Help me pick some new PC parts!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheProdigy619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheProdigy619
Member since 2010 • 317 Posts

Hey GS, I was recently about to order several new parts to build a new PC but since I've been out of the loop for a while I really would like a little help finalizing my decisions. I am going to be buying a new CPU/cooler, MOBO, RAM, SSD, case, and eventually a new optical drive as well. Here are my thoughts so far, please give me yours! Recommendations and opinions are greatly appreciated!

CPU: i7 5930k

I want something that has 40 PCI lanes so if i decide to crossfire or run a lot of stuff via pci-e I am able to run them at the highest bandwidth. Also want some peace of mind that the CPU will be relevant for a long time.

Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S

This was just what was most commonly bought with the 5930k on newegg so I figured it would suffice

MOBO: MSI X99A MPOWER

This seemed to be a good board for the price but I am now thinking that a lot of the boards have very similar features and I've been hearing that ASUS's sockets are really great so if there is an ASUS board that has the same/similar features as that MSI I think i would be better off with that? I will be posting some ASUS alternatives ASAP

MOBO Alternative: ASUS ROG Rampage V Extreme

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16gb (4x4) DDR4 3333

switched to 16gb as per recommended by @Bikouchu35

SSD: Samsung 950 evo M.2 pci-e 3.0x4 512gb

I am really excited about the size/speed of this SSD and don't think there are any better/cheaper m2 pci-e ssd options?

Case: Cooler Master HAF X

This seems like a spacious case with nice sized stock fans and good air flow at a decent price. LMK if there is something else I should take a look at.

Optical: LG WH16NS40

This was recommended to me in a previous thread i made when I was about to order my parts

Basically, I feel pretty confident about my selections excluding my mother board. I would really like some help picking out the best MOBO I can get for my set up and plans. I basically want to be covered for any future upgrades I may want to make and ensure I'm getting something with a lot of awesome features available. I don't want to skimp on any of these parts, I'm trying to make this PC as beast as it can be within reason. Also, just an FYI, I will be buying a new GPU when the new models hit the market this summer. Since I recently upgraded to the ASUS MG279Q which is a free sync monitor I will be going with whatever AMD puts out. I am currently using 2x HD 7870's but since crossfire sucks SO much I only ever have 1 enabled.

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

I'll go ahead and get 16gb anyways. Web surfing and some other programs had my ram up to 12gb already. I'll even go for a lower speed to save money if its just for gaming.

You can also checkout corsair's closed loop water coolers.

o.o thats pretty amazing speed for ssd. Though I'm not sure what you are going to do with all that speed. I'd rather get the cheaper 850s samsung, but thats just me.

As for the case I recommend h440 nzxt its pretty big for a mid tower. Cleanest sleekest case out there imo, but it lacks dvd bay. I hardly use optical drives myself anyway, so if I needed one than I hook up my internal drive to usb with sata converter.

TheProdigy619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By TheProdigy619

@Bikouchu35 said:

I'll go ahead and get 16gb anyways. Web surfing and some other programs had my ram up to 12gb already. I'll even go for a lower speed to save money if its just for gaming.

You can also checkout corsair's closed loop water coolers.

o.o thats pretty amazing speed for ssd. Though I'm not sure what you are going to do with all that speed. I'd rather get the cheaper 850s samsung, but thats just me.

As for the case I recommend h440 nzxt its pretty big for a mid tower. Cleanest sleekest case out there imo, but it lacks dvd bay. I hardly use optical drives myself anyway, so if I needed one than I hook up my internal drive to usb with sata converter.

really appreciate the input!

Do you have any advice on a MOBO? this is the area I feel I need the most help with because I am unsure of the most useful/current features. I have heard really nice things about overclocking w/ the ASUS socket so I think I want to try one of these boards.

I am really hyped on the SSD so I'm stickin to my guns there :p but I upgraded to 16GB RAM

I will look into water cooling but that will most likely be something that I do later on if at all, never looked into it b4.

I am pretty committed to a full tower case this time around because I just feel like it may pay off at some point plus I like the size of the stock fans as well as the placement with the hafx (230mm front*** / 200mm top / 200mm side*** / 140mm rear)

TheProdigy619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TheProdigy619

WOW I had all the items listed linked but now none of them are??? this has happened b4, why are the items listed no longer links????

I just re-linked everything, please don't un-link everything again GS ><

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9394 Posts

950 pro is baller.

If it were me i'd ditch the optical drive. heh. I prefer cases that use the entire front for airflow. I haven't used a CD is like 5 years.

adaptive sync is awesome.

water cooled is always a nice option if you have a window. It will make your setup look less cluttered if you can hide the radiator up top. Will maybe cost you $50 more. I have a corsair h110 on my 6700k and it runs very cool. Although it does make some pump noise every now and then.

TheProdigy619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TheProdigy619

@pyro1245 said:

950 pro is baller.

If it were me i'd ditch the optical drive. heh. I prefer cases that use the entire front for airflow. I haven't used a CD is like 5 years.

adaptive sync is awesome.

water cooled is always a nice option if you have a window. It will make your setup look less cluttered if you can hide the radiator up top. Will maybe cost you $50 more. I have a corsair h110 on my 6700k and it runs very cool. Although it does make some pump noise every now and then.

thanks for the info, i will really consider water cooling down the road. Got any advice on a MOBO?

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Coseniath
Member since 2004 • 3183 Posts

@TheProdigy619: Hello.

I would strongly advise you not to buy an Extreme CPU now.

ASRock reveals Intel Broadwell-E desktop CPU lineup

Broadwell-E is around the corner and we will soon have them.

Also Noctua NH-U14S is a great cooler if you want full memory clearance.

I would suggest, if you want an air cooler, to take a look on this too: Noctua NH-D15S

TheProdigy619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TheProdigy619

@Coseniath said:

@TheProdigy619: Hello.

I would strongly advise you not to buy an Extreme CPU now.

ASRock reveals Intel Broadwell-E desktop CPU lineup

Broadwell-E is around the corner and we will soon have them.

Also Noctua NH-U14S is a great cooler if you want full memory clearance.

I would suggest, if you want an air cooler, to take a look on this too: Noctua NH-D15S

great thanks a lot, im not in a huge rush so i can wait for new tech if its right around the corner. tyvm!