How do I avoid anti-static discharge in my situation?

melis002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By melis002
Member since 2017 • 48 Posts

So I live in an apartment where the whole floor is covered with carpet. And I want to remove my CPU fan to add thermal paste on my CPU without causing anti-static discharge. I can put my pc case on a desk to work on it and I have an anti-static wristband. What else can I do to ensure that I won't cause an anti-static discharge on my PC? Can I put a hard surface on the carpet to stand on it when I open my PC Case?

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5013 Posts

@melis002: That's more than enough.

To be honest, I've NEVER used an anti-static wristband, I just make sure I ground myself out on something metal before touching any components and it's been perfectly fine.

melis002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 melis002

@appariti0n: Do you mean that you put a metal object on your desk and touch it while working on your pc? If so, how heavy does the metal object need to be?

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By appariti0n

@melis002: Easiest is to leave your pc plugged in, but flick the power switch on the power supply to off.

Then touch the side/bottom of the case before beginning work, and any electricity should ground out through the power cord to the wall.

melis002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 melis002

@appariti0n: I am now confused because I have a friend who told me that I should unplug my pc before opening the case, so that I don't cause the components to short circuit.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By appariti0n

Nope, leaving the power supply plugged in offers a very easy route for static electricity to safely escape.

Edit: just make damn sure the physical switch on the power supply is set to off.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

For starters, its called "Static discharge", anti-static means the opposite.

Its 2017... static-discharge isn't going to do anything to the components, you could rub your feet and wear a woollen sweater, gloves and socks and change stuff, its not going to do anything.

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

@GTR12: can you verify this? i too am curious as i always work on carpet and have never shorted anything out

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GTR12

@_SKatEDiRt_ said:

@GTR12: can you verify this? i too am curious as i always work on carpet and have never shorted anything out

No I cant, but how many incidents have you heard of ESD ruining components in the last few years? if it was a major issue, you'd hear about it.

Don't take it to the extreme like I said, just use common sense and it'll be fine. Like you said, you always work on carpet and nothing has shorted out.

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

@GTR12: true. well if its real then im one happy camper

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@GTR12 said:
@_SKatEDiRt_ said:

No I cant, but how many incidents have you heard of ESD ruining components in the last few years? if it was a major issue, you'd hear about it.

Don't take it to the extreme like I said, just use common sense and it'll be fine. Like you said, you always work on carpet and nothing has shorted out.

It's about minimizing the risk for it to happen.

@appariti0n said:

Nope, leaving the power supply plugged in offers a very easy route for static electricity to safely escape.

Edit: just make damn sure the physical switch on the power supply is set to off.

Leave it plugged in to the wall, but unplugg every power cable inside the case. Just touch it once in a while during work I guess.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#12 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Just touch your case to ground yourself. Don't rub your feet and you should be fine.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

If I'm going to work on the CPU, I usually disassemble my unplugged PC enough so that I can take out the motherboard. Then, I set the components on my big wood desk. To discharge any static, I touch the PC case metal just before I work on a PC component. Sufficient enough to me.

Aside from plugging in cables and putting in RAM, I never work on the motherboard when it's inside the case.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GTR12

@appariti0n said:

@appariti0n: Oh btw, do you know how much thermal paste to use? Most people use waaaaay too much.

You just quoted yourself lol

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

Well sounds like you should be good with the mat. That will ensure there is no voltage difference between you and the parts you touch.

You can also get some Staticide. I use it at work in the winter to keep static from building up when walking on carpet. It seems to cut down on door knob shocks.

https://www.amazon.com/ACL-Staticide-Regular-Topical-Anti-Stat/dp/B00BR55D5E/ref=sr_1_1?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1492975457&sr=1-1&keywords=anti%2Bstatic%2Bspray&th=1