I think I made a mistake (GTX 1080ti)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AGM3002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By AGM3002
Member since 2003 • 901 Posts

Ok last year I was going to buy a gtx 1080ti card, saw a lot of them for $700, $750 and, up. My dumb self decided to wait for the prices to go down, well today I went to lookup the prices and now they are all now over one grand! So am I out of luck? Will the prices eventually go back down??

EDIT: Just realized this is my first post in over 3 years, had no idea it been that long!!

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#2  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17806 Posts

Now is the worst time to buy a new video card. The prices are inflated due to crypto currency miners buying them all up. Nvidia still sells their own cards at MSRP, but it is difficult to find them in stock. Next best bet is to maybe find a used one that someone is selling for a decent price.

Pcmasterrace69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 Pcmasterrace69
Member since 2017 • 373 Posts

I got friends waiting for a better deal on g4560 or simply a new version to come out and missed the 59€ cpu with 4 threads. now it costs 90-95€.

Waiting in 2017 was a bad choice for pc fans in general

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@Yams1980 said:

If your a miner and reading this, know that you are animals and worse than ISIS and are going to hell for sure.

Oh boo hoo, cry some more.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@Yams1980 said:
@GTR12 said:
@Yams1980 said:

If your a miner and reading this, know that you are animals and worse than ISIS and are going to hell for sure.

you support what miners are doing?

They aren't holding a gun to your head, or stealing, killing anyone nor committing a crime, its a legitimate business to them and its nor physically or mentally hurting anyone, so yeah I don't mind.

StandChelo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By StandChelo
Member since 2018 • 4 Posts

@BassMan said:

Now is the worst time to buy a new video card. The prices are inflated due to crypto currency miners buying them all up. Nvidia still sells their own cards at MSRP, but it is difficult to find them in stock. Next best bet is to maybe find a used one that someone is selling for a decent price.

I thought all this stuff with miners has calmed down by now..

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#9 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17806 Posts
@standchelo said:
@BassMan said:

I thought all this stuff with miners has calmed down by now..

Unfortunately not. Nvidia predicts it will be crazy up until Q3 2018.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

@GTR12 said:
@Yams1980 said:
@GTR12 said:
@Yams1980 said:

They aren't holding a gun to your head, or stealing, killing anyone nor committing a crime, its a legitimate business to them and its nor physically or mentally hurting anyone, so yeah I don't mind.

Other than wasting a bunch of electricity for no reason.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@JigglyWiggly_ said:
@GTR12 said:
@Yams1980 said:
@GTR12 said:
@Yams1980 said:

Other than wasting a bunch of electricity for no reason.

More than what Ireland uses I believe.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

Your best chance is to avoid places like Newegg and Amazon. Try to buy direct from Nvidia, EVGA, etc... Or you could try a local hardware store like MicroCenter if there are any in your area.

That's my plan anyway... Let's try not to get too ripped-off.

Mickeyminime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#14  Edited By Mickeyminime
Member since 2008 • 1581 Posts

I bought mine at the beginning of Jan 2018 from Scan. Mine was only about £760 at the time. I went back on scan today to see if the price has changed for the very same item i paid for and it has actually gone up a whooping £994. All the 1080ti cards have increased in price. Hopefully it will go down eventually, but i do feel you lost out. Maybe try ebay or something. Keep browsing and maybe one might pop up thats a good enough price