sanghelle56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1 sanghelle56
Member since 2017 • 499 Posts

First and foremost, this movie is so f**ed up, that the even irony of the pleasant theme music can't erase what I just saw. WOW.

Any mondo film fans here? The only exploitation films I really watch are the assassin and sci-fi ones. But whoa.....this is something else. Banned in like, what 20 freaking countries?? Lol.

I've known about it ever since I turned old enough to watch grindhouse goodness, minus the roughies that are basically smut. This hits so different and is.....disturbing af. I will have shivers for the next few days.

Omg that poor tortoise....like, wtf? I couldn't look. They showed the whole creature being massacred....yes, I know, it was an actual turtle. 🤮 I can't bring myself to watch this shit again. Yo....just yo.

Avatar image for deactivated-628e6669daebe
deactivated-628e6669daebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2 deactivated-628e6669daebe
Member since 2020 • 3637 Posts

Shitty movie. I rented it in my local videoclub many many years ago (maybe 30) and found it to be absolutely pointless.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34572 Posts

So, the movie is shit, and they torture and kill animals for real for said shitty movie. Yeah, I haven't seen this fucking crap and never will. Would rather see the director tortured and killed.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

I watched it ages ago, never got the fascination with it. It's a pretty shitty movie that I thought was tame (it's always labeled as one of the most brutal horror flicks) and the turtle scene is just bs.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8762 Posts

First encountered Cannibal Holocaust working at a box office at a movie theater. Theater showed old movies on Saturday nights. Didn't do my film study on CH and there were no smart phones at the time. There was a fellow employee who I thought was pretty hot. She was giddy to see CH. I stayed at the box office. The sounds and the music are terrifying. I didn't watch any of it. When it ended, all the happy film goers where leaving and I could not look at that pretty girl. Swore I'd never watch it.

Watched it years later. If I remember right, there was a CH thread on GS and I felt it was time to see what I hadn't seen, but heard. Not a good film. Terrible. The worst part was the murder of a coati, for me. Some of the stuff they killed could have been eaten, like the turtle and the pig. But the coati was the most shocking.

All in all a terrible film with a decent score, attempted to make a message. Failed. More like an excuse. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. I suppose film studygoer might find a reason to see it. But did I mention it's terrible?

sanghelle56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By sanghelle56

@DEVILinIRON: Bro, no hot chick is worth seeing this hour and 31 minutes of putridity. She needs therapy if she liked it, lofl

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts
@sanghelle56 said:

First and foremost, this movie is so f**ed up, that the even irony of the pleasant theme music can't erase what I just saw. WOW.

Any mondo film fans here? The only exploitation films I really watch are the assassin and sci-fi ones. But whoa.....this is something else. Banned in like, what 20 freaking countries?? Lol.

The Mondo genre is, interesting for sure. Although IMO underappreciated, the Italians have made a number of worthy films.

Cannibal Holocaust has a reputation far greater than its actual bite and it reminds me a bit of Faces of Death.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#8 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58842 Posts

Do agree, while I don't think the movie is great and it has actual images of animals being killed alive, which sucks. The music score is legit creeps.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

@vfighter said:

I watched it ages ago, never got the fascination with it. It's a pretty shitty movie that I thought was tame (it's always labeled as one of the most brutal horror flicks) and the turtle scene is just bs.

Infamy. Nothing else to it. There's a weird group of edgelords out there that like shit like this because it makes them feel hardcore to say they like it to the faces of those that find it gross.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By uninspiredcup
@girlusocrazy said:

I don't think I could watch something that depraved and gratuitous

Aside from the animal abuse (recall bit with tribe members cutting open a live turtle), it's nowhere near as bad as publicized. By modern standards probably laugh at some of it. Probably seen worse (real stuff) accidentally while frequenting the internet.

A thing to take into account, specifically in the United Kingdom, was video nasties.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_nasty

As mentioned above basically gave notoriety to stuff. A lot of it was from Mary Whitehouse who was some weird old, conservative Christian who was shit scared of how it wasn't the 1950's any more.

If look at the list of movies, many are basically just corny ass exploitation movies. Elicit a chuckle nowadays.

