You must choose between living in North Korea or Saudi Arabia...or get shot.

• 140 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#101 Posted by BossPerson (9177 posts) -
[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="BossPerson"][QUOTE="Darkman2007"] can't . I don't speak yiddish , couldn't pass for one. funny part is that the name Neturei Karta actually means guardians of the city (I will let you guess which city) back to point though , I think the Saudis did let Henry Kissinger into Saudia , but I think that was an exception to the rule, not too smart to tell the US secretary of state "can't come to our country, youre a Jew".

hmm well Hamas does it. But yes, the Saudi rulers are in a tough situation balancing out anti-semtitism with their monetary interests.

and Im not sure Hamas knows who they are parading around :P , I mean , they don't even hide it., nor do they agree to it because they care about rights and such. its quite funny how the world's state of affairs goes, the Saudis are pretty unnatural allies for the US.

Well not necessairly, America has a history of aligning itself with whoever is strategically "best." Truth is, Americans relations with Saudi arabia were cemented after ww2. It's a cost benefit/analysis. They might prefer to align themselves with a country that looks good for public relations, but at the end of the day, the concrete gains from the relationship outweigh the cost.
#102 Posted by Darkman2007 (17926 posts) -

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="BossPerson"]hmm well Hamas does it. But yes, the Saudi rulers are in a tough situation balancing out anti-semtitism with their monetary interests. BossPerson
and Im not sure Hamas knows who they are parading around :P , I mean , they don't even hide it., nor do they agree to it because they care about rights and such. its quite funny how the world's state of affairs goes, the Saudis are pretty unnatural allies for the US.

Well not necessairly, America has a history of aligning itself with whoever is strategically "best." Truth is, Americans relations with Saudi arabia were cemented after ww2. It's a cost benefit/analysis. They might prefer to align themselves with a country that looks good for public relations, but at the end of the day, the concrete gains from the relationship outweigh the cost.

of course, the Americans need an ally in the Gulf.

or at least a stable ally.

#103 Posted by chrisrooR (9027 posts) -
I'm a man, so Saudi Arabia for sure.
#104 Posted by dramaybaz (6020 posts) -
What about Israel as an atheist?
#105 Posted by Darkman2007 (17926 posts) -
What about Israel as an atheist?dramaybaz
lol, Isral has athiests in it, quite a few of them. seriously the garbage that some people speak.
#106 Posted by BossPerson (9177 posts) -
[QUOTE="dramaybaz"]What about Israel as an atheist?Darkman2007
lol, Isral has athiests in it, quite a few of them. seriously the garbage that some people speak.

what do you mean?
#107 Posted by Darkman2007 (17926 posts) -
[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="dramaybaz"]What about Israel as an atheist?BossPerson

what do you mean?

the idea that somehow it is difficult or dangerous to be an atheist in the country. if it was a question , it was a dumb one, if it was some statement of fact, it was wrong.
#108 Posted by BossPerson (9177 posts) -
[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="BossPerson"][QUOTE="Darkman2007"] lol, Isral has athiests in it, quite a few of them. seriously the garbage that some people speak.

what do you mean?

the idea that somehow it is difficult or dangerous to be an atheist in the country. if it was a question , it was a dumb one, if it was some statement of fact, it was wrong.

serious question- how does the death penalty function in Israel?
#109 Posted by MrPraline (21351 posts) -
Bullet sounds nice. hash tag peace
#110 Posted by Darkman2007 (17926 posts) -
[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="BossPerson"]what do you mean? BossPerson

it more or less doesn't exist. well it does, for Nazi war criminals and "treason during wartime" , but the treason part was never actually done (its almost there for show) , hence why the only person actually executed was Eichman.
#111 Posted by BossPerson (9177 posts) -
[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="BossPerson"][QUOTE="Darkman2007"] the idea that somehow it is difficult or dangerous to be an atheist in the country. if it was a question , it was a dumb one, if it was some statement of fact, it was wrong.

it more or less doesn't exist. well it does, for Nazi war criminals and "treason during wartime" , but the treason part was never actually done (its almost there for show) , hence why the only person actually executed was Eichman.

hmm, thats quite liberal of them tbh.
#112 Posted by Darkman2007 (17926 posts) -
[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="BossPerson"]serious question- how does the death penalty function in Israel? BossPerson

hmm, thats quite liberal of them tbh.

you have to remember alot of laws are hardly implemented when it comes to these things, and were put in place to satisfy various interest groups. this applies to the religious laws, like the law that forbids showing or selling chametz in public on passover, despite the fact that alot of shops sell it anyway
#113 Posted by dramaybaz (6020 posts) -
[QUOTE="dramaybaz"]What about Israel as an atheist?Darkman2007

Same way as it may be considered "horrible" to live in a certain country just because one isn't accustomed, or has biased knowledge about it.
#114 Posted by coolbeans90 (21305 posts) -

I'd see if I could become an alcoholic miner in North Korea, and if they didn't afford me even that one luxury, a bullet to the head would do. Well, not really. I'd die attempting to escape.

