Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/amd-moving-to-12nm-vega-and-ryzen-in-2018.html

AMD moving to 12 nm LP FinFET for Vega and Ryzen in Q1 2018.

urbangamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 urbangamez
Member since 2010 • 3511 Posts

10% improvement in performance, not a lot. but if one can afford to wait for next years products based on this new development then its prolly better to do so rather than purchasing vega or ryzen now

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

Will they announce an update to current lineup or do it silently?

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5013 Posts

@ronvalencia: I thought they were planning to hit 7 nm by 2H 2018?

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

@urbangamez said:

10% improvement in performance, not a lot. but if one can afford to wait for next years products based on this new development then its prolly better to do so rather than purchasing vega or ryzen now

10% for ryzen will be right in line with the competition :D but they are going to have to do more vega.

I'm at the weird crossroad on either waiting or buying now with the cpu without knowing the exact release date, it could be q2 knowing how timely amd does things.

mastershake575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6  Edited By mastershake575
Member since 2007 • 8574 Posts

I can't keep up with what AMD wants

News was originally 7nm risk production late this year/early next year with Zen 2 possibly coming Summer/Fall 2018.

Was then told the chips next year will be called Zen+ (not Zen 2) and it will basically be a more efficient 14nm refresh

Now the link your posting is saying 12nm chips 2018 and no confirmation on whether its Zen+ or Zen 2.

I hope AMD skips the refresh and gets zen 2 out. There next Ryzen is going to have to compete with Coffee Lake and Canon Lake which look like fucking killers.

Knowing AMD, there probably going to release a slight upgrade next year and then push Zen 2 till 2019 (once again, being behind the curve). I hope i'm wrong and they are more aggressive.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5013 Posts

When I first saw AMD's roadmap, claiming they would be at 7 nm by the end of 2018 I just laughed.

If Intel is taking this long getting to 10 nm, I knew there was no way in hell AMD would be able to leapfrog them. Not with 1/12th the R&D budget.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ronvalencia

@mastershake575 said:

News was originally 7nm risk production late this year/early next year with Zen 2 possibly coming Summer/Fall 2018.

Was then told the chips next year will be called Zen+ (not Zen 2) and it will basically be a more efficient 14nm refresh

Now the link your posting is saying 12nm chips 2018 and no confirmation on whether its Zen+ or Zen 2.

I hope AMD skips the refresh and gets zen 2 out. There next Ryzen is going to have to compete with Coffee Lake and Canon Lake which look like fucking killers.

Knowing AMD, there probably going to release a slight upgrade next year and then push Zen 2 till 2019 (once again, being behind the curve). I hope i'm wrong and they are more aggressive.

12nm LP FinFET could be refined 14 nm FinFET with minor geometry improvements.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ronvalencia

@appariti0n said:

When I first saw AMD's roadmap, claiming they would be at 7 nm by the end of 2018 I just laughed.

If Intel is taking this long getting to 10 nm, I knew there was no way in hell AMD would be able to leapfrog them. Not with 1/12th the R&D budget.

GoFlo's 14 nm FinFET tech comes from Samsung.

Samsung is the world's second largest semi-conductor company after Intel.

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

@mastershake575 said:

I always thought it was going to be zen+ then zen2 anyway. I didn't even expect 12nm, but I guess thats what the refresh 14nm is. I wouldn't worry about Coffee Lake, but rather Canon Lake if I was amd. We had already seen what 6+ cores is going to be like with skylake x and it isn't running away from amd especially since it isn't cheap anymore for their i5/i7.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ronvalencia

@mastershake575 said:

AMD needs to increase Ryzen clock speed beyond 4.1 Ghz and TR's 4.2 Ghz.