mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 49074 Posts

I've been watching a lot of the animated Superman movies on HBO Max (so nice they have a lot of the DC material on there) and I have to say...I really admire Lex Luthor, at least as a villain.

The guy has no super powers outside of his wicked-smart intellect, but somehow manages to do a lot of damage. Lex seems like a master of using peoples' weaknesses against them, like for example using Superman's weakness to kryptonite, but also bending the rules because he knows Superman won't kill him.

A great villain is, in a lot of ways, like a best friend; they know everything about you, you see them regularly, and they've been with you for the best and worst of times. They only difference arguably is that instead of wanting what's best for you like a friend does, a villain just want's what is worst for you.

Additionally, imo all the great villains think they are doing good. They're more "ends justify the means" types compared to the heroes, but I think Lex honestly wants the best for humanity...just under his control.

Anyway, I know Lex Luthor isn't the coolest villain or the most capable, it just provided inspiration for this thread. Plus a comic, film, game, and show is only as good as it's villain. Part of the reason ME: Andromeda was such a disappointment is because the main antagonist was just lame.

So, what's your favorite villain? Can be from a comic book, show based on comic book, graphic novel, and so on.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 6098 Posts

I guess I like Brainiac, because he's super smart (unlike me).

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#3 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 10471 Posts

Probably vegeta.

warmblur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 warmblur
Member since 2017 • 6683 Posts

Mr. Freeze he's cool.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mrbojangles25

@warmblur said:

Mr. Freeze he's cool.

Hahahahaha I see what you did there.

He is neat, though, and kind of a tragic character as well. I mean, what wouldn't we do for our loved ones?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#6 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 43700 Posts

Probably Bane. Knightfall was the first proper comic book read that wasn't the beano or the odd issue pickup at the local shop shelf.

Shocking seeing Batman get beat. He a has a cool backstory well. I believe it was re-written to echo an anti-Bruce Waynes.

The Nolan movie (thought a massively bloated mess) really taps into the idea that Bane is what Bruce could have been if he gave into despair. Which is like, the entire point of the movie but it get buried under convoluted nonsense.

Loading Video...

Although they move it from the mansion and Bane no longer uses Venom, it's a really great version of the scene where Bruce is worn out and getting hammered.

Honestly think this movie would have been amazing if they cut half the shit out of it. Catwomans identity, thing? Talia Ghul? Police wars? Nuclear bombs?

I donno. It's a mess.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 12916 Posts

I really like the villains from Spider-Man. There were some villains that gave me the creeps when I was a kid like the Kingpin, Doctor Octopus and Carnage. Venom was terrifying enough, having Spider-Man's powers, as well as knowing his thoughts (identity) and feelings. To have a symbiote bond with a serial killer though....

With Batman, I like most of the villains. I like dark stuff and Batman succeeds in delivering that with the setting, story and characters (villains).

I'm not a fan of Superman but I can easily say that Brainiac is my favourite villain from that universe. Superman is a boring hero because he's so strong. It's easy to compensate that with a villain that is smarter. It's either that or have a villain that's even stronger, also boring. The only Lex I liked portrayed was that from Smallville. Knowing the general story of Superman, having a show where Clark Kent and Lex Luthor were friends when they were young was fascinating. It's probably the main thing that attracted me to that show. Just went on too long.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mrbojangles25

@uninspiredcup:yeah comic book Bane has a neat origin iirc. Wasn't he a kid in prison or something and his parents are dead, and he basically had to learn to be crafty and kickass to survive. I forgot where the venom drug comes into play though. Was he experimented on and forced to compete in bloodsport? Can't remember.

As you said, it's what Batman would have become had he gone in a different direction. I'm sure there is an argument for socioeconomic status as well, since Bane was in debtor's prison iirc.

@SOedipus: Spider-Man villains always seemed a little bit scummier (in a good way) than other comic book series, I don't know why.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 33549 Posts

Kind of a three way tie for me with Magneto and Apocalypse from X-Men and Green Goblin from Spider-Man. There’s quite a few villains that I really dig from Marvel.

ProtossRushX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ProtossRushX
Member since 2007 • 8595 Posts

Thanos, Ultron, Killmonger, Doc Ock, Sandman, Scorpion, Magneto, Joker

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 43700 Posts

@mrbojangles25: Pretty much. Although it was rebooted depending on what comic series go with, the premise is generally the same.

Gets put in prison as a child with his mother, who's killed. Becomes completely self-sufficient, being brought up in brutal setting compared to Bruce Wayne in a corrupts prison, kills the warden and co.

Basically taught a kind of hierarchy mentally where morality is irrelevant.

A lot of that stuff Nolan got right. At the start of Dark Knight Rises Bruce Wayne is broken. He has to overcome his despair bla bla bring hope back to Gotham going through a similar regime as Bane never giving up hope no matter how many times he fails. Meanwhile, Bane acting out on it.

They really should have kept it that simple. Despair/Hope. Instead what is a cool concept gets buried under a pile of shit. Smaller story, about 35 odd minutes of the movie shaved off, Talia al Ghul removed entirely. Catwoman removed entirely. Weird solar thing, removed entirely. Sub-plot with Joseph Gordon-Levitt expanded upon where it's not jumping all over the place. Filling the void without Battyman around earning the cowl for his eventual retirement that doesn't feel as hollow as it did.

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 1311 Posts

Green Goblin. Spider-Man has been my favorite since kindergarten years. Goblin has always been his best villain. A great look and cool weapons. Brilliant while also certifiably insane. Almost a composite of Joker and Lex Luthor. Killed Spider-Man's 1st love by throwing her off a bridge. After years of douchebaggery, villainy and criminal insanity he was still able to convince the American people to elect him President.