#115 Posted by coolbeans90 (21305 posts) -

Saudi Arabia, they allow emigration.

Barbariser

Oh sh!t, forgot about that one.

#116 Posted by Darkman2007 (17926 posts) -
[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="dramaybaz"]What about Israel as an atheist?dramaybaz

Same way as it may be considered "horrible" to live in a certain country just because one isn't accustomed, or has biased knowledge about it.

I don't even understand what youre talking about here.
#117 Posted by Capitan_Kid (6700 posts) -
Im pretty sure SA is the only sane option. Persian chicks are hot
#119 Posted by Big_Pecks (5972 posts) -

I would be a fine sheik.

#120 Posted by Rockman999 (7232 posts) -

Saudi Arabia because I'm a male and middle eastern women are so much hotter than asian women.

The only problem I would have would be having to get a circumcision.

#121 Posted by SaudiFury (8709 posts) -

Saudi Arabia because I'm a male and middle eastern women are so much hotter than asian women.

Rockman999
no... you wouldn't? $hit like this really makes me wonder sometimes....
#122 Posted by Darkman2007 (17926 posts) -
[QUOTE="Rockman999"]

SaudiFury

hey SaudiFury, I was wondering, whats the status of Shias in Saudia? Id imagine they aren't liked too much (at least by the government and maybe clerics) , but whats their official status?
#123 Posted by mariokart64fan (20622 posts) -

rotflol what kind of post is this supposed to be id run ,

i wouldnt let myself get shot nor would i live in either of those places! i am a proud american (though there are some people in the white house i cant stand)

#124 Posted by pie-junior (2866 posts) -
What about Israel as an atheist?dramaybaz
It's among the world leaders in terms of atheist demographics.
#125 Posted by SaudiFury (8709 posts) -

[QUOTE="SaudiFury"][QUOTE="Rockman999"]

Darkman2007

hey SaudiFury, I was wondering, whats the status of Shias in Saudia? Id imagine they aren't liked too much (at least by the government and maybe clerics) , but whats their official status?

their official status? i don't know exactly.

they do continue to face discrimination at least when it comes to employment. but i often hear if your like a Sunni minority in their majority town (like Qatif, or Mubarez which is part of Al Hasa) you'll experience much the same BS.

I know they can't get high security positions like in the military.

I remember reading the outrage in Iraq, when the US made it a part of the deal that only Sunni and Kurds would be allowed to fly the advanced F-16's that America is supposed to sell to Iraq.

and while i do not want to think in terms of stereotypes, like Shia's taking orders from the mullah's in Iran. I don't necessarily want to believe that, but sometimes i see evidence of it.

This is kind of the crux of being in the third world, because sometimes the superstitious stuff that one side says about the other side believes could easily be dismissed in the West, could very well have some grain of truth in the the third world.

It's hard to want to fight for civil rights, when you got people on both sides who seem willing to subvert it. Just looking at the Alawite in charge of Syria holding dictatorship over the majority Sunni population. The same wouldn't be unheard of to happen in Saudi, or Iraq, or anywhere in the Middle East.

but things have gotten much better for Shia's overall in the past 10 years or so. anecdotally speaking most of the Saudi's i know who went to engineering college with me were Shia's, and a about half of them when i went to my grad school.

I remember when the Arab Spring was happening and the Shia's were protesting in Saudi. my friend Mazen and I were anxious and watching, and i told him (and i was right) if they turn this into a Shia vs Sunni thing, the Arab Spring will be a dud in Saudi. and you can always count on them to make it about only them. Shia's make up about 10% of the total population, so in a rough estimate that's like LGBT groups protesting against the straights in America. you'll get nowhere with that strategy. In the end nothing happened except police action in Qatif, the monarchy got a little spooked and did a 'stimulus' package where 70% of the package went to security in one form or another.

and the Saudi government was being pushed pretty hard, Molotov cocktails thrown at police stations, cops getting killed. given that the Shia's are hated by some Sunni's (even in the government), i was surprised that the government exercised constraint and didn't go do old-school crackdown on the town. Like they've done in the past.

