You have 100K loan. Do u go to college or start a business?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RichieTickles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 RichieTickles
Member since 2014 • 424 Posts

Not sure myself. College was nice and all, but it really hasn't worked out for me. I see a lot of people doing things not even closely related to their field and wonder how much better off they'd be had they taken out a small business loan than student loans.

I think had I had the vision and knew what product or service i wanted to provide, I would probably have taken the small business loan.

How bout you guys?

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By osan0
Member since 2004 • 17813 Posts

go to college. with the knowledge i have now i would also more than likely pick a course more suited to me.

i also dont have an entrepreneurial bone in my body.

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

I go to college in Europe and save at least half of that money. Then with my shiney new degree I get employed with a solid sum of money to comfortably start my adult life.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

I'd complain that I'd only get a 100K loan based on the amount I've saved up since I was 15 years old.

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

college

4/5 businesses fail

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6  Edited By mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

Depends on the country you're living in ....

If i was in America i'd go with college ... they value knowledge.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

I'd make it fixed deposit and enjoy its interest monthly or quaterly. I've no need for college as i passed college nor buisness as i got no buissness ideas.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

I'd bolster my web dev business, maybe hire a couple people so I can take more clients.

Already have a Bachelor's in Computer Science and have no interest in furthering my education

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts

given those two probably college. while i see the appeal of owning a successful business, the actually drudgery of running the fucking thing does not appeal to me at all.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#10  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

@indzman: Start a sexy business =P

@richietickles: I'd say college but that depends on the person. Going to college to study something that you couldn't care less about or going for some easy courses that will be useless so that you can say you have a college degree seems like a huge waste of time...

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 indzman

@korvus said:

@indzman: Start a sexy business =P

Only if you become my partner =P

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#12 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

@indzman: Not sure my wife would be pleased with me if I said "hey hon, met this guy online and now I'm his sexy partner" =P

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 indzman

@korvus said:

@indzman: Not sure my wife would be pleased with me if I said "hey hon, met this guy online and now I'm his sexy partner" =P

HaHa

I mean you become my partner on sexy buisness , but then again it'd be like "hey hon, met this guy online and now I'm his partner on sexy" =P

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By bforrester420
Member since 2014 • 3480 Posts

Go to college, without question. If you obtain a science degree or a business arts related degree (business administration, accounting, etc), you'll likely never have too much trouble finding gainful employment.

Your business could fail and then you're left with nothing...and no college education on which to fall back.

Expane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 Expane
Member since 2003 • 560 Posts

If you have relatives in the Venture Capitol area, start a business, get investments, cash out your garbage fake business for profit, continue to be rich like your VC relatives.

If like the rest of the 99.99% of us you are not Mitt Romney's spawn, go to college.

$100k lasts about 1 week for most new businesses.

A college degree is something you can have forever.

fenriz275

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 fenriz275
Member since 2003 • 2383 Posts

Unless the job you want requires a college degree going into debt to get a degree is a huge waste of time for most people. Especially when that debt gets into 6 figures. College has become a scam that's gotten too many people saddled with debts that will take them decades to pay off (if ever) for degrees that are worthless. Sadly your business will probably fail as well so your best bet is to get a job you hate like most people, buy lottery tickets to keep a tiny bit of hope alive and drink good booze when you can afford it, cheap when you can't.

RichieTickles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 RichieTickles

Alright, I think this theoretical question needs some classification:

The 100k figure I pulled out was just a number. I could have said a million or 10 grand, I just chose something that sounded like a middle ground between small business and college loans.

When I asked the question, I was more looking at what people would have done back when they finished high school, but I only get 60 characters >_< and forgot to specify in my post.

IMO, if you have an idea and you're passionate about it, taking a couple classes at a community college to get educated on the basics to intermediate stuff is a cost effective means. Of course, I don't like the idea of running the business everyday for the rest my life, but that's when you step aside and bring someone else in to do it and you still get money cause you own the company is a nice thing.

RichieTickles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 RichieTickles
@Expane said:

pfft, yeah it's also something you can have forever and never get you a job when there are none available.

People have waited 20 years to finally get something in their original field of study. Fact is, the investment in a college degree doesn't mean you'll get a job... but you won't hear guidance councilors in schools say that.

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 bforrester420

@richietickles said:
@Expane said:

pfft, yeah it's also something you can have forever and never get you a job when there are none available.

People have waited 20 years to finally get something in their original field of study. Fact is, the investment in a college degree doesn't mean you'll get a job... but you won't hear guidance councilors in schools say that.

If you get the right degree...teaching, nursing, engineering...you'll never have trouble finding a job. If you get the wrong degree...Sociology, History, English...you will always have trouble finding a job.

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By bforrester420

@fenriz275 said:

Unless the job you want requires a college degree going into debt to get a degree is a huge waste of time for most people. Especially when that debt gets into 6 figures. College has become a scam that's gotten too many people saddled with debts that will take them decades to pay off (if ever) for degrees that are worthless. Sadly your business will probably fail as well so your best bet is to get a job you hate like most people, buy lottery tickets to keep a tiny bit of hope alive and drink good booze when you can afford it, cheap when you can't.

