14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Jr14

@JigglyWiggly_: I'm using an Evga SC 980 and my operating system and drivers are on my SSD, and games are saved to my hard drive. I had to do a clean install when upgrading to win 10 so idk if that's the case or if it's my new SSD. It's weird though computer only freezes during gaming. Can be surfing the web or watching a video and no freezes. Tried repairing the game and also reinstalling it. It isn't as bad now as it was before though.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127513 Posts

@Jr14 said:

@JigglyWiggly_: I'm using an Evga SC 980 and my operating system and drivers are on my SSD, and games are saved to my hard drive. I had to do a clean install when upgrading to win 10 so idk if that's the case or if it's my new SSD. It's weird though computer only freezes during gaming. Can be surfing the web or watching a video and no freezes. Tried repairing the game and also reinstalling it. It isn't as bad now as it was before though.

Could the game be saved to a bad sector on the HDD? Can you try installing the game on the SSD to see if it helps. Alternatively install it on another HDD and see if that helps.

wkwan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 wkwan
Member since 2008 • 155 Posts

get something like HWMonitor and check your CPU temps. should be below 40C idling around 70C on load. Bad cooling (thermal paste/ broken fan/ very dirty) will often make your computer slow