#126 Posted by Rockman999 (7232 posts) -

[QUOTE="Rockman999"]

SaudiFury

I was talking about converting to Islam. Isn't a circumcision also required in that religion?

#127 Posted by SaudiFury (8709 posts) -

[QUOTE="SaudiFury"][QUOTE="Rockman999"]

Rockman999

I was talking about converting to Islam. Isn't a circumcision also required in that religion?

no. not that i know of >_> you don't even have to change your name either.
#128 Posted by Rockman999 (7232 posts) -

[QUOTE="Rockman999"]

[QUOTE="SaudiFury"] no... you wouldn't? $hit like this really makes me wonder sometimes....SaudiFury

no. not that i know of >_> you don't even have to change your name either.

Well then my bad. lol

I wouldn't change my name but I would make an effort to at least assimilate into the society if I was going to live there.

#129 Posted by Darkman2007 (17926 posts) -

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="SaudiFury"] no... you wouldn't? $hit like this really makes me wonder sometimes....SaudiFury

so its what I thought more or less.

from what I know, there is some worries that problems in the Shia majority areas , which apparently are mostly in the oil regions, will cause problems with the oil supply and such.

#130 Posted by SaudiFury (8709 posts) -

[QUOTE="SaudiFury"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"] hey SaudiFury, I was wondering, whats the status of Shias in Saudia? Id imagine they aren't liked too much (at least by the government and maybe clerics) , but whats their official status?Darkman2007

from what I know, there is some worries that problems in the Shia majority areas , which apparently are mostly in the oil regions, will cause problems with the oil supply and such.

that's true, the thing is i've never been given a straight answer. yes most of the shia's live in the oil rich eastern province (where i'm from as well) , but are most of the people in the EP are Shia? that i do'nt think so. does that make sense? most Shia's live there, except most of the people overall are still Sunni? Like i know places like Qatif, and Qassim, are Shia towns. and i know like neighborhoods in Dammam, Khobar, and Hofuf that have Shia majority (can almost always tell by the black flags, and or water all over the streets)
#131 Posted by tocool340 (21159 posts) -

Saudi Arabia no contest....

Actually, if I have absolutely no way to leave between both areas, I think I'd rather take a bullet. Not much entertainment from either nation and entertainment is what's keeping me alive today....

#132 Posted by Darkman2007 (17926 posts) -
[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]

[QUOTE="SaudiFury"]

SaudiFury

that's true, the thing is i've never been given a straight answer. yes most of the shia's live in the oil rich eastern province (where i'm from as well) , but are most of the people in the EP are Shia? that i do'nt think so. does that make sense? most Shia's live there, except most of the people overall are still Sunni? Like i know places like Qatif, and Qassim, are Shia towns. and i know like neighborhoods in Dammam, Khobar, and Hofuf that have Shia majority (can almost always tell by the black flags, and or water all over the streets)

well , you know what its like, any problem is a problem , if there are riots even by a minority, it would cause problems.
#133 Posted by Devil-Itachi (4384 posts) -
I would choose Saudi Arabia.
#135 Posted by klusps (10386 posts) -

Probably Saudi Arabia, feel like I can still live a happy life compared to NK where I can starve to death.

#137 Posted by notsoawesome (629 posts) -

How is living in North Korea equal to any of those?

#138 Posted by Angie7F (1175 posts) -

I choose north korea because if you are successful then you sould have more power than you would have than in other countries.

Plus communism doent seem like a bad idea.

I wouldnt want to live in saudi arabia just from what I have heard from what my family experienced hen they did live in saudi.

So much rules to follow plus really hot desert weather?

#139 Posted by nunovlopes (2638 posts) -

Man! This is going to far. People! As a female GSer from the Middle East, I am telling you we live like everyone else on the planet earth. We are gamers, we go to parties, we work, we have boyfriends, we drive, we smoke, we earn money just about what every other person does. But, if I had a choice, I would prefer Saudi Arabia. I can't speak Korean;)khatibi22

Looks like you didn't get the memo. Americans are raised to believe all of ME is a hellhole where you're shot on sight just for being a woman.

#140 Posted by alim298 (2747 posts) -

A bullet in the head is better than sword dancing with Saudi king ( my pity on Bush ) it is also better than not having acces to interned and cheering about a dumb guy becoming leader ( North Korea )