Basically the video equivalent of reefer madness.

sanghelle56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 sanghelle56

@uninspiredcup: Is it still illegal to watch in the UK? I know British politics aren't much different from Uncle Sam. Reminds me of Mortal Kombat when it first blew up. Except MK has sentimental value, unlike CH

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By uninspiredcup

@sanghelle56:

The film was not approved for release in the UK until 2001, albeit with nearly six minutes of mandated cuts. In 2011, the BBFC waived all but one of these previous edits and passedCannibal Holocaustwith fifteen seconds of cuts. It was determined that the only scene that breached the BBFC's guidelines was the killing of acoatimundi, and the BBFC acknowledged that previous cuts were reactionary to the film's reputation.[38]

lol

The only reason to consider removing it would be for the animal clips, that would actually agree with.

Not that it matters. Nowadays get whatever want in 30 seconds. Back then VHS shops, imports or sharing pirated copies.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3479 Posts

I remember this film being available on Amazon Video. Yes, it is indeed a messed up film and even I have found it shocking. Were the tribe real or just actors?

sanghelle56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By sanghelle56

@omegamaster: I believe they were real. Just adds to the reputation.

Like, could they even comprehend the fact that their culture was being exploited so they looked like savages? Prob not.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58271 Posts

The movie is terrible and, I'm just going to throw this out there: you can make a good movie and be a dick to animals (Apocalypse Now managed to do so). We've killed countless monkeys and mice and rats in the name of science, I think you could make the argument a few animals here and there for artistic expression is OK if the art is actually good and means something significant.

But if you make a shit movie and you're a dick to animals, there's a special place in hell for you.

If you're going to do something like that, you nail the artistic side of it and make sure the animals died for something.

@jaydan said:
@vfighter said:

Infamy. Nothing else to it. There's a weird group of edgelords out there that like shit like this because it makes them feel hardcore to say they like it to the faces of those that find it gross.

Yup.

"Oh you like F'd up movies?"

"Yeah, I guess. Cannibal Holocaust was pretty cool"

"Oh right on you like Cannibal Holocaust? I like Cannibal Holocaust. Wanna go talk about how awesome we are and how other people are lame?

"Sure. Maybe we can talk about that turtle killing scene in public and alienate people."

@uninspiredcup said:

it's nowhere near as bad as publicized. By modern standards probably laugh at some of it. Probably seen worse (real stuff) accidentally while frequenting the internet.

Yeah, I mean, on one hand I think the internet has kind of ruined me in some respects because between all the sites with pictures of dead people, industrial accidents, videos of people actually dying, and stuff like that...Cannibal Holocaust is a Saturday-morning cartoon.

My safety advisor at work actually showed us real forklift accidents where people died. It was far more shocking than Cannibal Holocaust. Don't work in a factory in the third world, folks, that's all I'm going to say.

But I guess in a vacuum, in the context of the decade it was released, people might have found it shocking. You have to remember though that married couples used to sleep is separate beds, alcohol was illegal at one point, and so on. So, really...what wasn't shocking to people at one time or another?

We've come a long way, to me Cannibal Holocaust is a good example of how far we've come....for better or worse.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8186 Posts

@Solaryellow: Faces of Death is better.

My mom used to watch that with me as a kid lol

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8186 Posts

@sanghelle56: If you want to watch a ****** up movie check out Gummo.

Gummo isn't real or anything but the setting and premise just makes you want to take a shower afterwards.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 uninspiredcup

@mrbojangles25 said:

Yeah, I mean, on one hand I think the internet has kind of ruined me in some respects because between all the sites with pictures of dead people, industrial accidents, videos of people actually dying, and stuff like that...Cannibal Holocaust is a Saturday-morning cartoon.

My safety advisor at work actually showed us real forklift accidents where people died. It was far more shocking than Cannibal Holocaust. Don't work in a factory in the third world, folks, that's all I'm going to say.

But I guess in a vacuum, in the context of the decade it was released, people might have found it shocking. You have to remember though that married couples used to sleep is separate beds, alcohol was illegal at one point, and so on. So, really...what wasn't shocking to people at one time or another?

We've come a long way, to me Cannibal Holocaust is a good example of how far we've come....for better or worse.

Yea. Use to hang around 4Chan was younger, it's like a competition to see who can post the foulest content. And it's obv a very, very popular website.

Years prior to the proliferation of the internet (for people 35+) be quite hard to come across this stuff, maybe from magazines or what not. But now it is kind of worrying that not really adults but kids (who do 100% hang around sites like 4chan) view this content on a regular basis, and the way sites like 4chan work, it's presented as something to be giggled at. Glad don't hang around that shithole any-more.

Some sections are still decent but shit like random and pol, keep away from that, schitzo land.