I have to give a mention to the Ventriloquist from Batman's Rouges. A schizophrenic frail old man with the mind of a 40's / 50's gangster that is only able to manifest through a wooden puppet. Is both a whiny fop and a hardened gangster at the same time. Great character.

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 1547 Posts

Ultron California. I watched the real deal off the strength of that trailer. It was alright I suppose but a bit low on belly laughs.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 4401 Posts

Purple Man from Alias (Killgrave from Jessica Jones). Guy has the power to make people do whatever he wants and instead of taking over the world or at least becoming some sex cult leader, he just kinda faps around being a douche. It's weirdly real. Having power doesn't necessarily translate into having a plan. You get whatever you want your whole life, it just makes you an asshole. I find him more terrifying than the typical plotting narcissists or killing machines we see so much of in comics.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 7946 Posts

Thanos (marvel movie universe). He has a plan and it's not "I'm bad, I wanna rule the world" simple shit, and he truly believes he's right and what he's doing is going to benefit the universe even if people can't see it. I like that you can almost root for him if you look at it through his eyes.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mrbojangles25

@vfighter said:

Thanos (marvel movie universe). He has a plan and it's not "I'm bad, I wanna rule the world" simple shit, and he truly believes he's right and what he's doing is going to benefit the universe even if people can't see it. I like that you can almost root for him if you look at it through his eyes.

Yea. Hell man, I support Thanos on principle about 50% of the time throughout my daily life. Make 50% of all living creatures disappear. **** it, no one will care enough in 50 years to let it ruin their lives.

In the movies, he retired to a freaking farm. They even made fun of it in the movie "Oh great, Thanos retires to his garden" or something like that haha. That's not something a megalomaniac does, merely something someone does who has spent their life working incredibly hard.

The first month of COVID is what I think about sometimes if Thanos was real. Skies are clear, water is cleaner, there's no traffic and very few cars in general. In the movie, they pointed out about how people were starting to see the upside to Thanos ("If you tell me to look on the upside, I'm going to throw my sandwich at you" means she is tired of hearing it) such as seeing a pod of whales in the bay.

TL;DR: Thanos (of the MCU, at least) is probably the most sympathetic villain I've seen in a long time.

Skarwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#17 Skarwolf
Member since 2006 • 2428 Posts

Theres a comic book series called Irredeemable where the villain is basically the equivalent of Superman who goes insane. Turns on his team & the world.

His name is the Plutonian and hes kinda like the Molecule Man of Marvel & Superman of DC. His power is whatever he wills it.

The story takes a somewhat realistic approach to a super powered being. At one point they show how with super hearing he’s constantly listening to people dying that he cannot save. But he just ignores and suppresses it.

The story begins with his former team hiding and fearing for their lives with flashbacks to how it happened and the Plutonians tragic backstory and why he eventually loses his shit and turns on the world.

Definitely worth checking out. Plenty of twists & pretty good story. Not for kids.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 124722 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:
@vfighter said:

Yea. Hell man, I support Thanos on principle about 50% of the time throughout my daily life. Make 50% of all living creatures disappear. **** it, no one will care enough in 50 years to let it ruin their lives.

In the movies, he retired to a freaking farm. They even made fun of it in the movie "Oh great, Thanos retires to his garden" or something like that haha. That's not something a megalomaniac does, merely something someone does who has spent their life working incredibly hard.

The first month of COVID is what I think about sometimes if Thanos was real. Skies are clear, water is cleaner, there's no traffic and very few cars in general. In the movie, they pointed out about how people were starting to see the upside to Thanos ("If you tell me to look on the upside, I'm going to throw my sandwich at you" means she is tired of hearing it) such as seeing a pod of whales in the bay.

TL;DR: Thanos (of the MCU, at least) is probably the most sympathetic villain I've seen in a long time.

Thanos doesn't solve anything though. He just buys time. At least in our case.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mrbojangles25

@horgen said:
@mrbojangles25 said:
@vfighter said:

Thanos doesn't solve anything though. He just buys time. At least in our case.

That's true. People do love to procreate.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 124722 Posts

@mrbojangles25: Nah, they love the act of it, not the end result always. And the first thing can be done safely with minimal risk of procreation.

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 1311 Posts

@Skarwolf: That sounds like a good read. Never heard about it so I just looked it up. Going straight to my back issue list.

Avatar image for blackacezero777
BlackAceZero777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BlackAceZero777
Member since 2021 • 21 Posts

There are two:

Dr. Finitevus from the Archie Sonic Comics: A villain who is disturbed, but not too disturbed to where he is just outright insane. He is intelligent and seems to be a threat that could be much worse, but keeps his intentions to himself, which makes him intriguing. During the "Knuckles: The Return" Arc in Sonic Universe, he brings up the possibility to Knuckles that the Echidna's history has a more darker side to it. Knuckles does defeat him, but he doesn't challenge the possibility of them having a darker history to them. He commands a dark version of Chaos Energy and even has a his own version of the chant that Knuckles and Tikal uses when they are calling upon the power of the Master Emerald.

Superman (Injustice Universe): What I like about this villain is that he isn't necessarily a villain, just a hero with a perspective that could be considered extreme depending on who's asking. He is a grieving man who has gotten tired of giving a pass to villainy and recognizes that the only way to deal with it is to permanently stamp it out. And that's what I like about his character: he's never considered a villain, just a different perspective that challenges Batman's pacifism. When he starts to act upon his ideals, even Batman was close to considering that he may be right.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 297 Posts

Magneto for me. Sometimes a Villian and sometimes an anti hero but he's always been one of my favorite.

Skarwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#24 Skarwolf
Member since 2006 • 2428 Posts

@heathen75: https://viewcomics.me/irredeemable/issue-1/1