Lottery Tickets are what I consider the "Stupid Tax". Only the statistically stupid waste their money on Lottery tickets, and they're taxed accordingly. Seriously, you're statistically more likely to get hit by lightening, survive, and then die in a plane crash on the same day.

Expane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24 Expane
Member since 2003 • 560 Posts

@richietickles said:
@Expane said:

The "in your field" part is an unnecessary self restriction. I haven't worked in my field in 15 years, yet I make more money and am more satisfied now than ever at work.

I never would have gotten the entry level job w/o the degree.

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#25 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts

Between those two choices? Neither. I already graduated from college and I have no urge to return, and I don't have the slightest clue how to run a business.

aryianna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 aryianna
Member since 2015 • 118 Posts

Start a business. We have a huge following for a gaming store here in our area and could make a go of it easily but just do not have the funds. Sad really but maybe some time in the future. A girl and a dream

TJDMHEM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TJDMHEM
Member since 2006 • 3260 Posts

I would go to college.

ps3hdalltime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28 ps3hdalltime
Member since 2012 • 427 Posts

I'd go to college

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Ariabed
Member since 2014 • 2121 Posts

Is 100k enough to start a business?

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30 LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

@mjorh said:

Depends on the country you're living in ....

If i was in America i'd go with college ... they value knowledge.

Exacto !

W--K--A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 W--K--A
Member since 2005 • 7183 Posts

Business assuming you are smart and have a good work ethic.

College if you are lazy and not intelligent.

The university and college system has been dumbed down so much in the US and Canada it is pathetic. It is trivially easy to graduate with a great GPA from nearly any school if you have even average intelligence.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#33  Edited By br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

Depends entirely on the situation. College wins by default, but there are scenarios where I would consider another option.

Rather than starting a business, I'd probably look for a well-established single location small business with a good return rate (that's customers) that's looking to expand and buy a controlling share. I'd do a hell of a lot of research about the market its serving and looking to expand into, the competition, overhead costs and all that fun stuff before taking the jump, but there are good opportunities out there if you know where and how to look, how to gather information on fees and taxes and public records (which means navigating local government) how to audit and so on...it's a hell of a lot of work.

But so is college.

BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#34 BiancaDK
Member since 2008 • 19092 Posts

easy choice; neither

don't need college and don't need to run a small business

why would i spend my money in order to get the chance to do what is basically work, when i could be spending it on something fun that has no strings attached to it

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

I would just smoke a whole lot of crack.

W--K--A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 W--K--A
Member since 2005 • 7183 Posts

@magicalclick said:

@W--K--A:

So which school you went to at what degree for what major?

I won't reveal what university I attended for obvious reasons, but I have 7 degrees which I completed in just about 9 years.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

That's too vague a question to answer objectively as it depends on the country, the person involved and his ability, the business...etc. But in general, I say unless you'll be going to a high-end university pursuing a degree that will grant you access to a high-paying career, go for your own business. College is great and expedient when done right, but few people do or have the means to do it right. As such, it ends up being a waste of money and, most importantly, time.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@BiancaDK said:

easy choice; neither

don't need college and don't need to run a small business

why would i spend my money in order to get the chance to do what is basically work, when i could be spending it on something fun that has no strings attached to it

Except that in this situation, it's a loan, so it DOES have strings attached.

Don't get me wrong...I see no inherent problem with having fun by going on a 100k spending spree. But you don't do that on a LOAN, that's stupid as hell. The bottom line is that you don't get a 100k loan unless you're expecting that money to generate more money. That requires work. If you don't want to work, then you don't take a 100k loan AT ALL.

And furthermore, you're gonna have a hard time GETTING a 100k loan for anything other than "work". The simple reason is that the people giving you the loan want their money back (and more). If you're not using the money for work, and are just using it to dick around and have fun on 100k, then what reason do the lenders have to believe that you're ever going to be able to pay them back? Sure, you could LIE about what you're using the money for, and then you could have a really good time with that 100k dollars (for a little while). The problem is, now you're potentially on the hook for fraud once it's discovered that your unpaid 100k loan for business expenses was actually used to party in the Bahamas. I hope that loan was worth going to prison for (or worth ending up with your body parts washing up on the beach, if you happen to go with some of the shadier lenders).

And again...there's absolutely nothing wrong with spending $100k to have fun. But you don't take out a goddamn $100k loan for that.

BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#39 BiancaDK
Member since 2008 • 19092 Posts

@MrGeezer: lol that's responsible behaviour

hogwash i tell ye

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#40 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Business. I'm already done with my studies,,, for now.

kokomo88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 kokomo88
Member since 2004 • 7664 Posts

Start a business

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#42 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

As a truck driver, $100K would make for the beginning's of a great freight hauling company.

However, at this point in my career, I'd put it away until I have the driving/delivery experience to go out on my own.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#43 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

Spend it on lotto tickets, with all the tickets I can buy with that money maybe i'll hit the jackpot.